Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,877,199 Views | 38815 Replies | Last: 30 min ago by SydB92
BQRyno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

BQRyno said:

Any bourbon that's legitimately aged that long in Texas will be an absolute oak monster, probably to the point of being nearly undrinkable. Its just too damned hot for too damned long in Texas to properly age a nice bourbon.

One of the biggest reasons so much of America's whiskey production in the Kentucky/Tennessee area is climate. Four distinct seasons a year, each almost exactly 3 months long, none being too severe. Perfect aging conditions.

The only way a Texas distiller could really compete would be climate controlled rickhouses, that could simulate a more temperate climate.
Nailed it. The idea that Texas distillers are missing the mark by having stuff aged 2 years instead of 6-10 is misguided from what I've heard. With as hot and humid as it is here, distillers I've talked to have said that when they try to go longer than a couple of years, all that's left is sludge. That said, because it's so hot and humid, you can get (what I think is) a good tasty product in a 2 year time frame that would be outrageously young if it was from Kentucky.

Yes, you can get the oak flavor into a bourbon quicker, but you won't get the benefit of time when it comes to mellowing the juice. What you'll end up with is a very sharp, oaky bourbon, that still has a lot of corn taste to it, which is basically what Garrison Brothers puts out. They are the closest ones to doing it like the big boys, and that's the end result.
Completely agree with Garrison Brothers putting out sharp tasting corn juice. I wouldn't buy it for 30 bucks, so forget about 80. The best Texas stuff I've found, whether they do it like the big boys or not, is Whitmeyer's single barrel they sell in the distillery, which is 100% in-house. I'm probably biased because Houston, veteran owned, good dudes, and I've been there multiple times, but I find that particular stuff totally worth the 90 bucks. I don't buy the rest of the stuff they make that's on the shelves at stores.
Farmer1906
AG
BQRyno said:

BQRyno said:

Any bourbon that's legitimately aged that long in Texas will be an absolute oak monster, probably to the point of being nearly undrinkable. Its just too damned hot for too damned long in Texas to properly age a nice bourbon.

One of the biggest reasons so much of America's whiskey production in the Kentucky/Tennessee area is climate. Four distinct seasons a year, each almost exactly 3 months long, none being too severe. Perfect aging conditions.

The only way a Texas distiller could really compete would be climate controlled rickhouses, that could simulate a more temperate climate.
Nailed it. The idea that Texas distillers are missing the mark by having stuff aged 2 years instead of 6-10 is misguided from what I've heard. With as hot and humid as it is here, distillers I've talked to have said that when they try to go longer than a couple of years, all that's left is sludge. That said, because it's so hot and humid, you can get (what I think is) a good tasty product in a 2 year time frame that would be outrageously young if it was from Kentucky.

Yes, you can get the oak flavor into a bourbon quicker, but you won't get the benefit of time when it comes to mellowing the juice. What you'll end up with is a very sharp, oaky bourbon, that still has a lot of corn taste to it, which is basically what Garrison Brothers puts out. They are the closest ones to doing it like the big boys, and that's the end result.
Completely agree with Garrison Brothers putting out sharp tasting corn juice. I wouldn't buy it for 30 bucks, so forget about 80. The best Texas stuff I've found, whether they do it like the big boys or not, is Whitmeyer's single barrel they sell in the distillery, which is 100% in-house. I'm probably biased because Houston, veteran owned, good dudes, and I've been there multiple times, but I find that particular stuff totally worth the 90 bucks. I don't buy the rest of the stuff they make that's on the shelves at stores.
Why?
BQRyno
AG
Just not my preference. What's available in store is also sourced juice, versus the distillery only, which is made 100% in-house. At those price points, there are other bottles I like better.
Trinity Ag
S
BQRyno said:

Just not my preference. What's available in store is also sourced juice, versus the distillery only, which is made 100% in-house. At those price points, there are other bottles I like better.
I have had some decent merchant whiskey -- Barrell produces some fine barrel-proof stuff.

But I have almost zero interest in buying any.

I'd spring for an in-house made bottle direct from a distillery like Whitmeyers, though.
Bmac04
AG
ECBP just hit Total Wine Arlington for anyone in the area.
Joseydog
AG
Aggie distillery owner here. We don't make bourbon, but straight wheat whiskey (there is no corn in our mash). We are a grain-to-glass facility, meaning our juice is 100% our own and we do not blend. Our 4-year is now on the shelves in the DFW area if you want to give it a try. Google Lone Elm Whiskey to find the website, which has the locations you can find our product (I don't want to run too much afoul of this site's advertising rules so I will not give the actual web address).

Most craft distilleries in Texas either source or blend their bourdon because the high cost of waiting for their own product to adequately age. The heat in Texas does accelerate the aging process, but there is a point where there is no benefit to additional aging (and can be detrimental).

Our 4-year was aged in 10 and 15 gallon barrels to accelerate the aging process.

One technical point I will make is that aging caused by the chemical reaction between contact with the product to the wood of the barrel, not the actual movement of the product in and out of the wood. The more surface area in contact with the wood, the faster the aging process.

That is why product can age faster in Texas (heat expands the product causing more contact with the wood). This is also why those that have bought small barrels to further age purchased whiskey quickly see changes to the color and flavor (the smaller the barrel, the more contact with the wood).

Peace out!
Wheatables02
AG
Bmac04 said:

ECBP just hit Total Wine Arlington for anyone in the area.
how much?
HouseDivided06
AG
You hiring? I'm happily employed but man doing what you do sounds like an amazing life. Think I'll grab a bottle on the way home and see what it's like. Thanks for your input!
agcrock2005
CharlieBrown17
AG
Trinity Ag said:

BQRyno said:

I have had some decent merchant whiskey -- Barrell produces some fine barrel-proof stuff.

