Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,852,638 Views | 38543 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TexAgs1992
JimShorts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Breckenridge Bourbon
tx4guns
AG
Garrison is pretty much constant at the Specs in Clear Lake now. Too pricey for me to buy it, as I can almost buy a bottle of Noah's Mill AND Blantons for the same price.
K Bo
AG
quote:
Garrison is ... Too pricey for me to buy it, as I can almost buy a bottle of Noah's Mill AND Blantons for the same price.
proudaggie02
AG
I'm getting excited for "Van Winkle season"... only about 3 or 3.5 months away here in Denver. I'm at ~30 bottles of bourbon and 5 bottles of rye, and I've told myself I won't buy another bottle until it is Van Winkle. I'm thinking I will get 3-4 bottles of 10 yr (at least one each of the 90 and 107), and at least one bottle each of 12, 15, and 20.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
^You. Are. A. Jerk.
Coby
AG
As far as cheap cheap goes, has anyone else here tried Rebel Yell? It was a little under $10 for a 750 ML bottle. Being that cheap I wasn't expecting much but I mixed it with coke and was pretty impressed. Although I did just start drinking alcohol like 3 months ago so my taste for Bourbon is pretty limited. Hell, I thought Jim Beam mixed with a little bit of coke is delicious.

I'm glad I came across this thread because the next time I go get Whiskey I'm going to try this Evan Williams. Being a student it looks like it's right in my price range.
Atty_Ag
The call for volunteers at Garrison Brothers is going out. They need 16-18 people per day starting in mid September for three weeks.
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
As far as cheap cheap goes, has anyone else here tried Rebel Yell?

I bought a bottle based on the recommendation of a liquor store worker. It's not bad at all for mixing, especially considering the price.
austinag1997
AG
I have a couple of bottles of Garrison Brothers at the house now, but right now... Blanton's rules in my house. Will continue to support Garrison Brothers.

Haven't had Pappy's, but will be looking for a bottle later this year!
tx4guns
AG
Other than being a Texas company, I don't get all the hype about Garrison Brothers. I tried it for the first time last night, and it is one of the worst tasting bourbons I've ever tried. Tastes like an oak plank. Semi smooth, but the flavor is nothing like a quality bourbon should be. And if you are doubting my review, I had a glass of Bookers right next to it as a comparison. I was thoroughly disappointed. Those of you pumping it up might want to try some good Kentucky single barrel bottles so you know what good bourbon is.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
quote:
Other than being a Texas company, I don't get all the hype about Garrison Brothers. I tried it for the first time last night, and it is one of the worst tasting bourbons I've ever tried. Tastes like an oak plank. Semi smooth, but the flavor is nothing like a quality bourbon should be. And if you are doubting my review, I had a glass of Bookers right next to it as a comparison. I was thoroughly disappointed. Those of you pumping it up might want to try some good Kentucky single barrel bottles so you know what good bourbon is.

I agree with this review. I thought the same thing you did with the oak plank. Bookers and Pappy is all I need.
Max06
AG
I bought a glass of Garrison at the bar just to try it before splurging on a bottle, glad I did because it was certainly drinkable but not nearly worth the price tag.
Atty_Ag
Haters gonna hate. You may now return to your Pappy circle jerk fest and futures market trading. I shant mention it again.
tx4guns
AG
It's not hate. It's an honest assessment of the taste.
Zone Club
And it is an opinion shared by most in the business. The only people that don't are those like Atty ag who think knowing the owners improves what they are bottling.

Garrisons at 66% off is still a Blantons night.
Atty_Ag
My response is that I take exception to your oh-so-snide remark that I "try some good Kentucky single barrel bottles so you know what good bourbon is." I've had plenty, good sir. Can one not like Garrison and those others, too?

Garrison has to start somewhere. I get it. You don't like it. Lots of others do. Is it expensive? Yes. Should it be priced lower? Yes. Will it improve as they get more experience? Most certainly.

As this is the Bourbon thread, I thought others might like a chance to come see their distillery. It's really quite interesting.

Carry on, then.
tx4guns
AG
If it brings you pleasure to drink it, that's great. It was an unpleasant experience for me, so I shared my opinion and suggested that if people think it's a good bourbon, they might want to explore some from KY b/c they're much better.
Mr. McGibblets
AG

This circle jerk feels oh so good and oh so
smoothe.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
Other than being a Texas company, I don't get all the hype about Garrison Brothers. I tried it for the first time last night, and it is one of the worst tasting bourbons I've ever tried. Tastes like an oak plank. Semi smooth, but the flavor is nothing like a quality bourbon should be.

While it is not comparable to any whiskey at its price point, I do find Garrison enjoyable. It is still very young, and I have enjoyed noting the changes in flavor from each release. It is over priced, but I don't mind spending a little extra cash once or twice a year to see maturation process over time. From a pure taste standpoint, its not worth it. From a whiskey nerd standpoint, it is freaking awesome. Until I find a suitable place for my own still, its the best way to follow the flavor progression as it ages.
austinag1997
AG
I agree that Garrison Bros tastes heavy on the oak accents. Let it aerate.
Atty_Ag
I picked up some W L Weller 12 year old tonight (black label). It must come out only every now and then because I had not seen it just last week. At only $21.97, it's at a good price point. I found it really heavy on the cinnamon and spicy notes, but enjoyable. It's more front loaded than having a lasting finish, but I'd certainly recommend trying it as a one-off.
proudaggie02
AG
^
If that's the one that is supposed to be the same taste profile as Van Winkle, I've thought about getting it many times. I think it's $23-25 here, and I can get the Van Winkle for a couple bucks more. I'll buy some eventually.

I bought some Charter 101 on he recommendation of a liquor store employee. Wow, I am really impressed. For $16 for a 750, it is outstanding. And it's pretty smooth for a 101.
Atty_Ag
I believe you are correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C_G2r2BOcU

Twin Liquors in Austin is having a big sale tonight and Friday only, so I stopped in. They were offering the same WL Weller for only $18. I bought a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch for only $18.83 tonight. It was marked down from $29.99. There were markdowns on everything.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Charter 101 and Old Charter 10 are some of the best bourbons made.
proudaggie02
AG
Anyone have a good bourbon cocktail to recommend? I'm a little bored with drinking bourbon on the rocks, bourbon with gingerale, and Manhattans.
Atty_Ag
old fashioned?
tx4guns
AG
Mint Julep
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Mint Julep

Blasphemy!!!
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
Mint Julep

Bro...
CRM1712
AG
How the hell do I get a bottle of Pappy? I've looked at every specs i've been too, and gotten on "wait lists" to never be called. Is there some secret? I'm in Houston btw.
tx4guns
AG
I should have put the barf face on my Mint Julep reply. Turrible drink. Yuck.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
The neighborhood liquor store near me may still have a bottle of the 23 on the shelf. I'll check when I get back into town and report back.
CRM1712
AG
I think that was to me. Thanks. Is the best bet to go to more "mom and pop" liquor stores?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
As opposed to Goody Goody, Specs, etc.? I believe so.
Zone Club
The place near ducks asks stupid high prices.

The release comes out once per year. You haven't heard back be ause they haven't released any. When they do, if you are on specs list ou will get called. They sell 23 for 199.99 as opposed to the store by ducks that sells it for 2x that amount.
First Page Last Page
Page 10 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.