Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,873,576 Views | 38764 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by TexAgs1992
tx4guns
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Opened a couple gems tonight. Old Fitzgerald from 1983 and a Texas Sesquicentennial Weller decanter bottle from 1986. Both Stitzel-Weller distillery products. I'm in heaven.

txaggie05
AG
Sweet, tx4guns.

Yeah..well I'm drinking Evan Williams White Label BiB
Atty_Ag
Love the decanter. Where'd you get that?
tx4guns
AG
Traded it with a friend.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:

No shame there. Evan Williams White is hands down the best bargain bourbon on the planet. IMHO anyway.
txaggie05
AG
quote:

quote:

No shame there. Evan Williams White is hands down the best bargain bourbon on the planet. IMHO anyway.

True that. It's a great mixer. Just recently caught wind of it.
the dude10
AG
I have 3 glasses poured and in sipping rotation right now. Evan Williams single barrel, Elijah Craig 12, and michters small batch.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:

It is almost the same product, but I prefer the Heaven Hill 6 yr Bottled in Bond. I only brought back one bottle from Kentucky, which I am now regretting.
Bunk Moreland
Buffalo Trace and a Rocky Patel tonight. Nothing fancy, but Can't complain.
joshwayne330
quote:
quote:

It is almost the same product, but I prefer the Heaven Hill 6 yr Bottled in Bond. I only brought back one bottle from Kentucky, which I am now regretting.

HH BIB is available at a few retailers in Houston. Seen it a few times.
FlyFish95
The guy from sour mash manifesto speaks very highly of Evan Williams White Label.
AggieChemist
AG
Why is this thread not on my watch list anymore?

On topic, last night I had the ten year old SA old scout neat, while I built some custom arrows.
the dude10
AG
Went to fast eddies last night and the only mid level bourbon they had was knob creek. I have tried it several times but decided I would again. For some reason there is just nothing special about it to me. Not there is necessarily anything wrong with it, I just can never see myself choosing it over almost any other bourbon at the same price point. Anyone else feel the same or am I missing something here.
Whoop04
quote:
Why is this thread not on my watch list anymore?

It fell off of mine too.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
On topic, last night I had the ten year old SA old scout neat, while I built some custom arrows.

What do you think of it Chemist? My wife brought me a bottle back from Kentucky last week, haven't seen it in stores here in Texas yet. I've had one glass of it, and honestly couldn't decide how I felt about it. It wasn't bad, but it certainly didn't taste like a 10yo bourbon to me, or even a high rye, which it apparently is.

She also brought me a bottle of the 8 year, barrel proof, single barrel. But I haven't cracked that one open yet.
tx4guns
AG
That 8yr barrel proof will blow away the 10yr 100 proof. Not even close. Crack that puppy!
bonfiresmoke
The recent batches of Wild Turkey Rare Breed have gone up to 112 proof. I bought one, but have not opened it.
K Bo
AG
I finally stuck something in my 2 liter barrel last night. I couldn't decide on what bourbon or cocktail to age so I settled on something I thought would provide the most drastic maturing experience and went with an unaged whiskey - Rio Brrazos Whistletop out of CS. It might have been a great decision or it might have been a terrible one. Either way, I'm excited to see the changes over the coming months.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
That 8yr barrel proof will blow away the 10yr 100 proof. Not even close. Crack that puppy!

You weren't kidding. The 8 year is light years better than the 10.
tx4guns
AG
You should try the Kenwood 10 year barrel proof!
FriedTex
AG
best bottle for 60-75 bucks is _____________________ - GO!
tx4guns
AG
ORVW 10
Mathguy64
AG
GTS, THH
FlyFish95
I'd go with ORVW 10 or WLW.
joshwayne330
WLW (not '13 though)
FlyFish95
The best $60 - $75 bottles are usually seasonal releases. Why not just as what's the best, readily available $25 - $45 bottle. If that's the questions I'll volunteer the following:

Eagle Rare 10 yr
Elijah Craig 12 yr
Larceny
Four Roses SB
Old Scout Smooth Ambler
FriedTex
AG
I have had most of the 50 and under variety, but was looking to expand my horizons.

Can I get a translation on the abbreviations

GTS
THH
WLW
ORVW
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
Can I get a translation on the abbreviations

GTS
THH
WLW
ORVW

GTS = George T Stagg
THH = Thomas H Handy
WLW = William Larue Weller
ORVW = Old Rip Van Winkle

The first three are part of the once a year Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. The last is one of several unicorns.
FlyFish95
You're not going to find many $60 - $75 readily available bottles. That price range on bourbon is usually for seasonal or special releases unless you're buying in the often over-priced secondary market.

There's always Garrison Brothers but its not what you're paying for it. If you're into scotch as want to pay $60 - $75 I can make some good recs there.
FriedTex
AG
So Colonel Taylor's Single Barrel wouldn't be worth it?
tx4guns
AG
It's pretty solid. The Barrel Proof Col. Taylor is better.
'03ag
Dryfly

I'd be interested in some Scotch recs. not too heavy on peat. I have some balvenie 17 he prayed cask. I like it a lot but that's about my limit on peat.
AggieBQ03
AG
Seasons almost here so finally cracked open my Parker's Heritage I've been saving. Good stuff!
Slicer97
AG
quote:
The best $60 - $75 bottles are usually seasonal releases. Why not just as what's the best, readily available $25 - $45 bottle. If that's the questions I'll volunteer the following:

Eagle Rare 10 yr
Elijah Craig 12 yr
Larceny
Four Roses SB
Old Scout Smooth Ambler

Agree with the EC12, but think Evan Williams SB is better than the ER10 and Larceny

[This message has been edited by Slicer97 (edited 8/27/2014 12:57p).]
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Dryfly

I'd be interested in some Scotch recs. not too heavy on peat. I have some balvenie 17 he prayed cask. I like it a lot but that's about my limit on peat.

Get this outta here!
First Page Last Page
Page 79 of 1108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.