Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,837,464 Views | 38398 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Aggie Therapist
Post removed:
by user
Stan Crowch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No. Not for a hefty fee.
Post removed:
by user
K Bo
AG
Found the little bottle of King's County Bourbon (Brooklyn, NY) hidden in my liquor cabinet. You can definitely tell the youth in this stuff. Hot up front , a hint of toasted caramel at the back of the tongue, then heat on the finish. I REALLY wish I had enough of this to stick in my 2L barrel. I think it would do really well sitting a couple more months. Next time I'm in NY I'm gonna grab some more to experiment. Anyone ever had this?
Jock 07
AG
So I've come to realize that Weller 12 and antique is about as easy to come by here as pappy and BTAC
Jock 07
AG
I also stumbled upon this which seemed interesting, but from what I read from the Google machine, it seems to not be worth the price tag

joshwayne330
^^^ that is like drinking a tree. Horrible stuff IMO. The rhetoric next it it is more drinkable.
tx4guns
AG
Rhetoric is much better. Actually worth the price tag.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
So I've come to realize that Weller 12 and antique is about as easy to come by here as pappy and BTAC

Antique is all over the place - should be easy to find. As already discussed, Weller 12 is pretty scarce these days.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:

Antique is all over the place - should be easy to find. As already discussed, Weller 12 is pretty scarce these days.
Actually, it's not here
plowboy1065
S
I can go back by my liquor store and see if he has anymore Weller 12 or can get some in if anyone is interested. I don't mind grabbing and shipping
Daytona22
AG
My brother-in-law loves Old Blowhard and has been searching all over for it. Personally, I like the Barterhouse and Rhetoric better.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:
My brother-in-law loves Old Blowhard and has been searching all over for it. Personally, I like the Barterhouse and Rhetoric better.

I saw a bottle of that in Oklahoma City Yesterday. I had never seen it before so it caught my eye. I was looking for Weller 12.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually, it's not here

Ahh, you are up in CO. That may make a difference. If you need some shipped, I don't mind doing a C+S for you.
Jock 07
AG
I got my brother to grab me a bottle that I'll pick up when I'm back down that way, thanks for the offer though
No Bat Soup For You
AG
If any Fort Worth Ags are interested Liquor Galore in Weatherford has Weller 12.
FlyFish95
26 years is generally way too long for a bourbon to sit in a barrel.
GregZeppelin
AG
I agree dryfly.

I think the sweet spot is between 15-17 years.

IMO Pappy 15 is divine, JPS 17 was awesome, 18 wasn't quite as good, pappy 20 I rate under that, with 23 bringing up the rear of the long-aged SW/BT wheater family. Since those are all the same recipe and similar products, I figure they provide a good set to differentiate the aging effect, and it Seems to me that after that 15-17 year mark, they started to drop off in quality.

Just my humble opinion, and I'm sure plenty on here will disagree with me on that. But that's how I see it.
NoneGiven
AG
What is retail on Weller 12? Saw some the other day for $36 at a shop that I know marks things up.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I just paid $67 for a bottle of 12 and antique but I'm not sure how it was split. I didn't get a receipt.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I mixed 30 oz of Poor Man's Pappy tonight for the first time. Actually, I've never had wheated a Wheated Bourbon before tonight.

I taste tested what was left over of the 12 and Antique by theirselves. They both went down easier than the Elijah 12 I've been drinking despite having higher proof or almost equal. Do I have to get used to the heat of non-wheated bourbons or do I just have a natural preference for the wheateds?

I had to drink the Eli 12 with a cube of ice but the wheated ones I tried tonight were just fine neat.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Ok, so I just tried a sip of the PMP blend and it is better than I expected. Cant wait to try it again after it has married for a couple weeks.
joshwayne330
W12 + OWA should be right at $50 walkout at MSRP
FlyFish95
quote:
What is retail on Weller 12? Saw some the other day for $36 at a shop that I know marks things up.

I regularly find it for mid $20's.
Mathguy64
AG
If you are in the Frisco area there is a place called Whiskey Cake that has an impressive bourbon list. About 45 bottles including WLW, GTS, THH, JPS18 and Col. Taylor small batch and single barrel. Mixture of ryes, SB and SmB.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Never thought I'd see the day when Weller 12 was being marked up much less sold out.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
FOUND!

coachallout
AG
Email Sent.
Daytona22
AG
Anyone tried Lost Prophet yet? I have a contact in San Fran that is getting his in tomorrow but wanting to charge $150.... Surprised retail is suggesting $120 for this bottle. Orphan Barrel is pretty high on their bourbon.
NoneGiven
AG
Anyone tried this? https://www.caskers.com/amador-ten-barrels-straight-hop-flavored-whiskey/

40% of it is distilled Racer 5 IPA. Thoughts?

Also is anyone looking for Angels Envy CS? Spotted some today at Twin Liquors while beer hunting.
K Bo
AG
quote:
Anyone tried this? https://www.caskers.com/amador-ten-barrels-straight-hop-flavored-whiskey/

40% of it is distilled Racer 5 IPA. Thoughts?

Also is anyone looking for Angels Envy CS? Spotted some today at Twin Liquors while beer hunting.
I haven't had the Amador but I do have a bottle of Charbay (also distilled from Racer 5):

http://www.charbay.com/prod-360042/Whiskey-R5-Lot-No-3.html

I was not a fan at all upon first taste. I don't have specifics other than being turned off. I need to revisit to see exactly what I don't like about it. I would probably try to find it at the pour level before investing in a bottle.
NoneGiven
AG
Thanks for the review. It sounds like Amador took some of the charbay product and blended it.

I'll be holding out for a pour.

http://lukasliquorstl.com/tag/charbay-distillery/
Whoop04
My two favorite things are IPAs and bourbon. I am not sure what I think about mixing them though.
NoneGiven
AG
I can kinda wrap my mind around it. Certain hops have a bitter citrus note that plays well with whiskey. Think manhattans. Too bad racer 5 is dominated by pine.

Also who knows what the distillation process does to those flavors.
youandwhosearmy
My local bar makes a pretty good cocktail using bourbon and simple syrup made from an IPA.

Man-About-Town:
quote:
The cocktail
  • 1 1/2 ounces bourbon or rye
  • 1/2 ounce Campari
  • 1/2 ounce IPA syrup (see below)
  • 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1 lime wedge, for garnish
In a cocktail shaker, combine the bourbon (or rye), Campari, IPA syrup, and lime juice. Add ice, and shake vigorously for 10 to 12 seconds. Strain into a coupe or martini glass, and garnish with a lime wedge.
The IPA syrup
  • 12 ounces IPA (ideally a light, floral IPA, such as Avery - or, barring that, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale)
  • 1 teaspoon orange flower water
  • 12 ounces granulated sugar
Combine the beer and orange flower water in a saucepan, and bring to a simmer. Add the sugar; then remove the pan from the heat, and whisk until the sugar is fully dissolved. Chill thoroughly before using.
http://food52.com/recipes/24465-man-about-town
First Page Last Page
Page 103 of 1098

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.