Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,937,614 Views | 39419 Replies | Last: 42 min ago by AlaskanAg99
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll have to check.
Farmer1906
AG
UncleJew15 said:

I have the following Bourbons open right now
Willet Pot Reserve- Extremely smooth and well balanced I really enjoyed this one
Blanton's -It's Blantons not as smooth as Willet but more flavor
4 Roses Single Barrel- good to have when in between the rare things
Woodford Reserve -same as 4RSB
Eagle Rare- I enjoyed it
1792 SB- A bit too boozy on the taste but decent
Buffalo Trace- Smooth but not too much flavor

I live in Round Rock and the Brass Tap down town had Pappy 12yr Van Winkle SR (25 a pour)
it is really good smooth and a good flavor

Credible Source
AG
Killed of a Blantons, the MWND, and EHTBP this week. Time to open some new stuff. Gonna reach way back and open random things and see how I like them. Anyone heard about 4 grain in Central texas yet?
CharlieBrown17
AG
They've been on ABH. But only places like Twin or Total Wine.

I talked to my guy here at Twin and they got three bottles but all went wholesale to bars.

Though Twin has whiskey on sale til the 16th, buy two fifths or more and it's 15% off. Also some of the bigger stores have a big tasting event on the 14th. Should be 20+ whiskeys to taste, across all types. Or at least that's what College Station is planning.
CharlieBrown17
AG
DDP
dmart90
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

They've been on ABH. But only places like Twin or Total Wine.

I talked to my guy here at Twin and they got three bottles but all went wholesale to bars.

Though Twin has whiskey on sale til the 16th, buy two fifths or more and it's 15% off. Also some of the bigger stores have a big tasting event on the 14th. Should be 20+ whiskeys to taste, across all types. Or at least that's what College Station is planning.
Went to the Twin at 620 and 2222 in Austin and picked up the following at lunch:

• Fire Oak Texas Bourbon Whiskey (made up the road in Liberty Hill) - I'm a fan
  • Whitmeyer's Texas Single Barrel Cask Strength - first time I've seen Whitmeyer's here and looking forward to trying it
  • Yellow Rose Outlaw Bourbon - been wanting to try this for a while

Saved $25.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Isn't the owner/distiller/something at fire oak an Ag? Think I met him at a tasting. Class of 90 something if I remember right.
Fall92
AG
752bro4 said:

2 each of Gold and SFTB for me in Barcelona

And one of the golds will be gone before we make it back
Sweet. Do you remember which terminal? Headed to Barcelona this summer.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Superdave1993
AG
It may be, but it is not my favorite so I just did not expect it. I tend to be more of a George Dickle fan when it comes to Tennessee Whiskey.

It was strange, I saw Jack Daniels and Coors Light on draft in several pubs while over there. With all the choices available those struck me a funny.

Edit for spelling dumb
Post removed:
by user
CharlieBrown17
AG
Walked into some tickets for game 1 of the regional Friday in Austin so I'll be around this weekend if you want to trade samples/pours
Chipotlemonger
AG
Batch 2017-03, 125.9 proof, aged 6y 5m 25d apparently. They put a lot of info on this packaging which is nice
Ringo88
AG
Jayelbee,
Florida has ABC stores and private stores. Based on what I keep seeing here regarding in-Texas supply, you'll likely be happy with the selections in Orlando. Florida ABC's handle the crazy allocations In the Fall via lottery, but keep up a good regular stock. Private stores seem to be a crap shoot with less likelihood of a major score. I don't recall any notable Orlando shops, only b/c I'm not able to really shop around there with a carload of kids waiting on me.
Wheatables02
AG
jayelbee said:

Does bourbon get run on in Florida like it does in Texas? Are there any bottle shops near Disney that are worth visiting?
I went hunting last year in the area. Things like Knob Creek 25th were readily available, however all the stuff we're searching for was gone just like here.

I did find some FR store picks here and there though.

dmart90
AG
Yellow Rose Outlaw Bourbon Whiskey

Nose: Toasted corn (go figure, since it says it is 100% corn)
Taste: A little flat. Some smokiness and a little sweet; maybe a hint of caramel. Pleasant, lingering heat.

