Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,753,784 Views | 37596 Replies | Last: 38 min ago by AgDev01
Quantum ace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So you are saying that the Pappy Van Winkle is a joint venture, using the Buffalo Trace equipment and Van Winkle specifications, while the Old Rip Van Winkle line is completely owned and operated by Buffalo Trace?

Pappy Van Winkle = Buffalo Trace + Julian Van Winkle
Old Rip Van Winkle = Buffalo Trace only

[This message has been edited by Quantum ace (edited 4/24/2012 6:52p).]
MisterHancock
Its an argument in semantics. ORVW is produced in conjunction with the family, but they dont carry an active interest in the daily operation and distiliing of the product whereas the family members are very hands on for the JV production of PVW. One the family owns, but basically allows BT to produce without family interjection while PVW is a JV in every phase, not just the equipment and distilling.
Quantum ace
AG
Calling it semantics may be stretching a little bit, and your first post was fairly confusing. Julian Van Winkle is the president of the Old Van Winkle distillery, which is a joint venture between Buffalo Trace and the Van Winkle family. My understanding is that Buffalo Trace may have more of the input in the non PVW lines, but everything with the Van Winkle name is still produced under supervision from the Van Winkle family.
K Bo
AG
Tried Wodoford Double Oaked last night ... very solid and will stay in my regular rotation.

[This message has been edited by K Bo (edited 4/26/2012 11:04a).]
Nom de Plume
AG
Sipped some PVW20 last night. Been drinking way too much beer lately and this was a welcome change.

Found a bottle of OVW10 in Boerne if anyone is interested.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Is that 12 year VW still at Village Liquor?
Quantum ace
AG
I can check tomorrow.
Head Ninja In Charge
Producers_96
AG
Just got a bottle of PVW 20 as a birthday gift from my fiancee.

I think I'll keep her...
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
Is that 12 year VW still at Village Liquor?

Its gone. All they have left is the PVW 23.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Thanks for the heads up.
YouBet
AG
So, I finally had Woodford Reserve and do not like it at all. Ordered at a restaurant last week. Really thought the bartender gave me the wrong bourbon (and actually thought maybe I didn't even get bourbon), so I had it again somewhere else and it was the same.

Very surprised considering the approvals it generally gets. I'll stick to the Willet!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
i'm not a fan of woodford either
Max06
AG
I need suggestions for my next bottle. I'm actually open to any really good whiskey but I just polished a bottle of Scotch, so I'm leaning more towards the bourbon route. Suggestions need to be <$40 bottle.

Here's what I've had recently:

Blanton's
Buffalo Trace
Elijah Craig
Evan Williams
Famous Grouse
Jack Single Barrel
MacAllen 12
Makers Mark
Makers Mark 46
Wild Turkey 81
Wild Turkey 101
Willett
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Old Charter 10
Four Roses
'03ag
Had Bookers for the first time this weekend. Pretty intense being barrel proof, but I liked it a lot. I'll be keepin it on hand.
ORAggieFan
Max - not sure price in TX, but Angel's Envy is pretty good and $43/bottle here (Cali).

Eagle Rare worth grabbing as well and definitely in that price range.
Max06
AG
Wow Angel's Envy sounds awesome. $40 on the nose at Spec's in downtown Houston. I'll have to look for it here in B/CS.

quote:
Reddish dark amber; lush cherry and sweet oak nose; very smooth and mellow with sweet, creamy flavors and lovely balance; feminine and sensual with plenty of easy-going charm.
ORAggieFan
Yeah, I had a glass a few weeks ago at a buddy's bar per his recommendation and enjoyed it.
mattvswild
AG
My bil loves that stuff (Angel's Envy). I've only had a glass, but it's not bad.
Quantum ace
AG
Four Roses Single Barrel is very good.

Rowens Creek is one of my favorites. If you like Bookers, you will probably like it.

Eagle Rare is definitely worth picking up, and will probably get added to my permanent collection between the Buffalo Trace and Rowens.
JonSnow
Anyone tried anything from Balcones? I recently had the Brimstone and loved it.
Quantum ace
AG
I was not a big fan of the Brimstone, but I do like the Baby Blue. It has improved as they started aging it longer, but I kind of miss the raw smoky corn flavor from the original release. I would like to try the single malt, but its a little out of my budget right now.
Max06
AG
Ended up with Four Roses single barrel as Spec's didn't have Angel's Envy or Eagle Rare. I look forward to trying it a little later tonight when the brisket has been on the pit for a while.
GregZeppelin
AG
Four Roses Single Barrel is one of my favorites, hard to go wrong with it. Enjoy!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I went to grab some FRSB from the liquor cabinet last night but grabbed some Parker's Heritage Collection instead. Good stuff. I had to cut the Parker's down to about 100 proof (bottles at 124 proof) and it was excellent.
aggielax48
AG
quote:
The Templeton is definitely worth the money. Awesome, smooth stuff. A lot like Redbreast.

I really like Templeton, the only way I get it is through in-laws in Iowa and its not even easy to get there. I tried Bulliet Rye since they are distilled at the same place but the Templeton was better. I'm going to try High West Double Rye and Redemption next.
proudaggie02
AG
I'd heard great thinhs about Evan Williams 1783, but I've never been able to find it in Colorado. I found some in FLorida, and it's really good for a cheapie.
Max06
AG
Picked up a bottle of Angel's ENvy tonight.

I'm in love.
DPlainview
AG
I know this is the bourbon thread, but if anyone has some Pappy's 15+ that they are willing to trade or make a deal for some Green Spot, please let me know. Feel free to PM.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
i must be fortunate as i've got several bottles of 15 and 20 Pappy and Green Spot.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Had a Buffalo Trace Old Fashioned tonight at the usual in fort worth. Highly recommend
True Anomaly
AG

Ever tried? I've been a fan for the past couple of years. It's still tough to find even in the Northeast, so the last bottle I picked up was when I was driving through the actual Hudson valley.

[This message has been edited by True Anomaly (edited 8/7/2012 8:30a).]
txaggie05
AG
quote:
I'd heard great thinhs about Evan Williams 1783, but I've never been able to find it in Colorado. I found some in FLorida, and it's really good for a cheapie.

It's my go-to for my mixing bourbon for bourbon & Coke. It's definitely a little sweeter like Maker's, but for the price (~$22 for a handle) I don't think it can be beat.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
There's a good amount of Garrison Bros. at Spec's on Weslayan in Houston. Still SMH'ing at that price tag, though.
First Page Last Page
Page 9 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.