Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,870,858 Views | 38721 Replies | Last: 27 min ago by h_town_ags
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ducks, I thought that's what you were getting at. I'm the same way. I just don't care for the added flavor profile.
joshwayne330
quote:
quote:
Hot Wheater there
right up your alley!

Wrong! WLW '13 sucked and so will '14. The heat distracts everything. A Bad A$$ barrel proof wheater should be 114-123 proof.
joshwayne330
Anybody want a solid finished bourbon, I have a few PHC5's available - HH juice finished in oversized Cognac barrels
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
Nope, you're exactly right. My point is it's hard for me to get excited about finished bourbons.

Angels Envy tastes great. However at what point does a bourbon, cease to be a bourbon?

Put a bourbon mash in a new charred oak barrel for a decade or so and let's see how good it is. If it's good, I'll buy it. If it's great, I'll pay a premium for it. Personally, i just don't get too excited about experiments outside normally accepted bourbon distilling methods.

What is weird is that I do like bourbon barrel finished beers. So that's a bit contradictory, I suppose.

I'm not exactly crazy about finished whiskey, but like the idea of trying something new. The standard practices are standard for a reason, they have a proven track record of success. Most of these things are more gimmick than substance, but every once in a while something decent pans out. This is less gimmicky then most, with the only addition being an extra layer of wood influences.

I do love Angels Envy Rye, but I don't compare it to any other whiskey, let alone rye. I agree that the finishing process has essentially created a new product.

The PH5 and HHSS turned out pretty damn good as well. You may not like them, but you seem to be in the minority.
Atty_Ag
FYI

There is a new shipment of Elijah Craig barrel strength (134.8) at Twins in Bee Cave. This is easily one of my favorites, even if they bumped the price from $45 to $50 this time around. If you have not tried it, do yourself a favor and grab one. They could sell this for twice the price and it would be worth it.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Wheat bourbons get better with proof and age, imo. A really good bourbon can knock down its ABV intensity. As someone recently mentioned to me, I'm looking for that white wale! A really old, really high proof wheat drink that makes me want to slap Wes Henderson's grandma.
austinag1997
AG
Just catching up on the thread, and wanted to comment on the finished bourbons. A bourbon doesn't cease being a bourbon because it is finished in a French Oak or Cognac barrel, although I understand the sentiment. Personally, I like the longer finish of Makers 46 (compared to MM). I believe it only sits in the "finishing" barrel for a month or two.

Personally, I appreciate the experimentation. Don't always like the end result.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Anybody want a solid finished bourbon, I have a few PHC5's available - HH juice finished in oversized Cognac barrels

What are you looking to get out of them?
joshwayne330
quote:
Wheat bourbons get better with proof and age, imo. A really good bourbon can knock down its ABV intensity. As someone recently mentioned to me, I'm looking for that white wale! A really old, really high proof wheat drink that makes me want to slap Wes Henderson's grandma.

Please provide examples of really high proof proof great wheaters? I am very interested.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
The wheated 2010 PHC I'm drinking as I type this is better to me at 128 proof than it is if I cut it down.

the dude10
AG
Atty,

I had my wife stop by there today thanks to your post. The EC barrel proof bottle I got is 140.2. It is hot but damn it's good! Thanks for the heads up!
joshwayne330
quote:
The wheated 2010 PHC I'm drinking as I type this is better to me at 128 proof than it is if I cut it down.

Oh okay. Didn't realize 10 year whiskey was considered really old. My bad.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
No sweat.
Quantum ace
AG
I like a lot of bourbon around 8-10 years old, but it seems like a lot of wheaters are barely hitting their stride around 10 years.

I don't know about high proof though. The 2012 WLW was amazing at 123.4 proof, but I can't recall trying any other really good ones over 120.
joshwayne330
^^^^ completely agree with the WLW '12 assessment, great bottling . Only fantastic "young" wheater I have tried is the Bernheim distilled OWA. I will put that up against any current ORVW10 or Lot B and it will take the cake every time.
FlyFish95
I usually like the wheaters starting at 10 yrs and beyond.
aggiemike89
AG
Just got back from a road trip to Bardstown and beyond. Had pours at HH of 23 year old Evan Williams, Heavenhill cask strength, Heavenhill small batch and HH select stock. The cask and small batch were my favorites. Picked up a bottle of both. Both are amazing juice in my opinion.
steve00
AG
Opened a few bottles and did a vertical tasting today.

