Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,753,011 Views | 37590 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by betadawg1
GregZeppelin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I tried larceny when it first came out and while I didn't dislike it, I also didn't think it could hold a candle to Weller 12 in quality or value. It seemed more similar to Makers than Weller from what I recall.

But based on the feedback I keep seeing on here, I may need to give it another try.
FlyFish95
I definitely think it's better than Weller 12.
GregZeppelin
AG
I wonder if maybe blend has changed since I had it. Like I said I had it one time when it was a brand new product, like within the first few weeks it was out. Maybe the Larceny on shelves today is a little different than it was when I had it.
Atty_Ag
I have both Larceny and Weller 12 sitting here on my shelf. I just poured myself a side by side. My palate would rather reach for the Weller 12 than the Larceny, but it's just a personal preference. It's not like I hate it since I've purchased three bottles of Larceny the past year. Be free, drink what you like.
AggieChemist
AG
Polished off the bottle of SAOS ten I was working on last night. What should I open next for everyday? Aside from my pappy 20 and GTS, I have Old weller reserve, old weller antique 107, very old Barton, stagg jr, eagle rare, 1792, and a bottle of BT.
tx4guns
AG
Mix your OWA 60% with Weller 12 40%, and vat for about 3 weeks.
0708aggie
AG
Just an FYI. I've been in contact with an employee at BT who said that both eagle rare 17 and GTS Antique left the distillery two weeks ago and that they should be in stores wherever you are now or soon.
tx4guns
AG
They're not. TABC hasn't released them yet. They're in bourbon jail.
FlyFish95
Love me some ER 17
0708aggie
AG
None here in Dallas. If you find it let me know.
AggieChemist
AG
Sad aggie is drinking eagle rare.
the dude10
AG
At a wedding, but this sad Aggie also planned and brought a bottle of eagle rare and is going to check on it in his truck every 30 mins
tx4guns
AG
This sad aggie is about to finish off his Hillrock and Stagg.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
This sad aggie is drinking 2009 Four Roses Marriage
GregZeppelin
AG
This sad Aggie is drinking Bookers.
tx4guns
AG
Finished the Stagg and Hillrock. Opened the Makers CS. It's very, very good. Nothing like standard Makers.
joshwayne330
Why is everybody sad, sounds like y'all are drinking good whiskey....
Ducks4brkfast
AG
What were you drinking josh Wayne?
joshwayne330
Miller Lite followed by a Peju '08 Cabernet Reserve
FriedTex
AG
Miller Lite, FML.....
joshwayne330
quote:
Miller Lite, FML.....

Bad experience with Miller Lite?
Whoop04
quote:
quote:
Miller Lite, FML.....

Bad experience with Miller Lite?

Is it possible to have a good experience with Miller lite? Or any lite beer?
joshwayne330
Actually, Miller Lite makes great memories. Cheap whiskey, that's another story. I guess y'all are more of the "crafty beer" thread dudes.
htxag09
AG
quote:
Actually, Miller Lite makes great memories. Cheap whiskey, that's another story. I guess y'all are more of the "crafty beer" thread dudes.

Ahhh, chillifest......
FlyFish95
Keystone Light = college for me.
Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Anyone going by KBD/Willett anytime soon?

Am interested in a 21/140 they may have in the gift shop.

Anyone been by there recently?
austinag1997
AG
quote:
Anyone going by KBD/Willett anytime soon?

Am interested in a 21/140 they may have in the gift shop.

Anyone been by there recently?
Please add me to the list... I will place an order and pay in advance.
joshwayne330
Hot Wheater there
Whoop04
Anyone seen this is stores or tried it yet?

quote:
For its newest US*1 expression Toasted Barrel Finish Bourbon, Michter's has accomplished something quite novel through its particular use of two different barrels to age the bourbon. For this one-time release, Michter's barrel ages its US*1 Bourbon as usual to full maturation and then transfers it for an additional period of time to a special custom made barrel for finishing. Constructed from wood staves that have been cured by 18 months of air-drying, this unique finishing barrel is toasted for a precise amount of time, but never charred like a typical bourbon barrel.

According to Michter's President Joe Magliocco, it is not a coincidence that Michter's limited release US*1 Toasted Barrel Bourbon is bottled at 91.4 proof ( 45.7% alcohol by volume), the exact same proof as Michter's on-going US*1 Bourbon offering. "We wanted our loyal Michter's customers to be able to sit down, taste each of the two US*1 Bourbon offerings at the same time, and enjoy the difference between the two."

Michter's US*1 Toasted Barrel Bourbon is offered at a suggested retail price of $48 per 750 ml bottle.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/michters-releases-limited-bottles-of-us1-toasted-barrel-finish-bourbon-275280741.html
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
Hot Wheater there
right up your alley!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:

quote:
For its newest US*1 expression Toasted Barrel Finish Bourbon, Michter's has accomplished something quite novel through its particular use of two different barrels to age the bourbon. For this one-time release, Michter's barrel ages its US*1 Bourbon as usual to full maturation and then transfers it for an additional period of time to a special custom made barrel for finishing. Constructed from wood staves that have been cured by 18 months of air-drying, this unique finishing barrel is toasted for a precise amount of time, but never charred like a typical bourbon barrel.

According to Michter's President Joe Magliocco, it is not a coincidence that Michter's limited release US*1 Toasted Barrel Bourbon is bottled at 91.4 proof ( 45.7% alcohol by volume), the exact same proof as Michter's on-going US*1 Bourbon offering. "We wanted our loyal Michter's customers to be able to sit down, taste each of the two US*1 Bourbon offerings at the same time, and enjoy the difference between the two."

Michter's US*1 Toasted Barrel Bourbon is offered at a suggested retail price of $48 per 750 ml bottle.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/michters-releases-limited-bottles-of-us1-toasted-barrel-finish-bourbon-275280741.html

I don't really see the point in doing this.

Also, don't think it's a straight whiskey, and thus is open to having some type of after flavor added.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:

Also, don't think it's a straight whiskey, and thus is open to having some type of after flavor added.

First, I don't think Michter's really screws around with added flavoring. The lack of "straight" on the label would technically allow for added flavorings, but I do not think its a big risk in this specific release.

The point of any re-barreling or "finishing" is to enhance the flavor in some way. I do not have extensive aging experience, but an unused "toasted" barrel could have a huge impact on flavor. You are going to get different flavors out of "toasted" vs charred wood, and you are going to get a ton of it if the barrel is fresh.

I have no idea if it will actually taste good or not, but it is definitely an interesting idea.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

Its no different that what Angel's Envy does or Maker's 46 or Woodford Double Oaked or any of a dozen other labels do. Am I missing something here?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Its no different that what Angel's Envy does or Maker's 46 or Woodford Double Oaked or any of a dozen other labels do. Am I missing something here?
Nope, you're exactly right. My point is it's hard for me to get excited about finished bourbons.

Angels Envy tastes great. However at what point does a bourbon, cease to be a bourbon?

Put a bourbon mash in a new charred oak barrel for a decade or so and let's see how good it is. If it's good, I'll buy it. If it's great, I'll pay a premium for it. Personally, i just don't get too excited about experiments outside normally accepted bourbon distilling methods.

What is weird is that I do like bourbon barrel finished beers. So that's a bit contradictory, I suppose.
First Page Last Page
Page 85 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.