Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,880,975 Views | 38852 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by AgDev01
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TamuKid said:

agcrock2005 said:

I'm sure people will give you **** in here for trying to trade your "$30 screw top" bottle for something much better and harder to find but I just traded a W12 straight up for a RHF in Dallas so it's possible. Can't believe there's so much value in W12 these days.
You cracked the RHF yet? If so, what'd ya think? I'm wanting one to do a flight lineup of Mashbill #2.
I haven't yet because of the damn virus. My buddy and I both collect bourbon and we have one night a week where we get together and open new bottles. Have this one and a few other good bottles that we're waiting to try when we're allowed to assemble again. Can't wait to try it though.
CactusThomas
AG
I picked up a HH BiB today in preparation for a blind tasting. My bourbon club has been doing a BiB shootout but instead of getting together we are just doing it on our own and comparing results.

The four we are tasting are Heaven Hill, Dickel, EHT and Henry McKenna. I have added Old Forester to my list as well. I'll have my wife set them up for me in a couple days. So far my buddies results have been surprising. Dickel and HH doing well - mac10, not so much.

SweaterVest
AG
Are y'all all tasting the same bottle of HM?
CactusThomas
AG
No, I'm tasting my own. Some of the others did pass samples of it.
SpiderDude
AG
Anyone seen Old Ezra 7 on the shelf recently? Mine is dwindling fast and I'd like to get my hands on another bottle. I'd consider a trade for something of similar value. I'm kicking myself for not buying a backup bottle months ago when I had the chance.
TamuKid
AG
SpiderDude said:

Anyone seen Old Ezra 7 on the shelf recently? Mine is dwindling fast and I'd like to get my hands on another bottle. I'd consider a trade for something of similar value. I'm kicking myself for not buying a backup bottle months ago when I had the chance.

TW Arboretum has a decent amount on the counter yesterday. 27 bucks. Also had ECBP A120, EHT SmB, Hibiki, and HH BiB.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I assume you mean 27 for the discontinued 7/101?

27 would be a great price for the 117. I'd stock up for myself and to keep for gift/thank you bottles at that price
TamuKid
AG
Don't really know anything about the OE7. Just know they had it for $27. Not sure which "batch" or proof it was. I picked up the A120 (it was limit 1 of anything in the counter).
CactusThomas
AG
It's all gone anyhow.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
I do not like the dickel at all. I gave it another chance last night and could barely finish the pour.
TamuKid
AG
I didn't understand all the hate for the Dickel at first. I thought it was a decent pour the first couple times (not whiskey of the year level, but decent). I've come back to it a few times since the first week it was opened, and I've not cared for it. I feel like it changed for the worse after I opened.
CharlieBrown17
AG
So there used to be a 7 yr 101 proof bottle but it's been replaced by a 7 yr 117 proof.

The 117 proof is usually 35-40 bucks, so 27 would be a steal
AggBock
AG
Saw a few bottles of Elijah Craig Harrell proof and HH BIB at liquor galor in Weatherford. They are stocked full of Weller as well. Really like that store.
RK
AG
12 or special?
TamuKid
AG
Googled them... it was definitely the 117, and not the old 101 style. Maybe I should have grabbed one of those instead of the ECBP! Next time.
agcrock2005
AG
What kind of weller? I really like W12 at $30.
CactusThomas
AG
Texas_Aggie91 said:

I do not like the dickel at all. I gave it another chance last night and could barely finish the pour.

I've never had a straight bourbon whiskey- Lincoln county process or otherwise- that I had a hard time finishing so I'm not worried about that.

I really like Dickel under the Barrell and SAOS labels. I've not tried a Dickel branded product in 15+ years. And I don't plan on trying this BiB until I taste them blind.
AggBock
AG
Special reserve which is getting very hard to find.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
I noticed the same thing. Didn't think it was great the first time. I let it sit for a couple months before trying again and thought it was even worse.
Sixdrakes
AG
Almost all the big Houston area chains received the OE7 last week.
AggBock
AG
I tried a buffalo trace old fashion tonight. It was great. I have been using Bulleit Rye but may have to switch
Sazerac
AG
Total Wine doesn't even have Elijah Craig in stock anymore.

And no sweet vermouth at all. This is craziness!
SpiderDude
AG
cclearman said:

Total Wine doesn't even have Elijah Craig in stock anymore.

And no sweet vermouth at all. This is craziness!

