Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,836,934 Views | 38396 Replies | Last: 12 min ago by rebelag62
MisterHancock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Had some of the 2012 Garrisons. It was absolutely horrid.

2011 was weak and 2012 was weak too. So much for the 2012 being the end all be all like they wanted people to think.
tx4guns
AG
Specs in Clear Lake had a shelf full of Garrison the other day. Glad I didn't buy any and chose Blantons instead.
showtime
AG
Sorry to hear that. Glad that it leaves more for me.
FishrCoAg
AG
Bought a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel last weekend, solid everyday bourbon for reasonable price.
jobu93
AG
I keep Garrison Bros, Buffalo Trace, and Blantons as my rotational 3 right now.

I like all 3 very much.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Stopped by Costco on the way home tonight to pick up some things, and made a quick pass through the liquor store there. Sitting in the case was a bottle of PVW 23 for $229.99. I quickly told the clerk I wanted it...she said they unexpectedly got in 5 bottles of various Van Winkle, and this one was all that was left. She wasn't sure what others they got in, but thought she had sold a couple 10 year olds and a 12 year old. Wish I had been there earlier to get some of the others, but am thrilled with the 23. A nice surprise to say the least.
showtime
AG
that's a great price for the 23.
tx4guns
AG
The Paddy is good stuff! Very light and smooth. Might bump Redbreast down a spot on my list in that price range. It comes in a 1L bottle, too!
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
Stopped by Costco on the way home tonight to pick up some things, and made a quick pass through the liquor store there. Sitting in the case was a bottle of PVW 23 for $229.99. I quickly told the clerk I wanted it...she said they unexpectedly got in 5 bottles of various Van Winkle, and this one was all that was left. She wasn't sure what others they got in, but thought she had sold a couple 10 year olds and a 12 year old. Wish I had been there earlier to get some of the others, but am thrilled with the 23. A nice surprise to say the least.

Frak. If you're in Houston, I saw Poison Girl was able to get one of those bottles. Found out too late.
aggiespartan
AG
I just found a restaurant that has whiskey flights...I don't know how good any of the whiskies are, but I've never seen whiskey flights before.
'03ag
Where was this?
aggiespartan
AG
Portland, OR
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
I just found a restaurant that has whiskey flights
MisterHancock
You can get pappy 23 for 199.99 in Colorado, and it isnt even that hard (even during the off season)

One of the many bebefits ofnot lviing in Texas
Quantum ace
AG
Place near me just raises prices on stuff like PVW until he sells out. He said he sold his last bottle of 15 yr old for around $120.

He has two bottles of 23 for around $400, and one bottle of 12 at $70.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
"Place near me just raises prices on stuff like PVW until he sells out. He said he sold his last bottle of 15 yr old for around $120."

Me too. He's still got 2 bottles of the 23 on the shelf.
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
You can get pappy 23 for 199.99 in Colorado, and it isnt even that hard (even during the off season)

One of the many bebefits ofnot lviing in Texas

Where in CO? I'd love to find some 20 before the November shipment.
Atty_Ag
Really find it odd that Garrison provokes such a heated response from some people. It's not the best bourbon ever, but many people do enjoy it.
GregZeppelin
AG
for me it's the fact that you can get something like Pappy 12 for the same or less money than the Garrison Bros.

I'll admit I haven't had the chance to try it, not living in Texas, but from pretty much everything I've heard it's not worth anywhere near the price they charge. That fact, I think, makes many resent the fact that you're basically getting a $25-$30 bottle of bourbon, and paying another $50 because it's marketed so prominently as "Texas" Bourbon, essentially exploiting the state loyalty of Texans.

Just my observations after having followed many Garrison Bros discussions. Also, for the record, I would like to try it for myself if I ever get a chance, not sure I will at the current price though.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I need to try it. I've had an unopened bottle for a couple months now. May be about time.
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
for me it's the fact that you can get something like Pappy 12 for the same or less money than the Garrison Bros.

