Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,890,897 Views | 38888 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by srob2004
FriedTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
You can re-use, but it starts to take longer after each use.

There's a great thread a couple down from this one that has a lot of good info and some recipes.

I have a Sazerac going in mine right now. Going to test it out on NYE.
I'm going with Heaven Hill 6 Year Old Bottled-in-Bond for my first batch. 10.99 a bottle, should be worth the try
Quantum ace
AG
HH 6 BIB already tastes pretty mature for a 6 yr old, so I am not sure how much improvement you are going to see from the mini barrel. I would probably try something that starts off with a little more of a rough or raw flavor.

You should take that HH 6 BIB, buy another case, then bring it over to my place next time you are in Houston.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
HH 6 BIB already tastes pretty mature for a 6 yr old, so I am not sure how much improvement you are going to see from the mini barrel. I would probably try something that starts off with a little more of a rough or raw flavor.

You should take that HH 6 BIB, buy another case, then bring it over to my place next time you are in Houston.

I saw some of that yesterday and was wondering how it stood up for a pretty cheap bourbon. I may pick up a bottle just for kicks to see after reading this.
GregZeppelin
AG
As far as the bottom shelf goes it's one of the very best out there.

Be sure to get the 100 proof bottled in bond version. Should be a white label with green lettering.
Post removed:
by user
FriedTex
AG
quote:

Well I'm glad I stumbled upon it. Any recommendations for using a different bottle?
tfunk02
AG
Cracked into some Poor Man's Pappy last night. Weller Antique and Weller 12 definitely taste better combined than they do separate. I can only compare it to Pappy 20, so I don't really know if it tastes like 10 or 15 or whatever it's supposed to taste like.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Cracked into some Poor Man's Pappy last night. Weller Antique and Weller 12 definitely taste better combined than they do separate. I can only compare it to Pappy 20, so I don't really know if it tastes like 10 or 15 or whatever it's supposed to taste like.

Maybe I'll do this instead. You guys know of any place on line that sells these?
plowboy1065
S
I bought the last 3 bottles of Weller 12 from my place yesterday. Antique is pretty easy to find
SouthTexasAg06
AG
I'm having a really hard time finding Weller 12. Has anyone tried making the Poor Mans Pappy with Weller and OWA? Is there much difference?
Post removed:
by user
FriedTex
AG
Im in Indianapolis, it's crazy that I am 2 hours north of Bourbon country and you boys in the great state of Texas have way better options than me.
the dude10
AG
At specs trying to decide, Willet family estate single barrel rye 6 year at $60 or 8 year at $80?
aggielax48
AG
Haven't found Weller 12 anywhere in Austin. Was going to do poor man's pappy in my mini barrel. Going to try special reserve instead and just see what happens. Worst case is a mixer.
steve00
AG
I think the best Willet Rye is the 4 yr for $40. I've tried a lot, all the way up to the 25yr, but the 4yr is the only one in my regular rotation.
cpatin
AG
I really enjoyed the poor mans pappy we mixed a few weeks ago. I think we did ~60/40.

I have an extra bottle of OF birthday if anyone wants to trade for something. Bought it for a buddy who killed his bourbon budget for the year.

Also snagged an extra Weller 12 1L I would trade.

I'm not really looking to sell, but I'll swap w someone in Dallas.

My email is (username) @gmail.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
I'm having a really hard time finding Weller 12. Has anyone tried making the Poor Mans Pappy with Weller and OWA? Is there much difference?
Huge Difference. Every barrel that goes into Weller 12 is at least 12 years old, while Old Weller Antique and Weller Special Reserve use barrels that are likely less than 7 years old. WSR is essentially OWA that is cut down to 90 proof, so you are not going to get anything extra by blending those two.

OWA by itself would be solid candidate for mini barrel aging. You could go high rye with something like Old Grand Dad BIB, which I always liked, but felt was a tad raw.

Texas has a solid bourbon selection, but falls behind many areas in private barrel selections. We are starting to see a few more pop up every once in a while, but they are mostly at the big chain stores that dont really put much effort into actually selecting the barrel.
htxag09
AG
Cpatin, pm sent....
the dude10
AG
I ended up getting both, along with MMCS and Henry McKenna single barrel.
Cant Think of a Name
AG
I am going to read all 102 pages of this when i sober up next week. Seriously.

I literally came over here to start this thread, and its already HUGE and 3+ years old!
dmart90
AG
quote:
I ended up getting both, along with MMCS and Henry McKenna single barrel.
The Henry McKenna is good stuff.
dmart90
AG
Ags win their bowl game.
Ags hire new DC.
This shows up today.

It's gonna be a good year!
Hodor
AG
quote:
Haven't found Weller 12 anywhere in Austin...
I've had the same problem. I'm surprised, because it used to be everywhere here. When did this start getting hard to find?
steve00
AG
Seems to be a casualty of the PVW popularity. Now everyone who can't get PVW is buying up all the Weller 12 to make poor mans pappy.

I hear the TX market still has it, but I can't find it for sale online anywhere. It is literally easier for me to buy real PVW right now than it is to find Weller 12. Crazy.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Seems to be a casualty of the PVW popularity. Now everyone who can't get PVW is buying up all the Weller 12 to make poor mans pappy.

I hear the TX market still has it, but I can't find it for sale online anywhere. It is literally easier for me to buy real PVW right now than it is to find Weller 12. Crazy.

I'm guessing the price is a smidge different
steve00
AG
I spent over a month searching for Weller 12 online. I only found one place that had it, and it was $250. I can find PVW products within seconds online, and the lower end stuff can be found online for $300.

I'm not going to pretend that isn't ridiculous, but I'd pay that before I buy a $20 bottle for $250.
Hodor
AG
Wow!
If I'd only seen that coming, I'd have stocked up. I like the 12 for use in old fashioned's and Manhattans, where I don't want to use the more expensive stuff.
plowboy1065
S
$250 for Weller 12? Wow that's ridiculius. I think I payed $23 for the 4 bottles I bought over Christmas
Post removed:
by user
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Anywhere you can get Weller 12 in DFW? For not $250...
steve00
AG
I think I saw it in stock at a number of Total Wine locations per their website a couple weeks ago. Didn't make it up there to buy any though.
Brenner
AG
quote:
Anywhere you can get Weller 12 in DFW? For not $250...
Where are you? Last time I was in my neighborhood liquor store in east dallas (1-2 months ago?) they had 6+ bottles of Weller 12, OWA, and some other Weller products. I grabbed a bottle of the 12 to try for the first time for ~$27 I think.

I don't see what all the hubbub is about.. I don't really think that stuff is all that great.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I'm in Cleburne so East Dallas is about as far away in DFW as I could get. I want to get a bottle to mix for Poor Mans Pappy.

I'm just getting in to Bourbon so I don't want to pay several hundred dollars for a bottle just yet. Maybe by the end of the year I'll start looking for real Pappy because I want to develop a taste for it before I pay big bucks.
wadd96
AG
Anyone want to meet me at Jack Rose's in DC on Thursday night? Dying to dig into their list.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Stan Crowch
AG
I have a couple of bottles of Weller 12 I would be willing to part with if anyone needs one.
First Page Last Page
Page 102 of 1112

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.