Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,909,233 Views | 39076 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by jreg90
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RenoAg said:

What's the proof of release 12 bottles of ECBP?

http://bourbonr.com/blog/updated-elijah-craig-barrel-proof-release-cheat-sheet/

Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Holy **** is Bourbonr on Facebook the most ******ed place on the planet for bourbon discussion?

Serious discussion regarding adding wood chips to a bottle to make it better
Quote:

I flash aged a Weller 107 with the oak infusion spiral for 30 days in an attempt to make Poor Man's Pappy. It added a charred oak flavor somewhat distinct from the native taste. It also significantly darkened the color of the booze. Overall, it worked for sure but I'm not convinced that it matches the quality of aging even in a small barrel. Try it out on something with that lacks maturity like NAS EC small batch.
claybot
AG
All this ECBP talk must have been good luck. Scored one for retail today.
schmellba99
AG
People have been doing this for a while. Not much different than small barrel aging.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I'm familiar with the small barrel aging but had not heard of wood chips in the bottle. Surprised they were taking it so serious, but I just stumbled across the Bourbonr group a couple days ago
TGoll09
AG
I'm really glad I called back the unfamiliar number that called me today. Turns out it was one of my local stores, and they had something for me.
Ringo88
AG
Congrats! Wild to think that anything like that is still sitting on the back shelf awaiting call-backs. Anything like that in my region was parsed out before Christmas.
TGoll09
AG
I'm pretty pumped, but can't help but wonder what I might have missed out on by not picking up right away. I didn't see the missed call for about 45 minutes, and when I went in to pick up the bottle, I saw another brown bag sitting behind the counter next to mine. I could see the very top of a red velvet bag sticking out of the top....smh.

On a different note, I went to True Spirits in Plano for the first time yesterday. I was impressed. I tried their Knob Creek barrel pick, and a couple of Yellow Rose whiskeys they had. They had a screaming deal on their Russell's Reserve pick (39.99!), so I picked one up. Also grabbed an Old Scout single barrel (11 year 48.5%) at 49.99. For any of you that have $$$ to burn, they had 3 Whistlepig Boss Hog, at $300.
Fall92
AG
The Spec's on Weslayan in Houston just got the Boss Hog in. Believe it was $270-ish.

PS: big fan of the Old Scout 11 year.
FriedTex
AG
Every old scout store pick has been exceptional imo
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Except NASA's 8 year 119.8 proof sucked balls
Fall92
AG
A Midwinter's Night Dram- discuss and let me know where to find. Asking for a friend on the latter. Really.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Wheatables02
AG
Tried it a few weeks ago for the first time. Thought it was great even though I'm not a big fan of ryes. I've only seen it once this year and it was at a specs for $70. Bought one bottle and left the other for another lucky soul.

Should have bought both.
LGAggie
AG
I'm just getting into good bourbon. Stopped at a small town liquor store, started talking to the owner. Turns out he kept the good stuff behind the counter. Scored a bottle of Blanton's for $75.

Did I do good or did I get taken?

Fall92
AG
Usually mid$50s but it's so hard to find these days I would've paid $75 for it too.
Jrod05
AG
I did the same thing recently. I did pick up whistle pig 12 year anyone had it? The owner said he likes it a lot
FriedTex
AG
Jrod05 said:

I did the same thing recently. I did pick up whistle pig 12 year anyone had it? The owner said he likes it a lot

I'm not a big Rye guy, but I like their stuff
LGAggie
AG
The guy at the liquor store said Eagle Rare, made by the same distillery that makes Blanton's and Pappy, is a good bargain. 10 year aged for ~$35. Thoughts?
Post removed:
by user
aggiederelict
Had some 10 year Van Winkle at Jacoby's in East Austin. A bargain at 20/pour.
Buck Compton
AG
third coast.. said:

You should be able to get it for less than $30. I got an er single barrel store pick for $30 last week.
Yeah, I routinely get Eagle Rare for low 20s. It's generally around and not super rare. I see them in the wild quite often.
tx4guns
AG
Found ORVW 10 for $25, Stagg, Saz 18, and Handy for $20 per 2oz in Vegas. These bottles gonna be much lower by Thursday.
the dude10
AG
Leave some for me! Headed out there in around a month and I was hoping there would be a place or two that had BTAC reasonably priced.
tmas
AG
Asst. manager at Whiskey Cake in Katy treated me a couple of whiskeys i hadn't had before.

Balcones Blue Corn - sweet and spicy, high proof
High West - blended American whiskey fromSalt Lake City
Buck Compton
AG
tmas said:

Asst. manager at Whiskey Cake in Katy treated me a couple of whiskeys i hadn't had before.

Balcones Blue Corn - sweet and spicy, high proof
High West - blended American whiskey fromSalt Lake City
Balcones BlueCorn is some of the worst whiskey I have ever had. I took one sip and gave the rest of the bottle away. Never had high west, but most of these new blended whiskeys are pretty similar.

Obviously everyone's opinions vary, but that blue corn was rough.
Post removed:
by user
FriedTex
AG
Yea, I really like High Wests Campfire
AlaskanAg99
AG
What are thoughts on Orphan Barrel?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Good
SuperAg05
AG
Finally had a chance to try Pappy 12 at a Bourbon bar last night. Smooth, sure, but definitely didn't live up to the hype. I actually preferred the EH Taylor Small Batch I had before it by a bit. The one thing that I did find to be outstanding on the pappy was nose/smell. Once I finished it, I passed the glass around to others in my group to smell because it smelled so fantastic. But, I buy for the drink, not the smell.

Side note, had some Makers Mark Cask Strength right after the pappy and it was jarring. Definitely not a fan of that Makers expression.

Next time, I'll probably give he ORVW a try, since I saw it up there.
plowboy1065
S
No such thing as a Pappy 12
BeardofZeus01
AG
Most likely referring to Van Winkle Lot B ...
BeardofZeus01
AG
Have enjoyed pours of Lost Prophet, Rhetoric 20 & 22, Barterhouse and Whoop & Holler ... and I enjoyed them all. Only have 22 and Barterhouse in my collection ... I sure would like to find the others for a reasonable price.
First Page Last Page
Page 212 of 1117

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.