Based on what I paid this year, you can get both a bottle of Van Winkle 12 ($43) and VW 10 107-proof ($28-30) for less than Garrison. Both of the 10 year VWs are much better than Garrison.

I think the VW 15 was about $55.
BusterAg
AG
I, too, believe that much of the angst relates to price.

It is not really terrible, but, cmon, $70+?

I'm not sure a new distillery could make it on $30, but there has got to be some middle ground here that makes sense.

Then again, liquor stores can't keep it on the shelves right now. Might as well make hay while the sun shines.
proudaggie02
AG
Having tried it already, I would maybe consider buying a bottle if it was $20-25. I can think of at least 15 bourbons in my bar that are better than Garrison & most are less than $45 for 1.75 or less than $25 for a 750.
MisterHancock
"Liquor stores are having no problem keeping it on the shelf."

Asked a specs guy about it on Saturday and he said it was moving very slowly.

I think that is part of what turns people off to the product. Those that drink it are more arrogant than tsips. They dog on other established, well rated spirits when they cant name what they like about the product that distinguishes it from any of the 15 other lower priced quality boubons other than it is made in texas. They cant even name any awards won by the spirit in international or domestic recognized competitions, but know its better than anything with a lower price point (ROFL). Its always that they got to be part of the bottling or know the owners. Sorry, but that doesnt make whats in the bottle any better. Instead of admitting that bottling it is fun but that doesnt make it not overpriced, they always have a litany of excuses as to why the data that doesnt support their claims should be ignored, or why those that dont like it have uncouth tastes.

The "you dont like it, sucks for you, more for me" line doesnt hold water at $75+ a bottle and only makes you look like an arrogant sip. I guess us poors will be stuck drinking higher rated bourbon for 1/2 the price while you garrisons drinkers play dog with each other trying to convince yourselves you are part of some "elite" club.

[This message has been edited by MisterHancock (edited 4/23/2012 1:11p).]
Jim01
AG
So are there places in Houston that still have PVW 12 yr in stock? I am insterested in trying it. (Ducks and Quantum, I'm looking at you since you mentioned people having it.)

I am in Pearland BTW.

[This message has been edited by Jim01 (edited 4/23/2012 2:30p).]
Quantum ace
AG
Village Liquor at Wirt and Westview (Northwest side of town) had a bottle of 12 for $70. If you want I can check if it is still there, or pick it up for you.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
^ that's my liquor store and he had two 23 yo last I was in there. Excellent store with a huge scotch selection.

If you want to try pappy, there are bars in town with it. Pappas steak and branch water tavern to name a couple. FYI.
Quantum ace
AG
About a week ago he still had two of the 23, the 12, and a 10 yo. I just can't justify $400 for the 23 right now. He does have an excellent scotch selection, and a handful of bourbons that even the Smith St Specs doesnt stock. He convinced me to try the Colonel E.H. Taylor, and I have really enjoyed the Single Barrel.
MisterHancock
Old Rip Van Winkle 12 is not PVW. It is good stuff from Buffalo Trace, but the 2 shouldnt be confused. Buffalo trace bought the right to the old rip van winkle name, but the family wouldnt sell the pappy van winkle brand.
Quantum ace
AG
I know that the "PVW" name was reserved for the 15, 20 and 23, but I thought that Buffalo Trace was doing the bottling and distilling for the whole Van Winkle line under the Old Van Winkle name.
'03ag
I believe buffalo trace is only doing the distilling for PVW.
GregZeppelin
AG
I was under the impression that Buffalo Trace made PVW these days, but I'm not sure.

I can walk over to Buffalo Trace on my lunch break next Friday and ask if y'all want.
K Bo
AG
Other bars in Houston with PVW - Anvil, Poison Girl, and Brasserie 19.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
and Reserve 101
MisterHancock
PVW is a joint venture between thefamily and BT. Old Rip van Winkle is owned by BT just like the names in the antique collection.

The JV between the groups means that BT uses the specifics set by the JVW ancestors, but their hardware and space. JVW team is a father and son only.
First Page Last Page
Page 8 of 1098

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.