Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,748,218 Views | 37521 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by tu ag
CactusThomas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live on the coast now but have bought it in college station and Rockport the past couple of years. I don't go through the big 1.75s very fast. Sorry if it's not around much anymore.
jh0400
AG
I haven't seen it in the wild in several years. When it hits now, the Facebook groups spread the word, and it's gone in a day or so.
Credible Source
AG
jh0400 said:

I haven't seen it in the wild in several years. When it hits now, the Facebook groups spread the word, and it's gone in a day or so.

OWA? It's everywhere in Austin most of the time.

That said, my new favorite bourbon that's always available is Widow Jane. Anyone here tried it?
the dude10
AG
I saw a bottle of jeffersons presidential select 16 year yesterday. Anyone had it or have any thoughts? Some reviews I have checked said even though they don't typically like the Jefferson line very much that this was a great pour. It is supposedly sourced from one of the big boys in Kentucky
Trinity Ag
S
jh0400 said:

Any recs on a cheaper bottle to keep in a decanter, mostly for decoration, and the occasional cocktail / mixing? I was thinking Weller SR, but the shelves at Specs were cleared when I went in on Friday. Other ideas were OGD BiB or Evan Williams BiB. Anything else I should consider?

I keep WT101 in one, and Weller SR in the other.

Good luck finding Weller Antique sitting around -- at least in any of the liquor stores I go to.

Wild Turkey 101 stands up extremely well in the sub $30 class of bourbons. Buffalo Trace would be another good choice.

Unless you have a super refined palate like Car Hungus -- and I certainly don't -- they are damn good bourbons at a great value, and do well with a little ice or in a cocktail.

After the H2H tasting of the EH Taylor single barrel against the WT 101, I definitely preferred the EH Taylor. Slightly sweeter, a little caramel. Not as spicy, but a little more complex. It is a nice bourbon.

Not certain I think it is worth 3x the money the WT is, but it is nice to have on the shelf for special.

tx4guns
AG
It's good, but not worth retail. If it was $50, it would be a good one.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Just make sure your decanters are lead free.

ER10 is a good standby for a decanter pour.
John Francis Donaghy
AlaskanAg99 said:

Yep. This gets repeated every so often on this thread, and it's about time for a repeat. But storing whiskey in a leaded crystal decanter for more than a day or so at a time will allow lead from the decanter to leach into the whiskey. Booze that has been stored in leaded crystal can easily have a medically significant lead content by the time it is consumed.
the dude10
AG
Also, I saw some ECBP for $100. Any of you guys chasing that want me to grab it? Well over retail but I don't see it too often at suggested MSRP so I grabbed myself some. Left a few bottles and can go back and snag them if anyone wants
Wheatables02
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Yep. This gets repeated every so often on this thread, and it's about time for a repeat. But storing whiskey in a leaded crystal decanter for more than a day or so at a time will allow lead from the decanter to leach into the whiskey. Booze that has been stored in leaded crystal can easily have a medically significant lead content by the time it is consumed.

I was unaware these were still sold. Damn
CharlieBrown17
AG
That's secondary or slightly higher for ECBP. Especially after tax.
John Francis Donaghy
Wheatables02 said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

I was unaware these were still sold. Damn

Yep. Leaded crystal is usually the higher end stuff. The really thick, heavy, fancy sets.

They're meant for serving, not storing. If you're throwing a party and want your guests to be able to serve themselves from something pretty, a leaded crystal decanter is just fine. But whatever is left at the end of the night needs to be poured out, or transferred back to a non-leaded container for storage. It takes time for lead to leach into your booze, one night is fine, a few days is probably fine. I wouldn't go much past that, though.

Leaded crystal drinking glasses are not as big of a concern, because nothing will be in a glass for nearly long enough to absorb anything.

Edit: not sure wtf happened with the blushing face, must have hit it by accident.
John Francis Donaghy
third coast.. said:

early signs of lead poisoning. T&P

Well hell, if I'm on my way out anyway, may as well have a bourbon or two for the road.
Señor Chang
AG
Wow, I'm glad I read this thread. I have 2 old decanters from my grandfather in my office I was planning to store bourbon in.
the dude10
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

I figured it probably was. Oh well, it will still taste good in the end
CharlieBrown17
AG
It's definitely worth it, especially if you've been after it with no luck.

Secondary usually runs 75-85 plus 15 to ship so it's not like you got fleeced.
schmellba99
AG
jh0400 said:

On another note, are people really hoarding Weller SR now?
People are hoarding anything these days. Whisper that XXXXX brand is somethign special, and idiots will go nuts over it even if it isn't anything special.
jh0400
AG
schmellba99 said:

jh0400 said:

On another note, are people really hoarding Weller SR now?
People are hoarding anything these days. Whisper that XXXXX brand is somethign special, and idiots will go nuts over it even if it isn't anything special.

