Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,913,789 Views | 39190 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by Lonestar-aught-six
LPHA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deats said:

Anonymous,
Thanks for the ORVW, GTS, and THH!
StEdsCOOG
MW03 said:

What's the boards favorite drinker these days? Something relatively easy to find that you keep stocked as opposed to one you break out special?
I've become a big fan of Four Roses Small Batch. I also enjoy the Small Batch Select but don't think it's worth the extra $20 a bottle.
tripperwill
AG
There's an Austin bourbon Facebook group you could join and offer it up.
tripperwill
AG
MW03 said:

What's the boards favorite drinker these days? Something relatively easy to find that you keep stocked as opposed to one you break out special?

I think the David Nicholson Reserve (black label) for $26 is pretty damn hard to beat and easy to find.
aggielostinETX
AG
LPHA said:

Deats said:

Anonymous,

Someone on here hooked me up with a THH, GTS, and ORVW for less than secondary but more than retail. Happy hunting.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
LPHA
AG
Very cool
RigsTx
AG
Deats said:

LPHA said:

Deats said:

Anonymous,

Someone on here hooked me up with a THH, GTS, and ORVW for less than secondary but more than retail. Happy hunting.

Congrats.

I've been looking all over for a WLW and I wasn't sure if they had made it to West Texas yet. The hunt continues.
Post removed:
by user
AggieDad24
Love Weller SR but getting ridiculous to find
Pitter Patter
RigsTx
AG
MaroonBaboon said:

It's all over the place in West Texas
TamuKid
AG
MaroonBaboon said:

Where are you located? TX? I see it everywhere.
SpiderDude
AG
Deats said:

LPHA said:

Deats said:

Anonymous,

Where do I go for these deals?!
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I'll offer $400 cash. Located in Austin.
AggieDad24
I got some at twin liquors today but it was going fast and limited to two per person
Pitter Patter
FriedTex
AG
Evan Williams BIB - all day
Moxie
AG
Knob 100, Buffalo Trace, WT101 and EW bib are my daily drivers
Sazerac
AG
StEdsCOOG said:

MW03 said:

I've become a big fan of Four Roses Small Batch. I also enjoy the Small Batch Select but don't think it's worth the extra $20 a bottle.

For me, I go with Bulleit / Rye, 1.75 for $40
I think it's better than EWBiB and things like Old Forester to justify the slightly higher price.

Eagle Rare is my best bang for the buck...if you can ever find it!
Aggie Pharmer
AG
MaroonBaboon said:

The Costco on 183 in Austin always has tons of it on the shelf.
jh0400
AG
MW03 said:

At one point I had bottles that I held for special occasions. Then I ended up with 40 or so bottles that I didn't want to drink because they were "special." At some point I decided that I was just going to drink them whenever and stop waiting on a reason. That being said, Elijah Craig Small Batch is probably my favorite readily available bourbon. For ryes I'll go with Russell's Reserve Single Barrel.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

for less than secondary
What is "secondary" now that all the facebook groups were shut down? Is there another place to go to look around?
GarlandAg2012
AG
https://www.whiskyauctioneer.com/previous-auctions

There are more sites like this as well.
boboguitar
AG
Aggie Pharmer said:

MaroonBaboon said:

Yeah, if anyone is having issues finding it, pay for cost + shipping (or meet me in frisco) and I'll grab a bottle for you.
aggielostinETX
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

for less than secondary
What is "secondary" now that all the facebook groups were shut down? Is there another place to go to look around?

Also a BSM price check group
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
AggieBarstool
Aggie Pharmer said:

MaroonBaboon said:

Beverage Depot on NW Highway in Dallas. Always 20-30 bottles on the shelf.
FTAco07
AG
Do Specs and/or Total Wine ever have anything decent/allocated that you can actually get or are they always reserved for loyalty members with the highest points? I'm thinking along the lines of Blanton's, mid tier Weller, Eagle Rare 10, etc.
schwack schwack
AG
Both occasionally have a few allotments that you can usually grab IF your timing is perfect.

Edit: I'm talking about Dallas.
V8Aggie
AG
schwack schwack said:

Both occasionally have a few allotments that you can usually grab IF your timing is perfect.

Edit: I'm talking about Dallas.
Same for Houston.

It just depends on when you walk in and look at the counter (total wine).
TamuKid
AG
FTAco07 said:

Do Specs and/or Total Wine ever have anything decent/allocated that you can actually get or are they always reserved for loyalty members with the highest points? I'm thinking along the lines of Blanton's, mid tier Weller, Eagle Rare 10, etc.

In Austin/RR:
Most of the Specs run on a list system. You may get lucky if you ask, but most likely not. But it varies from location to location and employee to employee.

Total Wine you can have much better luck at. But without getting a heads up from a Facebook group, friend, etc, then your timing would have to be perfect. They set allocated bottles like that out on the counter and sell them on a first serve basis. Typically with a limit of one per person. Most of the time "bourbon hunters" catch wind of it and clear the desk pretty darn quickly though.

I've had luck asking at Twin Liquors, as they don't put it out and don't run on lists... although sometimes they do run on the buddy/"do I know you" system.
Sazerac
AG
I've gotten eagle rare and 2 buff trace by asking / checking the service counter. Have also seen willet recently.
AggieBarstool
FTAco07 said:

The "bourbon" guy at one of the Total Wine stores in Dallas told me their store holds the allocated stuff at the front desk and randomly change up when they make it available for sale. They don't put it out on display and try their hardest to sell their bottles to the people who will drink them, not hoard/flip them.

As with any other store, timing is of the essence.
FTAco07
AG
Here's my report from visiting 2 specs, a total wine, and The beverage depot mentioned previously, all in Dallas. Long story short, I'm really glad I now prefer tequila to bourbon. The 20-30 bottles of Weller SR at beverage depot were all gone along with everything else Buffalo Trace related. I ended up with some Willet Pot Still (obviously better looking bottle than tasting juice), makers cask strength, and regular old Michter's.

Quite the disappointing haul for a couple hours of searching. Good news, I found all the Codigo and Clase Azul I need!
MW03
AG
I have my best success at the crummy looking liquor stores on the outskirts of town. Basically, if it looks like a place people go in for a plastic fifth, then I'll duck in and see if I can get lucky. Come across EHT, Noah's Mill, and the lower end Buffalo Trace products that way.
SpiderDude
AG
Hey y'all...I heard there's this other really good wheated bourbon available most places called Marker's Mark?! I'm gonna give it a shot next time i'm at the store. *sips on Maker's Cask Strength
AggieBarstool
Whoa, seriously? They've had plenty of Weller in stock for MONTHS. Holiday buying, I wonder? Sad day.
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 396 of 1120

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.