I'd spring for an in-house made bottle direct from a distillery like Whitmeyers, though.

Personally, to me matters if they hide that it's sourced or not.

High West should be the model for how handle sourcing. Especially since they're starting to replace some of the younger sourced stuff in their blends with their own whiskey.
Wheatables02
AG
Don't worry agcrock2005....if I get one its yours. If I get two, I get one.
agcrock2005
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Don't worry agcrock2005....if I get one its yours. If I get two, I get one.
Hell yes! I'll pay cash so my wife won't know that I have bought more bourbon...
Bmac04
AG
$59 with tax. Had like 6-8 bottles left when I left
Trinity Ag
S
CharlieBrown17 said:

Trinity Ag said:

BQRyno said:

Personally, to me matters if they hide that it's sourced or not.

High West should be the model for how handle sourcing. Especially since they're starting to replace some of the younger sourced stuff in their blends with their own whiskey.
Definitely. Templeton is the test case for how not to source whiskey: fancy labels, and a BS, misleading story about the product.

MGP makes almost all US Rye produced in its Lawrenceburg, IN distillery, and even the big boys like Dickel source it from there. It is what it is. Don't hide what it is behind some crap about it being Al Capone's personal recipe.

Less clear are companies like Bulleit. Their Rye is MGP. Their bourbon has always been sourced -- I think it was originally Ancient Age, and is now mainly Four Roses, but Diageo is pretty coy about what is blended into its bottles.

Would be cool if they re-started the old Stitzel distillery, rather than just using it as a bourbon themed attraction.
Wheatables02
AG
Total Wine Arlington did not have any at 3:10 p.m. They told me they sold out of all 9 bottles in about an hour and a half
752bro4
AG
Fall92 said:

752bro4 said:

2 each of Gold and SFTB for me in Barcelona

And one of the golds will be gone before we make it back
Sweet. Do you remember which terminal? Headed to Barcelona this summer.

Wasn't at the terminal...in fact, the duty free was severely lacking.

Found it at 2 different stores: La Fuente and Magatzem Escola. The second store came from a rec from a bartender in Amsterdam. He said it was the best selection in Europe. It wasn't quite as big as a TW or Spec's, but very good selection.
agcrock2005
AG
Damn...the wait continues! May have to go back to Louisville and test all these damn bourbons that I can't ever find.
HouseDivided06
AG
You're not in Plano are you? I can't remember from when we met for the Michters Limited Release I sold you. But if you are, a Facebook group I'm in said that the TW West Plano had some ECBP out FYI.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Any thoughts/opinions on Russell's Reserve SB. Picked up a store pick from Goody Goody a good bit back and finally cracked it tonight. Pretty easy drinker for 110 proofer with just a slight alcohol burn on the back of the tongue when neat. Completely taken away with a couple ice cubes though.
Farmer1906
AG
I'm a fan. Very good juice.
HouseDivided06
AG
Love it but got spoiled. True Spirits had it for $36-38 usually and I have a hard time buying it at $48+ after that. But damn good bourbon.
Farmer1906
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

Love it but got spoiled. True Spirits had it for $36-38 usually and I have a hard time buying it at $48+ after that. But damn good bourbon.

Really? I've never seen SB that cheap.
HouseDivided06
AG
Yep. Never over $40 unless it was a store pick. And then I think I paid $45. It was fantastic.
Farmer1906
AG
I just read a review from 2013 that said it came out that February and suggested retail price was 49.99. I only checked because I've had it for a few years and never seen it that cheap.
HouseDivided06
AG
Maybe that's one of the reasons they went out of business, but I definitely bought it from them for less than $40 consistently. Was a great value and I rarely went there and didn't bring home a bottle
CharlieBrown17
AG
Man any luck finding EHT 4G on here? Seeing people pull down freaking cases of it in some of the Facebook groups.
Post removed:
by user
Trinity Ag
S
RenoAg said:

Hey ease up on Stagg and EHT. Stagg Jr and EHTBP is good stuff. And not complete unicorns.
I picked up a bottle of EH Taylor Single Barrel today. The only one on the shelf at Specs on Texas. Never seen it there before, so I shelled out $58 for it.

I'd gone in for a bottle of 4 Roses Single Barrel, but that is there every day -- so I'll take a swing at something different.

Will set it up against WT101, which is my personal baseline for ~100 proofs.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Guess I'm going to the university Specs tonight
Credible Source
AG
Trinity Ag said:

RenoAg said:

Hey ease up on Stagg and EHT. Stagg Jr and EHTBP is good stuff. And not complete unicorns.
I picked up a bottle of EH Taylor Single Barrel today. The only one on the shelf at Specs on Texas. Never seen it there before, so I shelled out $58 for it.

I'd gone in for a bottle of 4 Roses Single Barrel, but that is there every day -- so I'll take a swing at something different.

Will set it up against WT101, which is my personal baseline for ~100 proofs.

It will kick the pants off of 101, I can't even drink that stuff
jh0400
AG
Any recs on a cheaper bottle to keep in a decanter, mostly for decoration, and the occasional cocktail / mixing? I was thinking Weller SR, but the shelves at Specs were cleared when I went in on Friday. Other ideas were OGD BiB or Evan Williams BiB. Anything else I should consider?
CharlieBrown17
AG
I keep EW BiB in mine
jh0400
AG
On another note, are people really hoarding Weller SR now?
CactusThomas
AG
Eagle rare
Old Weller antique 107
Bakers
Jim Beam black
Wild turkey
Russell's reserve

Prices vary but those are all readily available (I think) and would be good in a decanter in my opinion.
jh0400
AG
Where are you that OWA is readily avaliable?
First Page Last Page
Page 321 of 1110

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.