Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,891,411 Views | 38895 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by Dr. Teeth
IslandAg76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Exactly, Grand Marnier is a liqueur used in a variety of mixed drinks.
GregZeppelin
AG
Most notably, the Zeppelin family's traditional Christmas morning mimosas.
AggieChemist
helgs
AG
Oh my...now that's funny.
helgs
AG
Oh my...now that's funny.

EDIT: I laughed while posting, thus double clicking on "submit" = DOUBLE POST!

[This message has been edited by helgs (edited 3/11/2013 2:40p).]
toucan82
did that really happen?
fav13andac1)c
AG
Lol yes this really happened. I seriously know absolutely nothing about scotch.
IslandAg76
AG
That's pretty funny.
Don't know if he needs some real scotch or if that bottle has some special value to him.
FlyFish95
IMO, if you're just dealing with the regular run in the mill, off the shelf stuff, Buffalo Trace is darned good sh*t.
Atty_Ag
Oh dear.
Specialized
AG
Just want to come back and look at this thread later.
jvd2002
AG
Has anyone had a chance to try George T. Stagg? My girlfriend got me a bottle, it's 143 proof, but smooth as can be!

JVD '02
ORAggieFan
quote:
Has anyone had a chance to try George T. Stagg? My girlfriend got me a bottle, it's 143 proof, but smooth as can be!

Yep. We finished a bottle smoking cigars on a memorable (for a few) night.
tx4guns
AG
I like Stagg better than Pappy 15. Great bourbon.
HouseDivided06
AG
Was at a wedding at the Four Seasons Las Colinas this weekend, and I was planning on sticking to gin and tonic, which is generally my go-to summer drink. I'll still drink bourbon, but not as regularly. However, they were serving Basil Haydens at the reception, and I just couldn't say no. It made for quite a night...
cena05
AG
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2013/03/superaged_spirits_how_old_is_too_old_for_whiskey_gin_and_chartreuse.single.html

Saw this today and thought I'd post.
jvd2002
AG
I know it's not a popular opinion on here, but that article discusses one of the many reasons I live in NYC....amazing bars with a wide variety of cocktail options!
GregZeppelin
AG
That is an interesting article Cena. I'll add that if you ask the distillers at Buffalo Trace (the currant distiller of the Pappy line) they'll tell you that Julian Van Winkle prefers the Pappy 15, to the 20 or 23 year old offerings. And the Van Winkle family as a whole holds the 15 in the highest regard with the 20 and 23 being the runners up, in that order.

I've never had a Pappy myself, I'm just passing along what the distiller said to me. I used to work in an office that shared a parking lot with the Buffalo Trace distillery, and I've spent many an afternoon over there in the tasting room (they'll give you one free tasting a day, regardless of whether you go on a tour or not), never did go on a tour, they stop around 3pm.
BMX Bandit
I prefer the 15 also.
joshwayne330
I would suggest trying both the Pappy 15 and Pappy 20 before saying/assuming one is better than the other. They are 2 completly different animals.

It's not like comparing Maker's Mark and Weller Special Reserve, which are basically the same recipe and roughly the same age, just distilled by 2 differnt distilleries and aged in differnt warehouses. I would call that an apples to apples comparison.

The 2 Pappy's listed above differ dramatically in age, proof, and the combination of distillates in the bottle. The Pappy 15 is a big complex SOB that has a closer resemblence to 12 year wheaters, but just boldler in every aspect such as nose, taste, and thickness on the palate. The Pappy 20 is completly refined, tamed down a notch and unfortunately currently nothing on the market to compare it to. If I had them side by side, Pappy 20 would be my pick simply because when you are drinking it, you can taste how the wood is integrated perfectly to keep it drier/less sweet along with a nose that is unmistakably an OLD wheater. Best Sipper I have ever had.

As I have mentioned before, Buffalo Trace has done a great job (so far) in keeping to the S-W profile for the current Pappy 15 which is all Buffalo Trace. Intersted to compare my S-W Pappy 20 to the All Buffalo Trace Pappy 20 when that day comes around.
The Catfish
AG
I have been lurking on this thread for a while and reading up on some good tips from yall. Haven't always been a big bourbon drinker, but starting to get into it. I have tried some good ones (PVW 20 is the best thing I've ever had), but not that many.

