Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,931,025 Views | 39357 Replies | Last: 30 min ago by austinag1997
FriedTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Personally I don't think cask strength AE is worth $150. Unless you're just nuts over AE, you can get other cask strength bourbons for 1/2 that price that are as good and in my opinion, better.

I'm a big fan of AE but I'm not shelling out 150 for that - somewhere between 75-100 would be more like it
GregZeppelin
AG
Yup, Weller 12.

Should be closer to $25 than $50, but it's about the best wheated bourbon you'll find sitting on the shelf.
joshwayne330
Makers Mark Cask Strength should be your wheater pick
the dude10
AG
quote:
Makers Mark Cask Strength should be your wheater pick

Not for somebody just getting into bourbon. I know when I was buying my second bottle there is no way I could have appreciated or even tolerated a cask strength bourbon. I really had a hard time appreciating something that high in proof for almost the first year really. Maybe I am in the minority, but it definitely took me a while to develop my palate, and especially when dealing with anything over 100 proof
joshwayne330
Come on now. Have you even tried MM Cask Strength? It's 113 proof. We aren't talking George T Stagg or a flaming hot Bookers. MMCS drinks closer to 100 proof. It's the best wheater shelf offering currently available IMO. What's wrong with adding a little bit of water or a rock. To say a beginner shouldn't start off with MMCS is laughable.
armadillojackal02
AG
you'd be silly to pass up a maker's cask strength if you run across one. it's not that hot, and can always add a little water. Specs on dezavala in San Antonio had quite a few in the case yesterday.

my go-to wheater is the Weller 12, but it's getting harder to find (Gabriels on 1604 had a bunch pretty recently). Weller antique 107 is next. Some folks like Larceny.
the dude10
AG
In fairness, no I haven't found or tried any MMCS yet. So uh, yeah, disregard my last post henny lol. If you can find it go for it
oneoutofmany
AG
I'm relatively new to bourbon and I very much enjoyed the MMCS.
henny, the Total Wine on Hulen had some of the MMCS recently. Not sure if they still do but that was the only place in FtW I've seen it.
FlyFish95
quote:
In fairness, no I haven't found or tried any MMCS yet. So uh, yeah, disregard my last post henny lol. If you can find it go for it
It's ok, not great though. It's a cask strength whiskey for the masses.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Spec's on Hulen in Fort Worth had some MMCS behind the register last night.
steve00
AG
My girl made us a travel kit for our flight today.

It's a big Altoids box with a dropper of angostura, one of simple syrup, and whiskey to make Old Fashioneds. The Gentleman Jack bottles were the only ones that fit in the box, but we'll be filling them with good stuff for the flight home. We bought regular Jack on the plane so the stewardesses didn't get suspicious. Easily made four drinks, and probably could have made one more.
tfunk02
AG
Spec's at 8416 Katy Freeway, Houston, TX 77024 had a bunch of MMCS on the shelf.
Atty_Ag
quote:
tx4guns,

There's no email in your profile and that web site does not load. uc.lawyer at gmail

I am in Austin. If there is any way to avoid shipping, I'm all for it.

Greg, I'll keep that in mind if we don't figure something out.

tx4guns? you still interested in this Booker's 25th?
tx4guns
AG
Yes, I am. info@1911-grips.com
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
You bourbon drinkers are some paranoid mo fos. Thanks for all the private messages. One place had already sold out and three others still had some bottles.
WHAT RARE BOTTLES ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT? IF IT IS GOOD ENOUGH TO BE A SECRET, I NEED AT LEAST 2..
Whoop04
I had the misfortune of drinking some jack Daniels "rested" rye whiskey at a family get together. I am glad I didn't buy it or get it as a gift.
If JD wants to sell the whiskey in batches every few years to show how it is changing in age, that's fine. But to sell it at full price is insulting.
tx4guns
AG
Atty Ag,

I've sent 2 emails and haven't heard back. Check your spam folder.
AggieChemist
AG
For Christmas:

Ky Derby Pie

1/2 Cup melted butter
1 Cup granulated sugar
1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Cup English walnuts
1 Cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
2 tablespoons bourbon (pie) plus three fingers (for you)

Mix ingredients in order given. Pour into unbaked 9-inch pie shell. Let ingredients settle for about 5minutes. Bake at 350 for 30minutes.