They must use regular corn; this bourbon doesn't taste like an old shoe like the one's made with blue corn. It says it is "aged at least one year"; doesn't seem like that was long enough. You can't taste the oak at all. It's pretty decent, I'll drink this bottle and enjoy it. I'd call it a 6 or 6.5 on a scale of 1-10. This is not a $50 bottle of bourbon. Hopefully they are able to age some future batches longer to get a deeper flavor profile.
Sixdrakes
AG
If you look hard enough you can find ECBP B518 in the Houston area now
agcrock2005
AG
What about Dallas??
HouseDivided06
AG
ECBP hit a couple Total Wines in dallas today. Whether they still have some for tomorrow, I don't know. But I believe I saw that Total Wine off 75 at Walnut Hill got 3 cases.
tl1127
AG
Sold out at Total Wine in Allen.
LawHall88
AG
Twin Liquors is having a sale on whiskey - 15% off for two bottles or more through June 16 - if anyone is interested.
Sixdrakes
AG
There are a few bottles of the ECBP B518 left in West Houston at the Goody Goody on HWY 6 South
CharlieBrown17
AG
Weird that there's so much B518 floating around Texas. I don't think near this much A118 made it this way
Credible Source
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Weird that there's so much B518 floating around Texas. I don't think near this much A118 made it this way

Nope
Trinity Ag
S
Is there any bourbon distilled in Texas that is worth what they are charging for it?

dmart90
AG
Trinity Ag said:

Is there any bourbon distilled in Texas that is worth what they are charging for it?

They are two that I like::
* TX Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey from F&R Distilling in Ft Worth
* Small Batch Texas Bourbon Whiskey from Fire Oak Distillery in Liberty Hill

Both are reasonably priced and pretty good.
jh0400
AG
I like what Whitmeyer's is doing, but I'm not sure it's $80 juice. I keep buying it, but if it wasn't made here in Houston there's no way I'd pay that for it.
Wheatables02
AG
jh0400 said:

I like what Whitmeyer's is doing, but I'm not sure it's $80 juice. I keep buying it, but if it wasn't made here in Houston there's no way I'd pay that for it.
agreed. I've heard the cask strength is good but not at $69 a bottle at specs. That's the MSRP for ORVW, but not like we can find it.
Trinity Ag
S
jh0400 said:

This is exactly what I mean.

90% of it is merchant whiskey that wouldn't compare to Buffalo Trace or WT101, but they are charging $40-50 per bottle.

The other 10% seems to be 1-2 years old, and they are asking premium money for it.

I understand the concept of marketing -- and Lord know Texans like to buy Texas stuff -- but this doesn't seem sustainable.

Is there any Texas distillery that has the scope and scale (production, rickhouse storage, sufficient financial runway) to eventually mass market quality whiskey, aged 6-10 years?

Interesting story on Whitmeyers: Whitmeyers Distillery

The issue with "craft bourbon" compared to "craft beer" is that the small batch product isn't actually better than the large scale alternative. And is generally both worse AND more expensive.

I get supporting local business, but I'm not generally willing to pay more for a crappier product.
John Francis Donaghy
Any bourbon that's legitimately aged that long in Texas will be an absolute oak monster, probably to the point of being nearly undrinkable. Its just too damned hot for too damned long in Texas to properly age a nice bourbon.

One of the biggest reasons so much of America's whiskey production in the Kentucky/Tennessee area is climate. Four distinct seasons a year, each almost exactly 3 months long, none being too severe. Perfect aging conditions.

The only way a Texas distiller could really compete would be climate controlled rickhouses, that could simulate a more temperate climate.
jh0400
AG
Trinity Ag said:

This is exactly what I mean.

The issue with "craft bourbon" compared to "craft beer" is that the small batch product isn't actually better than the large scale alternative. And is generally both worse AND more expensive.

