Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

5,005,813 Views | 40254 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Shaggie 05
V8Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not a fan of peat.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
mazag08
AG
That's an extreme way to transition to scotch.
MW03
AG
mazag08 said:

That's an extreme way to transition to scotch.

Lol
MW03
AG
Back to bourbon, I typically drink mine neat these days. Some pours just taste better with a little water, or on the rocks. Case in point: Dickel BiB. Tried it neat and thought it was decent enough. Trying it on the rocks now, and it mutes the "vitamin" flavor and I'm really enjoying the peanut taste. Totally different booze on ice.
AgDev01
AG
mazag08 said:

Just read the Old Forrester is updating their single barrel selections. The 90 proof will be gone and replaced with 100 proof at $50 recommended retail price. There will also be barrel strength at $80. Initially 200 and 150 bottles to be expected respectively.

Big Old Forrester fan here. Highly underrated stuff.
The Rye and 100 proof are my go to cheaper stuff. Looking forward to try these out.
Johnsy3
AG
MW03 said:

Back to bourbon, I typically drink mine neat these days. Some pours just taste better with a little water, or on the rocks. Case in point: Dickel BiB. Tried it neat and thought it was decent enough. Trying it on the rocks now, and it mutes the "vitamin" flavor and I'm really enjoying the peanut taste. Totally different booze on ice.

I'll usually start neat, then halfway through add a drop of water to open up the flavor to finish. I've been trying higher proof bourbons lately and I feel like ice mutes the flavor too much. Haven't had ice in a while.

What are this board's thoughts on Laws 4 Grain? It has one of the most interesting noses of any whiskey I've ever smelt. However, my pours alternate between loving it and just liking it.
mazag08
AG
I rarely add water or ice. I like to get a feel for the flavor through multiple tastings before I experiment with presentation. Then I'll add a drop or two of water and see if it opens it up more or balances it better. But to each their own. No right way to enjoy whiskey.

The poster on the previous page got in my head and I purchased the Woodford double oaked. There's not much to the nose. On the front you get heavy vanilla and a little char. On the finish I'm tasting coffee and a slight tartness. It's got a stronger mouthfeel than you would expect for a 90 proof. I enjoyed this tasting much more than the last one. Woodford is so damn solid with every release and they really nail their flavors. If they all suddenly got pulled from all shelves and we're purely secondary market, I think you would see them explode in popularity and price.
62strat
AG
Just picked up an EHTaylor small batch.. It was only $40, I was surprised, I thought the price point on those were a bit higher. My first time coming across one in a while.

Meanwhile, this single barrel drop at my local shop will sit for a few weeks I bet; ER doesn't seem to move here like in TX apparently.

Aggie Pharmer
AG
62strat said:

Just picked up an EHTaylor small batch.. It was only $40, I was surprised, I thought the price point on those were a bit higher. My first time coming across one in a while.

Meanwhile, this single barrel drop at my local shop will sit for a few weeks I bet; ER doesn't seem to move here like in TX apparently.

TamuKid
AG
Pretty cool they have the actual barrels the ER and BT came from, too.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
62strat said:

Texans are dumb
Ducks4brkfast
AG
mazag08 said:

Just read the Old Forrester is updating their single barrel selections. The 90 proof will be gone and replaced with 100 proof at $50 recommended retail price. There will also be barrel strength at $80. Initially 200 and 150 bottles to be expected respectively.

Big Old Forrester fan here. Highly underrated stuff.
One of the barrel picking groups I'm in just got on the list to pick one of these single barrels @ cask strength soon. I'm a big BF fan, so really looking forward it it.
MJ20/20
AG
Where is that? Have you tried the Eagle Rare barrel pick yet?
62strat
AG
MJ20/20 said:

Where is that? Have you tried the Eagle Rare barrel pick yet?
a place called bevy's in Parker Colorado. No I haven't. I just ran out of ER at my Xmas party though so I'm likely picking up a bottle on my way home.
MJ20/20
AG
I like it when stores do barrel picks, and this store has a really cool display promoting their products. I wish this was closer to me in Texas.
62strat
AG
Make that, I did pick up one just now on my way home, so I will get to try it soon.
Sazerac
AG
If I saw that in Houston I would buy as many as they would sell
MJ20/20
AG
Does anyone have a good source / reference for reading up on Japanese whiskey? I've never bought a bottle and am curious about what to expect.
Johnsy3
AG
I've only had Japanese Whisky once (a dram of Hibiki) I think. Very similar to scotch but no peat.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Interested in this too! I've really liked the couple of Japanese whiskeys that I've tried so far.
SpiderDude
AG
MJ20/20 said:

Does anyone have a good source / reference for reading up on Japanese whiskey? I've never bought a bottle and am curious about what to expect.

Just start googling one's you're interested in. There's always several reviews available on various websites. I like reviews that give you nose, palate, finish and some type of "overall" rating.
Daytona22
AG
Total wine at i10 inside the loop just put some Weller Special Reserve out if anyone is interested. I'm not a big fan but others might be. Limit one per person. Crazy... I stopped hunting bourbon a year or two ago. Went to see how slim the shelves are now. Couldn't find McKenna 10 anywhere. That used to be everywhere.
Fall92
AG
Sad times when WSR is limited.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
CharlieBrown17
AG
MJ20/20 said:

Skip the middle man, drink scotch
mazag08
AG
Download the Distiller app. They do a great job of reviewing whiskeys, and you can read use reviews as well.

The Yamizaki 12 is fantastic. That's all I've had. But yes, they are all like scotch. Mostly single malts, though plenty of blended malts.
MJ20/20
AG
Ha. I do. I love scotch.
Wheatables02
AG
Nikka Coffey and from the barrel are more like bourbon and Irish whiskey than scotch. No peat.

Yama 12, tons of peat.
MJ20/20
AG
Had a neck pour of Stagg Jr batch 12. Going to put that one aside and let it breath. It is awesome already and should only get better.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Had some pre-prohibition tonight. Barreled 1899, bottled 1918.
the dude10
AG
And.....
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Tastes like good bourbon. Had a pour left from a bottle I bought a couple years ago.
AggBock
AG
Where can I find a bottle of eagle rare on the I 35 corridor. Checked a few places and the kind of laughed when I asked for it.
AggieAuditor
AG
WB liquors (Costco) in cedar park had quite a few 375ml bottles of ER yesterday.
CharlieBrown17
AG
There's plenty of non peated scotch.

This is more what I was talking about than pure flavor. Japan doesn't have much regulation on what Japanese whiskey is and plenty of it right now isn't distilled in japan to meet demand.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-19/that-expensive-japanese-whisky-may-be-mostly-scotch
AgDev01
AG
Won a bottle of Stagg and WLW in the state lottery for 99 each.
First Page Last Page
Page 414 of 1151

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.