Top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Was given this for my birthday today. Hirsch 20yr, but it was distilled in 1974. The couple that gave it to me has had it for 20yrs.

joshwayne330
Ummm, you have some really nice friends! And yes, it was bottled about 20 years ago. It's from the same batch as the now infamous AHH16, but the barrels used for this bottling were obviously left alone to age 4 more years.
tx4guns
AG
I'd sell it and buy about 10 bottles of better juice.
FriedTex
AG
Had some GTS 14 tonight..... Loved it
joshwayne330
Probably 30 bottles
SouthTexasAg06
AG
This is definitely going in the collection, not even thinking about parting with it.
Mathguy64
AG
I had both ends of the spectrum this Christmas.

At dinner Christmas Eve I had a pour of 20 yo Pappy. i have never had any before and it was fantastic. Leather and vanilla and smooth as a newborn baby's bottom.

For Christmas someone gave me a bottle of something called "colorado bourbon whiskey" from a micro distellery in Colorado. The bottle says "aged less than 2 years in oak barrels" and "flavored with aspen staves". Pretty sure that meant it might have looked at a barrel across the warehouse while steeping in a vat with a bag of aspen sticks picked up off the side of Pikes Peak. It was raw and astringent. It's a candidate for a small barrel and 3 months in the garage.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Ya, well I got a bottle of Texas Crown Club Whiskey and it came with a football shaped glass to drink it from!
FriedTex
AG
So I decided to buy a mini barrel and try this at home aging process

Do you know any good links that discuss how to do that well?

Any recommendations on what cheap juice is good to age?

Thanks!
Post removed:
by user
FriedTex
AG
I've been drinking 4 Roses Cask Strength all day - then Stagg Jr. - then larceny.....

Lord have mercy
austinag1997
AG
How are you feeling this morning?
plowboy1065
S
I was drinking Weller 12 last night and have a small headache this morning. That tu game was just too good to quit watching
schmellba99
AG
quote:
So I decided to buy a mini barrel and try this at home aging process

Do you know any good links that discuss how to do that well?

Any recommendations on what cheap juice is good to age?

Thanks!

It's a simple process:

1. Pick your bourbon. I have found that the mid to lower grades yield the best results, and you also don't want to chance ruining an already good drink with a more top shelf pour, so stick with something like Maker's, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses YL, etc.

2. Pour into barrel. Don't fill to the top - fill about 75% to 85% full to give room for expansion and contraction due to temp changes.

3. Set aside. I like to alternate between hot and cold environments, especially in the summer time - so I will put the barrel in the garage for a week or two, then in the fridge for a week or so, then on the counter for a week, then back in the garage. Right now I just leave it in the garage because there is enough temp changes to get a lot of action inside the barrel. Rotate the barrel every few days so that the top staves that are not saturated don't dry out.

4. Sample - starting around 1 month. If you don't like it or want to see what it does with more time, wait another week and sample again. Repeat until you like what you are tasting, then empty into a bottle and enjoy.
FriedTex
AG
1) Feeling like a champ! This ain't my first rodeo

2) that's perfect - thank you for the step by step guide

Last question, can I reuse the barrel multiple times? Or does it lose its effectiveness
SouthTexasAg06
AG
You can re-use, but it starts to take longer after each use.

There's a great thread a couple down from this one that has a lot of good info and some recipes.

I have a Sazerac going in mine right now. Going to test it out on NYE.
First Page Last Page
Page 101 of 1125

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.