I think there are some good small distilleries out there, but the bad ones outweigh the good by a fair margin. Same thing goes for craft beer. There are some very good craft breweries, but there are also a lot of very bad ones.

I'm a sucker for young juice from small distilleries though, and some of them have been known to put out good sourced whiskey while they're waiting on their own to be ready. Nelson's Greenbrier comes to mind on this front. The Belle Meade single barrel and special finish bottles are all pretty good LDI whiskey, and their 108 line that was distilled and aged in Nashville are really good two year old juice. Of course the cask strength 108 was $60 for a 375, so it should be really good.
BQRyno
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Any bourbon that's legitimately aged that long in Texas will be an absolute oak monster, probably to the point of being nearly undrinkable. Its just too damned hot for too damned long in Texas to properly age a nice bourbon.

One of the biggest reasons so much of America's whiskey production in the Kentucky/Tennessee area is climate. Four distinct seasons a year, each almost exactly 3 months long, none being too severe. Perfect aging conditions.

The only way a Texas distiller could really compete would be climate controlled rickhouses, that could simulate a more temperate climate.
Nailed it. The idea that Texas distillers are missing the mark by having stuff aged 2 years instead of 6-10 is misguided from what I've heard. With as hot and humid as it is here, distillers I've talked to have said that when they try to go longer than a couple of years, all that's left is sludge. That said, because it's so hot and humid, you can get (what I think is) a good tasty product in a 2 year time frame that would be outrageously young if it was from Kentucky.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

That said, because it's so hot and humid, you can get (what I think is) a good tasty product in a 2 year time frame that would be outrageously young if it was from Kentucky.
I thought it was more about the seasons hot to cold several times in a year rather than just staying hot? The change in seasons (temps) pushes the whiskey in and out of the barrels and when it's just hot all the time that's not happening right? At least that's what they said on the makers mark tour I took last summer. They age theirs to taste rather than age because they say it depends on what I just referenced.
John Francis Donaghy
BQRyno said:

Nailed it. The idea that Texas distillers are missing the mark by having stuff aged 2 years instead of 6-10 is misguided from what I've heard. With as hot and humid as it is here, distillers I've talked to have said that when they try to go longer than a couple of years, all that's left is sludge. That said, because it's so hot and humid, you can get (what I think is) a good tasty product in a 2 year time frame that would be outrageously young if it was from Kentucky.

Yes, you can get the oak flavor into a bourbon quicker, but you won't get the benefit of time when it comes to mellowing the juice. What you'll end up with is a very sharp, oaky bourbon, that still has a lot of corn taste to it, which is basically what Garrison Brothers puts out. They are the closest ones to doing it like the big boys, and that's the end result.
John Francis Donaghy
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

That said, because it's so hot and humid, you can get (what I think is) a good tasty product in a 2 year time frame that would be outrageously young if it was from Kentucky.
I thought it was more about the seasons hot to cold several times in a year rather than just staying hot? The change in seasons (temps) pushes the whiskey in and out of the barrels and when it's just hot all the time that's not happening right? At least that's what they said on the makers mark tour I took last summer. They age theirs to taste rather than age because they say it depends on what I just referenced.

You are exactly correct. But extreme heat introduces an additional factor on top of that dynamic. Think about dropping a tea bag in a cup of cool water, vs. A mug of hot water. That tea is going to steep much faster in the piping hot water.

In a rickhouse in 100+ degree heat, that stays that way for 5+ months at a time. That oak flavor from the wood is going to steep into the juice much more quckly than in 85-90 degree heat that drops back to the 50's or 60's overnight every night.
Trinity Ag
S

I agree that you couldn't build 5 story, open air rickhouses in Houston or Dallas.

But the climate in Fredericksburg/Kerrville is pretty close to southern KY and TN. Summers are similar. Winters are a little less cold, and drier. Average temps are actually a little lower than Lynchburg.

If you can't do it here, then you can't do it here. Which makes me dubious of the future for the big "craft" industry in Texas charging premium prices for marginal bourbons

First Page Last Page
Page 320 of 1127

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.