Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,862,071 Views | 38643 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by BrokeAssAggie
AGBrewer512
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MarathonAg12 said:

I love the banana caramel flavor from the JD BP. Goes down great for 130.5 proof. Shockingly, it's one of my more favorite whiskies. Rye has a little spice to it , as expected, but a clean heat.

Overall, I would recommend the JD.

What's your email?
MarathonAg12
No **** there I was, parked at my HEB. Little further from my house, but I like the area better. Before getting my groceries, I decided to stop at TL. Priorities. I was able to get a bottle of ER last Thursday before all hell broke loose. I figured, maybe they still have some in stock because of the ice storm. Turns out, today was the first day they were open and I ended up getting the last bottle of ER. When I saw the cashier get the ladder to pull it off the top of the shelf, I was glad to have made that pit stop. Old man next to me said "what is that?" because the cashiers were talking it up. I told em "it's just really good Kentucky bourbon sir".

And that's exactly what we're going to do to them Ags!!!
MarathonAg12
AGBrewer512 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

I love the banana caramel flavor from the JD BP. Goes down great for 130.5 proof. Shockingly, it's one of my more favorite whiskies. Rye has a little spice to it , as expected, but a clean heat.

What's your email?

morales dot santiago89 at gmail
6.5 Swede
New selection recommended by my son who's tried over 380 Whiskeys at work.. Which one should I try first and finish with?
Except the Scotch. Already had that and it's fantastic!
6.5 Swede
They also had these available, but I passed for now...
AGBrewer512
MarathonAg12 said:

AGBrewer512 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

What's your email?

morales dot santiago89 at gmail

sent you a message.
Ornithopter
AG
Go back and pick up the Small Batch Select!
CTGilley
AG
AGBrewer512 said:

CTGilley said:

I like both. JDSBBP is much harder to find for me. WT RB is always in my house.

JDSBBP is typically available at either TL or Specs in CP or RR. At least that is what I have seen. If I see another one, I can give you a heads up on location if you would like.
That would be great. I have never seen the BP in TL. RR is right down the road. I am normally not looking for it though. I picked up the OLC store pick and it really surprised me.

Good enough I will pick up a back up and maybe the regular SB if I am out. I picked up the Eric Church to trade but but now I think I will open it.
CTGilley
AG
What did you think of the Larceny BP?
MarathonAg12
CTGilley said:

AGBrewer512 said:

CTGilley said:

JDSBBP is typically available at either TL or Specs in CP or RR. At least that is what I have seen. If I see another one, I can give you a heads up on location if you would like.
That would be great. I have never seen the BP in TL. RR is right down the road. I am normally not looking for it though. I picked up the OLC store pick and it really surprised me.

Good enough I will pick up a back up and maybe the regular SB if I am out. I picked up the Eric Church to trade but but now I think I will open it.

If I end up meeting with AgBrewer, I can pick up another bottle of JD SBBP on my way and we can all meet up. I'd be up for a trade of something that's not in my region. Not looking to make money just transfer hard to find bourbons to each other.
proc
AG
6.5 Swede said:

New selection recommended by my son who's tried over 380 Whiskeys at work.. Which one should I try first and finish with?

The WR double oak. Great bottle.
mazag08
AG
979ag said:

Not sure who all has tried this, but I picked this Knob Creek Quarter Oak up from a random liquor store in Lewisville last week purely out of curiosity.

It might be my favorite bottle I've every purchased. For $40, it would be a regular grab during any bourbon run. Sadly, since it's a limited release, I can't find it anywhere. And it was the only bottle at the store haha.

Over the years I've become a huge KC fan. Their 9 year single barrel is easily one of the best bargains in bourbon. It's barely a couple hairs short of Booker's in flavor and proof for half the cost and way less headache.
Pac1698
AG
That's what the wife and I are drinking right now (KC9). We are fairly new to bourbon, but have really enjoyed it.
tlfw378
AG
6.5 Swede said:

Two questions:

1. Do you like Bourbon?
2. Does your son like you?
AGBrewer512
CTGilley said:

What did you think of the Larceny BP?

I really do appreciate you giving me the heads up on where to find a bottle of that. Pretty cool of you to do that.

To be honest, it's a bit rough on the alcohol burn and too corn dusty for me. It has a smell that reminds me of what it smells like when it is about to rain (not sure if anyone else knows that smell). Not really sweet or caramel or anything like that on my palate. Also has a slight medicinal cough syrup thing going on (minus the sweet flavor). Of course, that is all just my personal opinion and really doesn't mean much. I've drank about 1/4 of the bottle so far.

To make it even more interesting, I was able to get another bottle of it as a backup not but 2 days after you gave me the info on the first bottle (absolute miracle right?). I'm not sure that I'm going to hold on to it though. Might just end up trading it for something else.

AGBrewer512
MarathonAg12 said:

CTGilley said:

AGBrewer512 said:

CTGilley said:

If I end up meeting with AgBrewer, I can pick up another bottle of JD SBBP on my way and we can all meet up. I'd be up for a trade of something that's not in my region. Not looking to make money just transfer hard to find bourbons to each other.

If Gilley can't meet up, i'll bring it back for him if he wants me too. That's the least that I can do for him after he hooked me up with a Larceny BP.
Sazerac
AG
I brought the neighbors over for survived the freeze cocktails tonight.