Went out and got 2 bottles lastnight: Eagle Rare 10 yr and Angel's Envy.

I tried the Eagle Rare already and really enjoyed it. Anyone care to compare the 2 for me so I have something to think about when I finally get to the Angel's Envy?

Thanks for all the good info on here.
tx4guns
AG
Angels Envy will be lighter, more dry, more oak, but smoother than the Eagle Rare. Both are two of my favs.
CajunAggie
AG
Finally picked up a bottle of Forty Creek last night, after reading so much about it on this thread.

Will crack it tomorrow after work.
tx4guns
AG
I've changed my mind on the Stagg. It is very good, but after having some Pappy 15 on Tuesday, and then Stagg last night, the Pappy is much more complex and enjoyable. The Stagg tasted plain in comparison. Guess it's time to save up for some Pappy 20.
wadd96
AG
It's not bourbon, but Ranger Creek is releasing their Rimfire Single Malt Whiskey today (distilled from same base as Mesquite Porter.) Should be interesting.

"Today, we showed the resolve of the United States. Today we made a statement to the world... That you can hit us, you can knock us down, but we're gonna get up. And when we do, we will find you and kick your ass!"
- Robert E Clark II, Cpt USN, Commandant of Midshipmen May 1, 2011
CajunAggie
AG
I cracked the Forty Creek last night, and I must say it's very different, but very good. I was surprised at the level of sweet caramel (?) tones that it has. I'll give it another go tonight. It's definitely a change of pace for me, which I needed in terms of the bourbons I've had over the last several years.
FlyFish95
Bought a bottle of Larceny last night. Very smooth. Great for drinking neat or with a little ice.
True Anomaly
AG
Just to piggyback on the Pappy discussion... Had this a few nights ago in Vegas. Pappy flight- 1 oz of each

tremble
AG
Bought a bottle of Four Roses based on the recs in here.

Enjoying it quite a bit. Thinking of doing Bulleit for the next bottle. Go for the rye or the 10 year (I think that's what it is at least)?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Bulleit is my favorite everyday bourbon. The rye is the best bang-for-the-buck rye in that price range. Either one is fine.
joshwayne330
@ True Anomaly - Are you going to let us know what you thought of the 3 different Pappy's???
joshwayne330
@ tremble - If you just tried a bottle of Four Roses I would suggest trying something besides Bulleit. Currently, Four Roses is making/producing all of the Bulleitt 10 year bourbon. Branch out a little bit. If you want to try a pretty good Rye at a reasonable price, go with Rittenhouse Rye 100 made by Heaven Hill.
True Anomaly
AG
I have had the 23-yr before doing this flight, so I knew it'd be the same velvety-smooth amazingness. What I wasn't aware of is how similar the 20 and 23 yrs were to my taste, and how the 15 stuck out like a sore thumb. The 15 certainly is higher in alcohol content than the other two, but I don't think that was the only reason the 15 had more of a bite than 20 and 23.

After having that, and doing some solid internetting, I was reading that one of the Pappy's family thoroughly enjoys the 15 over the other two, and would rank the 23rd last of the three.
Atty_Ag
I received a bottle of Old Pogue as payment for services rendered from a friend. I've not had this one before. Anyone have any tasting notes they'd care to share?
GregZeppelin
AG
Old Pogue is fantastic! One of my absolute favorites.

It's been too long since I've had it to give you any real tasting notes. But it will suffice to say you will not be disappointed.

I tried it on the advice of a co-worker here in Kentucky, that knows the Pogue family. Apparently they dug out the old family recipe from before prohibition and contracted out some production to test the market, to see if they want to re-open the old family business.

It's not widely distributed, only about 9 or 10 states can get it. Texas is one of those, but last I checked Specs was the only Texas retailer that could get it. (that was almost a year ago, so that may have changed)

Long story short: thank your friend, you got a great bottle that's kind of hard to find for most folks.

Also, for any who are interested, it should run about $50 a bottle.

[This message has been edited by GregZeppelin (edited 3/26/2013 11:23p).]
First Page Last Page
Page 19 of 1112

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.