Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,917,682 Views | 39221 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by AgCzar
tripperwill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What state are you in?
austinag1997
AG
Guessing Virginia... their lottery was yesterday I believe.
AgDev01
AG
Virginia is correct.
AGdent07
AG
I've got some friends going on a cruise to Cozumel and thought about having them pick me up some duty free bourbon. Any idea what is typically available on the cruise ship? Or what is available from the liquor stores in Cozumel? Thanks for any help.

I was in Fort Worth last weekend and found some amazing stuff (George T Stagg, Michters 10 year, Weller 107 and CYPB) but the prices were out of this world. Really would love to get my hands on some of those without getting taken to the woodshed.
MJ20/20
AG
As difficult as Blanton's is to find here in the states, it is proportionately easy to find in duty free, shops abroad, etc... Blanton's gold, straight from the barrel, etc.. is readily available at these overseas outlets. If you have a hard time finding the exact bottle that you have in mind, buy as much Blanton's offerings as you can find and bring them back to trade for the item's on your wish list.
AGdent07
AG
Yeah Ive seen lots of people bringing back blantons. Wasnt sure if that was on the cruise ship or in the shops.
StEdsCOOG
Makers RC6 hit a few Spec's stores today. The I10/Bingle location has 9 bottles left (received 12) as of 8pm. Limited to one per customer and I had to ask for a bottle as it wasn't on the shelves.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
StEdsCOOG said:

Makers RC6 hit a few Spec's stores today. The I10/Bingle location has 9 bottles left (received 12) as of 8pm. Limited to one per customer and I had to ask for a bottle as it wasn't on the shelves.

Thoughts? I've heard mixed reviews leaning towards not worth the money.
MJ20/20
AG
I like the RC6 a lot but I don't know that it's that much better than maker's cask strength to justify the cost.
Wheatables02
AG
If someone finds an extra makers rc6 in DFW, I'd love to buy it or trade for it.
TamuKid
AG
I know it isn't bourbon, but I just picked up some caribou crossing at the Mueller total wine. Not sure how much more they had left, but they did put another box on the counter as I was checking out.
jh0400
AG
Is that stuff actually worth drinking, or do people buy it because of the bottle?
SpiderDude
AG
jh0400 said:

Is that stuff actually worth drinking, or do people buy it because of the bottle?

Speaking of which... has Buffalo Trace threatened litigation for trademark infringement (Blanton's)?!
John Francis Donaghy
SpiderDude said:

jh0400 said:

Speaking of which... has Buffalo Trace threatened litigation for trademark infringement (Blanton's)?!
Considering the Buffalo Trace Distillery, Blantons, and Caribou Crossing are all owned by Sazerac, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess no.

Also, that's the bottle Sazerac uses for Rock Hill Farms, not Blantons.
TamuKid
AG
jh0400 said:

Will let you know soon... never had it. Never seen it anywhere. Saw it on the counter and figured it'd be worth a try. It is a neat bottle/stopper. At 80 proof, I have a feeling it's going to be a bit light compared to the usual fare.
mazag08
AG
Sipping on Four Roses Single barrel now. Probably had this stuff over 50 times in my life. But it never gets old. It's not top of the line stuff. But absolutely ridiculous how good it is for the price.

Hint: add a very small splash of water. It will subdue the tannic notes and release more of the floral flavors.
SpiderDude
AG
Ahhh... knew Sazerac owned BT but didn't realize they owned Caribou Crossing. That makes sense now.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

In three years of looking (not hunting), I've never seen a Rock Hill Farms in DFW. Anyone ever see it anymore, or is that something you have to get secondary or out-of-state? I'd love to grab one. Hell I saw someone trading a Weller antique for a RHF AND cash on Facebook the other day. Crazy.
FTAco07
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

In three years of looking (not hunting), I've never seen a Rock Hill Farms in DFW. Anyone ever see it anymore, or is that something you have to get secondary or out-of-state? I'd love to grab one. Hell I saw someone trading a Weller antique for a RHF AND cash on Facebook the other day. Crazy.

This doesn't answer your question, but I actually had some for the first time at a bar in Chicago yesterday. If anybody is ever in the Windy City you need to go to Loan Wolf. Great bourbon selection at very reasonable prices. I had a Rock Hill Farms, Weller Full Proof, and Weller CYPB. CYPB was really good and was the best relative value on the list for only $18 I believe.
MW03
AG
The best selection I have ever personally seen was at a bar in San Francisco called Hard Water. Cool bar, good views of the bay. Somewhat expensive, relatively speaking, but it is San Francisco so what do you expect.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/51364d9fe4b055d8b61af131/t/5de80deb6509bf0b18b1fc7a/1575489005001/WhiskeyList_2019_12_pages.pdf
AGdent07
AG
There's a restaurant in Galveston called Number 13 with a great selection of bourbons. They have the entire Pappy line (you can do a flight). Actually they just got the entire line of EH Taylor. I sampled RHF there last time.
John Francis Donaghy
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

RHF used to be my go-to. Haven't seen a bottle on a shelf in DFW since about 2014.
agcrock2005
AG
Figures...that's right when I started looking.
FTAco07
AG
Also, if you're ever in LA you need to do whatever it takes to go to Old Lightning. Its an easy way to drop a couple grand if you want to, but even drinking more affordable bottles is awesome just because of the stuff they carry and are happy to show you and talk about.

https://punchdrink.com/articles/old-lightning-bar-venice-built-greatest-rare-spirits-collection-best-bars-la/
Wheatables02
AG
MW03 said:

The best selection I have ever personally seen was at a bar in San Francisco called Hard Water. Cool bar, good views of the bay. Somewhat expensive, relatively speaking, but it is San Francisco so what do you expect.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/51364d9fe4b055d8b61af131/t/5de80deb6509bf0b18b1fc7a/1575489005001/WhiskeyList_2019_12_pages.pdf
This place and Jack Rose Saloon in DC
Vade281
AG
My favorite bar to go to every year is San Antonio's esquire tavern's downstairs. Flights of Pappy's for 85 bucks and BTAC for 20 dollars an ounce.
SpiderDude
AG
MW03 said:

I got you beat...The Whiskey House in San Diego (Gaslamp District)...their website claims they hold the Guinness World Record for most whiskeys:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTOCg_yXIubr37Ve8sWYI9C6sW2dzrXMJvy-KvcRqhagNbNvQjt
CactusThomas
AG
I prefer the dry bean.
Sixdrakes
AG
Wheatables02 said:

If someone finds an extra makers rc6 in DFW, I'd love to buy it or trade for it.
I can ship you one from Houston
Wheatables02
AG
Sixdrakes said:

Wheatables02 said:

Very generous - thank you!

I will be out of town for a week starting this weekend. If I don't have one in about 10 days, can we talk?
Sixdrakes
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Sixdrakes said:

Wheatables02 said:

Very generous - thank you!

I will be out of town for a week starting this weekend. If I don't have one in about 10 days, can we talk?
Yes
Post removed:
by user
Daytona22
AG
MW03 said:

Multnomah Whiskey Library in Portland is another impressive whiskey bar that's similar in collection size to Hard Water. Hard Water is a great spot in SF.
MW03
AG
Celebrating the end of a major work project with a pour of WP15. Fantastic rye, even if overpriced.
austinag1997
AG
MJ20/20 said:

I like the RC6 a lot but I don't know that it's that much better than maker's cask strength to justify the cost.

Interesting. Makers Cask Strength to me is a 375mL bottle with a plain white label. What is in stores today is comletely different.
First Page Last Page
Page 415 of 1121

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.