Rare Breed Rye Sazeracs
Plymouth Gin Aviations

Had a buddy take a sip of ECBP and he said it was tasty but must be high proof....

CTGilley
AG
So I get the same middle finish funk as ECBP that I like but the start is very short and not complex. I am happy I got one and may pick up another at $50 but I don't think I would pay more. I only had a couple ounces. I am waiting to drink it with a buddy.

I am a HH fan but not a wheater fan. I thought the BP would be different.

Thoughts on the TL OPBP?
AGBrewer512
CTGilley said:

So I get the same middle finish funk as ECBP that I like but the start is very short and not complex. I am happy I got one and may pick up another at $50 but I don't think I would pay more. I only had a couple ounces. I am waiting to drink it with a buddy.

Thoughts on the TL OPBP?

It's a long post, so everyone can feel free to skip it if you have the attention span of a ferret after 5 espresso shots.

That's interesting about the middle palate. The ECBP gives me a heavy dose of Oak in the mid palate, almost like a toasted barrel without the harsh tannins (in a good way). I really do like the ECBP C920 (that's the only one I've had).

I like the BT wheat products, but struggle with other wheaters. Not sure why, but larceny, makers mark, and another one (can't remember the name right now) all fell flat for me.

I do like HH products in general. HH 7 yr BIB, Evan Williams BIB, ECBP, and Henry Mckenna 10 year are all very good bourbons at their price points. But you are on point with the Larceny BP, it's pretty flat IMO. Of course, this is just a single batch. I'll probably try the B521 and C921 if I can find them later this year.

I'm assuming you meant to type OFBP (Old Foresters Barrel Proof). If so, I actually like the TL pick better than the Spec's pick. They were both very hot though. The TL pick seemed to have a little something extra in the flavor. Similar to a fresh fruit with stick candy and a tangy note. Only thing is that the flavors are not rounded very well. It's definitely got some hard spikes to the edges. Mouth feel is just below medium IMO. All in all, a very good option at $40. If they are charging the regular $90, it's a hard pass for me all day long.

6.5 Swede
tlfw378 said:

6.5 Swede said:

Two questions:

1. Do you like Bourbon?
2. Does your son like you?

1. Ok, so I really only drink Scotch's and he keeps getting on me to try Bourbons. Alright, fine let's buy an assortment to celebrate surviving "The Great Chill" and I really want to try an old fashioned.
The Blade and Bow is for mixing. Dickel is a smooth every day drink for less and compares to other higher priced fares. The BH Dark Rye is one of the best Ryes. He hasn't tried the WR Double Oakes and Ya'll gave it great reviews so that made the list. And finally Treaty Oak is the closest we could get to a Blantons.

2. Sometimes I wonder if he does...

3. The old fashioned was excellent, especially using a heavy oiled blood orange.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Dark rye is a bottled cocktail masquerading as a rye.
MarathonAg12
CTGilley said:

Thoughts on the TL OPBP?

Let me know if you want a bottle of Jack Daniels SB BP? I'm meeting up with AgBrewer in a few days. I believe I can get it for $54. I'll double check today.
tlfw378
AG
If I was interested in introducing you to bourbon so you may find something you may enjoy.... I'd be having you try good bourbons well established as good introduction bourbons. Makers, Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace, Old Forester, Wild Turkey 101, Woodford Reserve, etc. Perhaps you find a few you like. Go from there. It doesn't mater what I like, or for that matter anyone else likes, but it helps to increase the odds with universally recognized good bourbon. I do like Blade and Bow and have several bottles, I also like Woodford...but outside of those, those other picks would not be in my top 20 to start a new bourbon drinker. IMHO.
6.5 Swede
What you listed represent the major names and are the standard. All of those are hotly debated as to which are the best. Since he's tried Blantons and Staggs next to the others I trust his judgment. He's put me on some excellent Scotch's that I would never had tasted.
Have you tried the Treaty Oak?
6.5 Swede
CharlieBrown17 said:

Dark rye is a bottled cocktail masquerading as a rye.

That actually was the only one that I won't buy again.

He gave me a selection and asked me to pick one of the ryes. Since I drink neat I chose that one.
Aggie Hunter
AG
Anyone had it and if so how you grade it?
proc
AG
Aggie Hunter said:

Anyone had it and if so how you grade it?

It's pretty good. Wouldn't hoard it, but worth having and sharing once.
RenoAg
Been a long while since I've had this but if I recall correctly it seemed like a really salty caramel bourbon. It was good. Nothing special in my opinion. Would've said it was a bit overpriced but not ridiculous. But maybe it'll hit your palate just right for what you like.
Aggie Hunter
AG
Thank you sir!!!! I noticed multiple bottles of Jefferson's....Any better than the other?
MarathonAg12
Aggie Hunter said:

Thank you sir!!!! I noticed multiple bottles of Jefferson's....Any better than the other?

I picked up a bottle of Jefferson's Twin Oak Very Old Very Rare. Haven't seen it back on the shelves at specs in a while.
CTGilley
AG
That sounds like a deal. Thanks.
CTGilley
AG
22 wheat was great
Naveronski
AG
Aggie Hunter said:

I was told of one that's bourbon + rye that's good, and another that's bourbon in port barrels.
CTGilley
AG
One in Cabernet barrel is really good also.
Aggie Hunter
AG
The story behind it is very interesting. The most traveled bourbon on the planet.
First Page Last Page
Page 592 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.