Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,864,825 Views | 38666 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by trouble
FlyFish95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Am I the only one who has trouble getting excited about MMCS? I am sure it's fine, but something about it feels disingenuous.

Disingenuous? I got a bottle at Specs for $28. Not a huge investment. It's what you'd expect. Maker's Mark, but stronger. It's definitley hot, but good.
Kid A
AG
At around $30 it's a fair price. Just remember it's only 375 ml. I was honestly surprised by how small the bottle looks. It's been getting pretty good reviews from what I've seen.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
It'll probably start making it's way around town.

As luck would have it, i found myself doing a little windshield time today, so I stopped by. None on the shelves, but they had a case hidden away that I grabbed a couple of bottles out of. $27 per bottle, I figure it was worth it based on what i have heard.

Also walked out with a Col. Taylor BP, so it was a nice little stop for me.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Am I the only one who has trouble getting excited about MMCS? I am sure it's fine, but something about it feels disingenuous.
I think it is the smaller size bottles and the 30-40 price tag. MM isnt that great to begin with so I have hard time thinking cast strength is that much better.

For instance - FRSB is a good pour, period. So tasting its specific strands at a higher proof is worth 50 bucks to me personally. MM - not so much
FlyFish95
I guess that's where opinions vary.
austinag1997
AG
BTAC has started hitting stores in Austin, selectively at least. Sounds like it will be a phased rollout with Stagg hitting first.
sangredevino
What's BTAC sell for?
07ag
AG
was about $90 at specs in sugar land,, only was able to find handy sazerac though

spicy,, but quite good stuff
FlyFish95
What Specs did you find it at?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
was about $90 at specs in sugar land,, only was able to find handy sazerac though

spicy,, but quite good stuff

The Handy Sazerac is the best one in my opinion.
TxKng82
AG
quote:
MM isnt that great to begin with so I have hard time thinking cast strength is that much better.

For instance - FRSB is a good pour, period. So tasting its specific strands at a higher proof is worth 50 bucks to me personally. MM - not so much

I understand the thought and I'll agree I don't like MM or MM46 either so I wouldn't get too excited but Ive had some MMCS and its good stuff. I'll definitely grab a bottle if I see it.
07ag
AG
6/williams trace,, i may have gotten the last bottle though, didn't see anymore

first time i've gotten it, but it challenges george t stagg as my favorite
austinag1997
AG
I opened a bottle of MMCS last night. I am not a fan of MM, but the MMCS is pretty good. In fact, I will likely get a couple more this afternoon.
tx4guns
AG
austinag, that's pretty much the general consensus on MMCS. Tasty stuff.
dmart90
AG
Where did you find BTAC, austinag? I'm up in Leander and there's nothing out here...
dmart90
AG
Also, my buddy in Louisville told me this morning that there is a store there in town that is releasing Pappy today at 6:00 PM. The line was 15 people deep this AM, with several of them having spent the night in line. Crazy!
FlyFish95
^
|
|

Ridiculous.
austinag1997
AG
Dmart,

One of the Tejas liquor stores on Wells Branch. He had sold a case of GTS. Other stores expect to get GTS today. Other BTAC next week.
dmart90
AG
Thanks!
ka
ISO Four Roses 125th anniversary

Kurt.amend at gmail
0708aggie
AG
Has anyone tried the BT single oak project whiskey? I found 6 bottles and have never heard of it
tfunk02
AG
I had bottle 125 and liked it a lot.

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2011/05/16/review-buffalo-trace-distillery-single-oak-project-bourbon-round-one/
TxKng82
AG
I have Barrel #6, I definitely enjoy it but wouldn't buy a bottle again for the price. Only reason I bought one was they let me buy a bottle of ORVW10 with it.
austinag1997
AG
Dmart,

I don't know where you would shop in Leander to find BTAC. I don't know of one locale that gets an allocation.
the dude10
AG
Talked to a place today that had a bottle of stagg and 2 bottles of handy. Wanted $200 a piece and I passed. Said they also got in "some van winkle" this morning so I am not sure which one but said it went very very quickly.

This is in Austin btw
oneoutofmany
AG
Managed a bottle of ORVW 10 today. Was in line behind an older lady who was paying for bottles of each of the Van Winkles and a bottle of GTS. It had all arrived this afternoon and the wine manager at this particular location had snatched up most of the goodies for one of his biggest customers. He walked it out to her car and gave her a hug before she drove off. I guess it really is all about who you know.
Post removed:
by user
0708aggie
AG
Talked to a small local place in north Dallas who said Friday morning is when the will get their shipment
austinag1997
AG
$200/bottle is what I got priced for GTS and Handy this afternoon.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
$200/bottle is what I got priced for GTS and Handy this afternoon.

I happen to think that the list price for the BTAC is actually a good value and I might be coerced into $85 or maybe $90 a bottle. But that's nuts. I mean bat **** crazy level nuts.
steve00
AG
To each his own, but I think $200 is a pretty good price. BTAC usually goes for between $350-800 on the open market of Internet liquor stores.

If I saw any of them for $200 in a store I'd grab all they'd sell me.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
i think mathguy86 would be shocked to see how much wine sells for.
Mathguy64
AG
I wouldn't be shocked at the prices of some wines. I just think it's an issue of diminishing returns on investment. Again, I think its a great value at what its priced at, at MSRP. I would be willing to pay somewhat more than that because I think its that good a value. But at $200, I don't see the value any more. Certainly not at the $350-800 point. There are tons of really good bourbons out there. Are they as good as GTS or THH? No. But GTS isn't 8-10x better either.
austinag1997
AG
I can get Stagg Jr. for about $58/bottle. GTS is not worth 3-4 times that. Just my opinion. I do think WLW and Handy is worth more than $90/bottle. I probably would pay a premium on those but $200 is tough to swallow (no pun intended). Incidentally, I am hooked on wine also, but there is a vastly greater selection/supply. I consider that a buyers market (no I am not out looking for Screaming Eagle). Lots of good values on wine. The current demand on bourbon has things really fouled up with no way to correct the supply side within a decade. I applaud BT for the Stagg Jr offering.
austinag1997
AG
Just got the call on a bottle PVW 20!
First Page Last Page
Page 90 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.