Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,870,966 Views | 38723 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by trouble
tfunk02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://goo.gl/maps/LluDM

Although it's not a bourbon, this liquor store in the Garden Oaks area of Houston had two Balcones 1 Single Malt bottles. They also had two Brimstones and a Baby Blue.
dmart90
AG
quote:
I opened up a Col. Taylor BP this weekend - that is some fine drinking right there. I suggest picking one up, I haven't found anything in that line that is bad yet.
Where did you find it? All I could find was the Small Batch, Single Barrel, and Rye...
jsn1986
AG
quote:
AustinAg1997:
And I have an unopened bottle of FRLE I would be willing to trade off for those interested.
I'd be interested in a trade. Shoot me an email if you are still looking. Not in Austin fwiw.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:
I opened up a Col. Taylor BP this weekend - that is some fine drinking right there. I suggest picking one up, I haven't found anything in that line that is bad yet.
Where did you find it? All I could find was the Small Batch, Single Barrel, and Rye...

It was on the shelf at Spec's downtown a few months ago and I picked it up.

The Rye is a stellar drink. Single barrel will probably be my next pickup, and I can only image the small batch is probably one of the better pours for the price (note: that is pure conjecture, but based on the love I have for what I have tried already in that line).
FlyFish95
EH Taylor BP is all over the place.
dmart90
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

It was on the shelf at Spec's downtown a few months ago and I picked it up.

The Rye is a stellar drink. Single barrel will probably be my next pickup, and I can only image the small batch is probably one of the better pours for the price (note: that is pure conjecture, but based on the love I have for what I have tried already in that line).
The Single Barrel is pretty good...
AggieChemist
AG
I bought a bottle of Sazerac Rye. Never got around to trying this one until recently.

It is a DAMN nice pour for $30.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
In the first few pages of this thread everyone was getting bottles of Pappy Van Winkle. Has it become that much harder to find since 2011?
schmellba99
AG
quote:
In the first few pages of this thread everyone was getting bottles of Pappy Van Winkle. Has it become that much harder to find since 2011?

Yes. The craze has jumped the shark. I don't even put effort into it anymore because I'm not willing to pay secondary prices, and I'm not a high enough roller to be high enough on lists. If I get lucky, I get lucky.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Wow... I guess I'll try the poor mans pappy until I'm a baller and go get a bottle of the real stuff.
Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
surely there's some place in the clear lake/pearland areas with a good selection. i dunno tho. that's pretty far away from me.
Post removed:
by user
FlyFish95
quote:
quote:

Yes. The craze has jumped the shark. I don't even put effort into it anymore because I'm not willing to pay secondary prices, and I'm not a high enough roller to be high enough on lists. If I get lucky, I get lucky.

Yes. Secondary prices are now $700+ for a bottle of 15. If you've never had Pappy before and you paid $700 for your first bottle, you're going to regret the hell out of that purchase.
tx4guns
AG
Pearland got more good stuff than Clear Lake this fall.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Ill ask again, where is the best place to get good bourbon in the Galveston to south Houston area. Is specs the best bet?

NASA Liquor
Ducks4brkfast
Daytona22
AG
Heard that the whole Houston area only received 2 cases of the Parker's Heritage 8th Edition this time around. My BIL was lucky enough to snag one from a guy in Conroe. Tasted it this weekend and it has a very interesting taste to it.... Anyone else found it?
Ezra Brooks
AG
I've only been reading this thread for the past 20 pages or so - and that's mostly been discussion about the recent Pappy release and availability.

As you can tell from my username, I've had a cheap mixer that I prefer for a long time.

I'm also a fan of some nicer stuff on the rocks and have mostly stuck to the Jim Beam Small Batch Collection (Knob, Basil H., Bookers, Bakers) and Makers, Bulleit.

Can I get a general consensus from the Bourbon snobs on these brands without having to cull through 99 pages.

I'm happy enough with them, but I may try some of the Buffalo Trace brands based on what I'm reading here.

schmellba99
AG
quote:
Can I get a general consensus from the Bourbon snobs on these brands without having to cull through 99 pages.

Buffalo Trace:

Buffalo Trace
Any of the Col. EH Taylor Line
Elmer T. Lee
Eagle Rare
Blantons
Rock Hill Farms
WL Weller 12 Year
Weller Reserve, Weller Antique

Heaven Hill:

Elijah Craig 12 Year
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (damned fine stuff this is)
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Larceny
Parker's Hertiage
Henry McKenna SB

Four Roses SB, or even the yellow label, is also a great pour.

Jefferson Reserve is good too, as is the Very Old Small Batch.

Any of the Willett bottlings seems to be very popular (pretty good stuff from what little I've tried). The High West line is pretty solid, as is the Old Scout (Smooth Ambler) line as well.

These are all, for the most part, easy to find at a respectable store and should get you going.

Whoop04
For its price point, four roses small batch and single barrell, and also eagle rare 10 can't be beat IMO.
Stan Crowch
AG
I feel like ER 10 is an incredible value.
Slicer97
AG
For me, the best bang-for-your-buck is Evan Williams Single Barrel (and Woodford Reserve, now that it's on sale at Spec's for $29)
FlyFish95
quote:
I feel like ER 10 is an incredible value.
Agreed.
FriedTex
AG
I bought Evan Williams SB this week, pretty weak stuff IMO. I'd rather drink Woodford as an everyday sipper myself.

Best sub-50 bottle IMO is Noah's Mill
Larceny and ER 10 are the best value buys

Favorite Bourbon period is SB Barrel Proof OESV & OBSV - hands down better than GTS 14 IMO
Slicer97
AG
Differing opinions. I don't care for Larceny as anything other than a mixer and thought ER 10 was good but nothing special. To each his own, I reckon.
schmellba99
AG
ER10 and Woodford don't do anything for me at all.

Evan Williams SB is a little lighter than many other offerings, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I happen to like a nice smooth pour that I can just drink on occasion - and it's sometimes a nice change from the stouter BP's that I usually have.
Buck O Five
AG
Rebecca Creek is a good value.
Daytona22
AG
Had an offer come across late last night from one of the stores I deal with quite a bit. Much out of my price range but figured I would see if anyone was interested here... Hirsch 16 yr Old Humidor Limited Edition for $1500. Hopefully picking up a Parker's Heritage tomorrow.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
Rebecca Creek is a good value.

It's awful tho.
FlyFish95
quote:
Had an offer come across late last night from one of the stores I deal with quite a bit. Much out of my price range but figured I would see if anyone was interested here... Hirsch 16 yr Old Humidor Limited Edition for $1500. Hopefully picking up a Parker's Heritage tomorrow.

Unless someone is buying it as an investment, not bottle of liquor is worth $1,600.
steve00
AG
The AH Hirsch 16 from 1974 is readily available on the Internet for $1200-1500, so $1500 is at the top of the free market value.

I'm not going to argue whether it is worth it, but no sense paying 1500 when you could pay 1200.
Daytona22
AG
Agreed. I don't think any bottle is worth that price value either.
joshwayne330
Just a few short years ago, that exact juice in the AHH16 humidor set was on sale at Binny's for $49 because they couldn't sell it. There is a sucker born everyday.
steve00
AG
No different than PVW. Supply and demand is a *****.
First Page Last Page
Page 99 of 1107

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.