IMO that perfectly describes the Weller line. I like SR if I'm sitting around drinking whiskey all day or mixing mint juleps, but I'm not a fan OWA or W12. W12 is one of the most overrated pours I've had. It's drinkable but nothing I'd go out of my way for. I bought some a few years ago to mix up some PMP, and the leftover W12 sat in my cabinet for a long time. I wasn't hanging onto it for any particular reason but just didn't ever feel like drinking it.

The BT marketing folks are definitely earning their money.
AggieChemist
AG
I was in a nice liquor store in San Diego last week. Spotted a couple of bottles of W12, and inquired. Was suspicious because they were up on a shelf behind the register. Usually a good sign to prepare thy anus.

$400.

For Weller 12.

I LOLed and turned heel and walked out without another word.
HTownAg98
https://punchdrink.com/articles/best-sipping-bourbon-under-50/
Any thoughts on this list?
Ringo88
AG
Standard list of easy to find selections. The EC Small Batch now does nothing for me. Evan Williams Single Barrel has some good years.
One that frequently gets left off of these lists is Johnny Drum, out of the Willett offerings. Easy to find in most states and all three offerings are satisfying.
FriedTex
AG
What's the average price of weller 107 these days? Saw 6 in east Texas for 50 a piece and passed on them
HTownAg98
I was afraid of that. When I looked at their list for rye and it didn't include Rittenhouse bottled in bond, I was a little suspect. But I thought I'd throw it out there and see what people thought since bourbon isn't really my playground right now.
Credible Source
AG
the dude10 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

After shipping on secondary you didn't over pay, that's about right and I've paid it before, it's worth it. You could flip those bottles a year from now for $150 if you wanted, but I drink the hell out of ECBP
the dude10
AG
Carl Hungus said:

the dude10 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

After shipping on secondary you didn't over pay, that's about right and I've paid it before, it's worth it. You could flip those bottles a year from now for $150 if you wanted, but I drink the hell out of ECBP

I love ECBP, definitely bought them with the intention of drinking. After I left that store I found a bottle for $70 and grabbed it too. Actually the only thing I have ever flipped is a bottle of ORVW, and that was only so I wouldn't feel guilty about buying the over-priced bottle of GTS I had my eye on.

Actually I am about to open a bottle of GTS tonight for my birthday. Going to try and stop at only one pour...
Credible Source
AG
the dude10 said:

Carl Hungus said:

the dude10 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

I love ECBP, definitely bought them with the intention of drinking. After I left that store I found a bottle for $70 and grabbed it too. Actually the only thing I have ever flipped is a bottle of ORVW, and that was only so I wouldn't feel guilty about buying the over-priced bottle of GTS I had my eye on.

Actually I am about to open a bottle of GTS tonight for my birthday. Going to try and stop at only one pour...

Nice!! Enjoy it.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I was in your hood tonight Carl, grabbed two bottles of the Oak Liquor KC120. Can't beat an almost 14 year knob creek single barrel for 45 dollars.
Silver Arrows
AG

2 ounces of William Larue Weller for $15 at Work + Class in Denver
tx4guns
AG
I'd drink that whole bottle at $15 a pour.
Farmer1906
AG
That's about $180 for the bottle. Not terrible.
Silver Arrows
AG
Yeah I was shocked at the price. I didn't believe that they listed the correct bourbon, but the waitress said that they occasionally get the good stuff and don't try to rip people off for a pour.

Damn good bourbon!
schmellba99
AG
BQRyno said:

Just not my preference. What's available in store is also sourced juice, versus the distillery only, which is made 100% in-house. At those price points, there are other bottles I like better.
Their white label in stores is the same that you buy at the distillery. The blue label that is not HBS labeled is the sourced whiskey that they sell under their name. You don't have to go to the distillery to get in house made bourbon from them anymore, haven't had to for a while now.
BQRyno
AG
At the store I've seen the blue label (Whitmeyer's Texas Single Barrel Cask Strength Bourbon Whiskey), the yellow-ish label (Whitmeyer's Texas Whiskey), and recently they've had Harvey's Remnants which is a blend of the barrels that were there during Harvey. Of those, the only one (in my understanding) that's 100% in house is Harvey's Remnants, and the other two are sourced. Then, in house, they have their white label (Whitmeyer's Single Barrel Straight Bourbon Whiskey) that's 100% in house. They don't make enough to send out and sell it all in the distillery without a problem, so Travis said they aren't in any hurry to lose margin selling to distributors.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Options on the plane... Woodford, Macallan 12, or JD Single Barrel. What's the best bet?
First Page Last Page
Page 322 of 1073

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.