Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,859,728 Views | 38612 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by suburban cowboy
FriedTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Everyone on here brings something to the table, so let's skip the fighting, because for God's sake we're all bourbon drinkers. That's GOT to count for something.
means we are better than the beer guys, but not as uppity as the scotch guys.
steve00
AG
I see Hirsch 21 for $550 and 25 for $600. Reviews are kind of mixed though. I'd need to research more before considering it. None of my usual stores seem to have the Vintage.
AggieChemist
AG
I like scotch, too.
Whoop04
I like all 3. Sorry liver.
joshwayne330
If you want another Rye option seek out a Willett 24/94 or 24/110.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
I like all 3. Sorry liver.

Same here.
schmellba99
AG
Scotch
AggieChemist
AG
Spoke with the little lady at my local shop who has been known to hook me up from time to time (read: PAPPY) and she ordered me a case of the 2014 4 Roses Limited Edition today.

I shall post again when I get it.
AggieChemist
AG
Also, tx4guns, I saw Old Scout 10 year old Rye for the first time today. Didn't scoop one up, but thought about it. $44 and they had several in stock.
FlyFish95
Old Scout is good stuff. It's a high rye recipe like Four Roses.
proudaggie02
AG
I found an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof last week, and I'm getting an Old Forester Birthday Bourbon (2013) later this week. I already had one of each at home: ECBP is open (one of the best bourbons I've had this year) & haven't opened OFBB but I know it received high marks.

What are everyone's thoughts on the Four Roses Single Barrel-Barrel Strength offerings:

-OBSO: I have an open bottle at home, but can't recall my thoughts on this one very well. I seem to think it had the traditional Four Roses rye spiciness but didn't finish as smooth as I'd like.
-OESK: Going to pick up a bottle, as I think I'll really like this one. I like all types of bourbon, but I tend to enjoy the lower rye varieties. I enjoy light fruits (banana, peach, apple), dark fruits (cherries, berries), caramel, and toffee over smoke, mint, and dark spices.
-OESQ: My local place has this, and I'm thinking I will like it.

[This message has been edited by proudaggie02 (edited 7/29/2014 2:59p).]
joshwayne330
The FR Private Selections are a steal for $55. That being said, every barrel is different regardless of the recipe so if you trust the person/group making the selection there is no risk. I haven't had a bad bottle yet...
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
What are everyone's thoughts on the Four Roses Single Barrel-Barrel Strength offerings:

I absolutely love them. I would still pay $55 for the worst one I've tried.

Josh is right about the recipe; It gives you a general idea of what the barrel could taste like, but you can have a pretty wide variation from barrel to barrel. When I tried samples from all 10 recipes that were of similar age, the OBSO was my favorite and the OESK was near the bottom. Outside of that tasting, OESK has been one of my favorites. Most of the participants liked the OESK from our tasting, including the distiller, but that particular barrel just didn't impress me. That said, I would still have paid $55 for it.
schmellba99
AG
Has anybody seen or sampled the Heaven Hill Select Stock? I am curious to give it a shot, rumor has it that it is a very good pour.
joshwayne330
Yes, HHSS is bad A$$. Wish I had a bottle of my own. Had 2 pours from a couple of generous friends.
Quantum ace
AG
Not a lot of it out there, but it is very good stuff.
tx4guns
AG
I prefer OBSV & OESF.
FriedTex
AG
Sipping on OESF tonight, prefer OESV though
FriedTex
AG
This thread isn't worthy of page 2
joshwayne330
Then someone needs to say something questionable so I can chime in...
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Then someone needs to say something questionable so I can chime in...
Jack Daniels is better than Four Roses Single Barrel

Merry Christmas!
AggieBQ03
AG
I certainly done mind Eagle Rare 10 or that 1835 for something cheaper.
Atty_Ag
Here, you can chime in on this:
Your ‘Craft’ Rye Whiskey Is Probably From a Factory Distillery in Indiana
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/28/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana.html

[This message has been edited by Atty_Ag (edited 8/6/2014 4:53p).]
joshwayne330
Couldn't open the link, but I am pretty sure I know what this article is about. Yes, it's comical. I avoid "bottlers" if possible (few exceptions).
Atty_Ag
Fixed the link.
Atty_Ag
Garrison got some press in Forbes.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/abrambrown/2014/08/10/the-proof-that-bourbon-doesnt-just-come-from-kentucky/
Third Coast Horn
GB sucks though. I hate the **** out of it.
Atty_Ag
If anyone has ever wanted to bottle Garrison and learn about the process, this is a pretty good chance. They need a whole lot of volunteers this time around.

quote:
Invitation for Fall 2014 Volunteers
Friends, Texans, Countrymen, Bourbon Drinkers. Hope you all are enjoying a great summer!

Back at the ranch, it’s time to bottle our Fall 2014 release and close friends get first dibs on selecting days you might want to come help.

We’ll start bottling the Fall 2014 Vintage of Garrison Brothers Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey next month. If we don’t drink it all while we’re bottling it, these barrels should yield almost 8,000 cases. This will not be easy since this is the oldest, best tasting bourbon we have ever released. No, I’m not kidding. We will need approximately 525 volunteers to join us on the redneck maquiladora. This means about 30 people per day between now and Thanksgiving. The schedule will fill up very quickly because there are now a few thousand people on the waiting list.

We ask everyone to commit to 2 days of bottling. The first day is usually packed with trial and error and the second is fun and easy. The two days do not need to be consecutive.
The dates are as follows:
Week One: Wednesday – Sunday, September 17th - 21st (9am to 4pm)
Week Two: Wednesday – Sunday, September 24th - 28th (9am to 4pm)
Week Three: Wednesday – Sunday, October 22nd - 26th (9am to 4pm)
Week Four: Wednesday – Sunday, October 29th - November 2nd (9am to 4pm)
Week Five: Wednesday – Sunday, November 5th - 9th (9am to 4pm)
Week Six: Wednesday – Sunday, November 12th - 16th (9am to 4pm)
Week Seven: Wednesday – Sunday, November 19th - 23rd (9am to 4pm)

We think we’ve got all the kinks out of the registration system now, but please let us know if you see any problems. If you want to get in on this insanity, please click on this link and start picking your days. Remember, you MUST select 2 days, but NOT MORE than 2 days. We’ll also need you to provide the first and last names of everyone in your bottling party and their t-shirt sizes.

Again, I can’t tell you how important it is to make a reservation as soon as possible! The last time we did this, all 250 spots disappeared in about 3 hours. This will fill up fast and reservations are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. If you don’t make it this time we promise to keep your contact information and invite you out for the next round in 2015.

All of us at Garrison Brothers truly appreciate your support! Book now.

Thank you,

Laurel Hoekstra
Bottling Manager
Garrison Brothers Distillery
210-667-7718

https://www-150b.bookeo.com/bookeo/b_gb-volunteer_start.html

Last I checked, there were a lot of available slots.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
GB sucks though. I hate the **** out of it.

LOL.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Hey guys!

I run a business and am looking for volunteers to come work for me for a couple days each.

To volunteer, PM or reply to this thread!

TIA!
FriedTex
AG
well if it works, its genius
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Just bought some Four Roses Single Barrel. Not bad. Not Blanton's.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
^I actually like it better than Blanton's. A lot better than Blanton's.
the dude10
AG
I prefer the small batch actually but both of them are right at the top of my favorites list.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
I prefer the small batch actually but both of them are right at the top of my favorites list.

I also prefer the SmB over the single barrel. That and ER at around $25 are amazing pours.
First Page Last Page
Page 78 of 1104

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.