I liked the 15 and 20 the most. The 23 seemed a little one-note in comparison. I would happily drink any of them any time though.
FriedTex
AG
Steve you are one sonuva*****
dmart90
AG
Nice steve00!

And here I was thinking the Noah Mill 15 I picked up this weekend was pretty tasty.
GregZeppelin
AG
So I've got two glasses of bourbon in front of me. One is Weller 12, the other is Larceny.

Nothing double-blind, or overly scientific, but after sipping both a few times, I think the Weller 12 is just better all around than the Larceny, for my tastes anyways.

The Larceny is definitely a lot better than I remember it being a few years back, and objectively it is a good bourbon. When when I taste it alongside the Weller 12, the 12 has a fuller, richer, flavor and has a much longer finish than the Larceny. Both had almost identical noses, but the Weller's was simply a more robust version of the Larceny. Same smells, but more of it with the Weller.

Larceny is a very good wheated bourbon, and I'll certainly enjoy the rest of this bottle, but for me and my taste buds, the Weller 12 is still the reigning champ when it comes to bargain wheaters. (Larceny is solidly in second though, ahead of Makers, Makers 46, OWA, and Weller SR)
Señor Chang
AG
Gabriel's Liquor are such tools. I wonder how much Garrison had to pay them to put this up.

FlyFish95
If it was just as good it would be sold out too.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
Gabriel's Liquor are such tools. I wonder how much Garrison had to pay them to put this up.

SMDH.
Quantum ace
AG
Weller 12 is good, but I have found more than a few bottles with a bitter, sooty flavor. When its good, its good, but the inconsistency prevents it from being a regular pour.

Larceny lack a little maturity compared to the Weller 12, but I find it very well rounded and an overall tasty pour. I think they are doing a stellar job with the barrel selection and blending.
FlyFish95
Quantam,

Spot on re: the Weller 12. The recent bottle I got isn't nearly as good as what I've had in the past.
austinag1997
AG
Has anyone sampled the Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary bourbon? We'll go ahead and start the WTDA acronym!
Quantum ace
AG
I purchased a bottle of Weller 12 from Goody Goody a couple months ago, and it was one of the better bottles I have had. They have a consistency issue, but they are still bottled some pretty tasty juice. I just don't like playing roulette every time I want a bottle.
FlyFish95
The bottle I got is very thin.
joshwayne330
I finally broke down and bought a bottle of what I consider "current" W12, timeframe 2010-present. I had to knock a little dust off this handle. First pour was thin and alcohol notes were present. I stuffed it in the back of the cabinet for close to 4 weeks and gave it a whirl last night. It improved on all aspects and I still stand behind it being a value pour. Then I reached for pours of WSR '02 and OWA '03 and shed a tear...
SRBS
Judged the Jim Beam BBQ classic a couple weeks ago in Springfield ky. Beam sucks but at the Friday reception any Beam product is free so I alternated between Knob Creek and Basil Hayden.
Anyway I picked up a bottle of Willet Pot Still Reserve while down there and found it quite good. (4 Roses single barrel is my normal choice) the Willet was a pleasant diversion. Neat bottle too
dmart90
AG
I picked up a bottle of Willet Pot Still Reserve this past weekend. Not bad, quite smooth. And yes, it is a cool bottle.
proudaggie02
AG
Today was a good day! I got 2 bottles of 2014 OFBB. There's a chance I'll be able to buy a 3rd bottle tomorrow, and if I'm able to, I'll consider trading one if anyone is interested.
Señor Chang
AG
Proudaggie02, I have an extra bottle of Barterhouse 20 if you'd be interested in that.
proudaggie02
AG
^
I'm going to try Barterhouse and several other high-end bourbons at a restaurant on Friday, and I'll let you know if I am interested. I appreciate the offer.

I'd definitely be interested in BTAC or Four Roses LE.
First Page Last Page
Page 86 of 1107

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.