SpiderDude
AG
AggBock said:

I tried a buffalo trace old fashion tonight. It was great. I have been using Bulleit Rye but may have to switch

I got you beat. Made a smoked Old Fashioned with Bookers 2019-3 "Honey Ham" last night. Quite possibly the best OF I ever tasted...at home or at a bar.
TamuKid
AG
Perfect Texas night tonight!

https://instagr.am/p/B_L72TtAIYd
mazag08
AG
AggBock said:

BT is at its best in cocktails.
mazag08
AG
I picked up a bottle of Blade and Bow a little over a month ago. Haven't really spent much time with it, but gave it a whirl last night. I'm surprised how good it is. It was kind of a an impulse buy as I got suckered in with the bottle presentation. After looking it up, I decided to give it a chance.

Classification: Straight Bourbon
Company: Diageo
Distillery: Combination of bourbon distilled by the Stitzel-Weller Distilling Company and other straight bourbons
Released: April 2018
Proof: 91
Mashbill: Undisclosed
Color: Light Copper
MSRP: $50 (2018)
Official Website

Blade and Bow is produced at the original site of the iconic Stitzel-Weller Distillery in Louisville, Kentucky. The original distillery closed its doors in 1992, and Diageo reopened the facility in 2014. In regards to the origins of the Blade and Bow name, it represents the two parts of a skeleton key, the blade shaft and the ornate bow. Diageo states that "The Blade and Bow brand is a tribute to the five keys that once hung on the door of the Stitzel-Weller Distillery," which stands for the five steps of making bourbon - grains, yeast, fermentation, distillation, and aging.

Unlike it's older brother
Blade and Bow 22 Year, the standard No Age Statement (NAS) Blade and Bow is produced by utilizing the solera aging method. According to Diageo, some of the last bourbon produced at Stitzel-Weller is used in their solera system. They state that "Older bourbon from Stitzel-Weller is mingled with other younger whiskies. No barrel is ever fully drained, ensuring the oldest bourbon is always present."
TamuKid
AG
TamuKid said:

I have a Weller 12 I'd like to turn into something else. Anyone in the greater Austin area with an ETL or RHF that would be willing to trade?
I should have phrased this better, probably.

I have a Weller 12 I'd like to trade... is there anyone with an RHF that would be willing to trade for a W12 as the primary value exchange? Could potentially even out with cash or another bottle (ER, BT Store Picks, etc).

If so, please PM me.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

I got you beat. Made a smoked Old Fashioned with Bookers 2019-3 "Honey Ham" last night. Quite possibly the best OF I ever tasted...at home or at a bar.

Care to share the how to? I'm not a huge fan of smoked drinks but if you say it's the best ever.... and I've got that Ham.
AggBock
AG
I found EH Taylor today. Can't wait to try it. My store was stocked up today.
agcrock2005
AG
Which one? There are a lot of different ones.
Bert315
AG
AggBock said:

I found EH Taylor today. Can't wait to try it. My store was stocked up today.

Where you at? Been trying to find it for a while.
SpiderDude
AG
I posted previously on the Cocktail thread... if you read that you'd already know!

SpiderDude said:

I just made a smoked Old Fashioned. I won't list the ingredients cuz everyone has their own preference on an OF but this is how I smoke it... you'll need a torch and cedar plank (I buy the ones for smoking salmon at HEB):

1. Place dried herb (Rosemary recommended) on cedar plank.
2. Hit it with the torch until it is burning... you could use matches or lighter but torch is better.
3. Immediately cover with your (upside down) Old Fashioned glass (the glass you'll be serving your OF in). This will both extinguish the fire and smoke will accumulate on surface of the inside of glass).
4. Use a mixing glass to combine your preferred OF ingredients and stir over ice.
5. Once prepared you can flip your OF serving glass over...add a big block of ice and pour OF over the top. Add garnish of choice (I like flamed/expressed orange peel combined with luxardo cherry).
6. Enjoy.

https://instagr.am/p/B-2x9bDDEJZ

Edit:
This was a previous one made with Knob Creek SB 120. Of course as previously noted you need only add a recycled wine bottle and essay from creative writing and, voila... Bookers!
schwack schwack
AG
Thanks for the step by step. I haven't been on the cocktail thread in a while but did steer another poster over there recently. I've obviously missed some good stuff.
AggBock
AG
It is the normal small batch one. Bottles in bond. I found it in Weatherford Texas. They had 12 of them. Should I go get more tomorrow? I think they were $60. They told me they have blantons once a month. I think I will go every tuesday until I stumble on the blantons.
First Page Last Page
Page 440 of 1111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.