Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,871,561 Views | 38734 Replies | Last: 54 sec ago by dsvogel05
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think Belle Meade alone is reason enough to not hate on MGP. I've got all kinds of time for a label that says it's distilled in Indiana, comes in at 100 proof or higher, and isn't chill filtered.
William Larue Weller
AG
proc said:

Trump 2020 said:

proc said:

Help me understand the undercurrent of dislike for MGP brands here.

I love MGP brands. The more I get into bourbon, the more I'm liking MGP and the less I'm liking Buffalo Trace/Sazerac.
Maybe I'm just misreading some posts, I just stumbled onto this thread a few weeks ago.

But Joseph Magnus, George Remus, Old Scout, Barrell, and Mayor Pingree are all really good bourbons to me.I have yet to try OKI or Pinhook, but people are raving about those two lately. MGP is just the source for the white dog.

Yeah I think most people who haven't branched out just have an instinctive aversion to whiskey distilled outside Kentucky. I agree, though, there are a lot of great MGP brands. My favorites are Smoke Wagon and the Nulu and Starlight ryes.
AGBrewer512
proc said:

You are right, there are folks (myself included when i started on my bourbon journey) that look down upon it. It was only after I had an epiphany that I let go of my disdain for MGP. I think it spurs from the company selling the bottle is essentially hiding something in plain sight. People in general don't like it when they feel like someone is trying to pull a fast one. Some companies (e.g. Bardstown Discovery and Fusion Series) are fairly transparent about it and thus customers are more willing to purchase.

To be honest, the way I finally overcame it was actually pretty simple:

If it is good whisky, then drink it.

I still like to research who made it to see if it is one of my favorite distillers or if there is another distiller that I'm starting to like so that I can be on the watch for other products that they might be releasing. But I no longer worry about whether it is an MGP or "Sourced" product. I just don't think it matters anymore. Either you know how to select good juice to put in the bottle or you don't, regardless of where the juice came from.
CTGilley
AG
proc said:

Trump 2020 said:

proc said:

I love MGP brands. The more I get into bourbon, the more I'm liking MGP and the less I'm liking Buffalo Trace/Sazerac.
Maybe I'm just misreading some posts, I just stumbled onto this thread a few weeks ago.

But Joseph Magnus, George Remus, Old Scout, Barrell, and Mayor Pingree are all really good bourbons to me.I have yet to try OKI or Pinhook, but people are raving about those two lately. MGP is just the source for the white dog.
MGP Brands are also some of my favorites. I think a lot of people dont like when a brand does not "make their own whiskey" or all "MGP taste the same"
CharlieBrown17
AG
There's a lot of reasons to like MGP but unfortunately a lot of them also aren't on shelves anymore.

There's still really good MGP out there, especially rye, but nothing like the 10-12 year MGP stock that used to be available from SAOS and Belle Meade to name 2.

There's also some real **** MGP on the market as well, they distill a **** ton of liquor every year so of course some of it won't be a winner.
andrewch783
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Speaking of Basil Hayden.....Let's talk Old Grand-Dad.

Big 3 is Old Grand-Dad, Old Grand-Dad Bonded and Old Grand-Dad 114.

My friend said that 114 is his every day sipper, I haven't tried it yet but will take his word on it being good enough for his palette.

I've had their Bonded and it was very smooth butterscotch flavor, with a little heat from the rye Mash Bill. Great affordable bourbon and can be picked up pretty easily.

Anyone have similar or different opinions on this line?
I've got a bottle of OGD114 - I like it. Will probably replace when it's empty. It's not gonna blow you away, but it's pretty good and a really great value. It's a peanut bomb in my opinion so if you don't like the beam funk it's probably not gonna be for you. But it's solid neat and makes a nice old fashioned - the high proof helps it hold up well to the ice and other flavors. Could definitely see it as an everyday sipper for sure.
John Francis Donaghy
andrewch783 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Speaking of Basil Hayden.....Let's talk Old Grand-Dad.

Big 3 is Old Grand-Dad, Old Grand-Dad Bonded and Old Grand-Dad 114.

My friend said that 114 is his every day sipper, I haven't tried it yet but will take his word on it being good enough for his palette.

I've had their Bonded and it was very smooth butterscotch flavor, with a little heat from the rye Mash Bill. Great affordable bourbon and can be picked up pretty easily.

Anyone have similar or different opinions on this line?
I've got a bottle of OGD114 - I like it. Will probably replace when it's empty. It's not gonna blow you away, but it's pretty good and a really great value. It's a peanut bomb in my opinion so if you don't like the beam funk it's probably not gonna be for you. But it's solid neat and makes a nice old fashioned - the high proof helps it hold up well to the ice and other flavors. Could definitely see it as an everyday sipper for sure.

Very good for Old Fashioneds, but flat out unbeatable for bourbon Manhattans.
TThom
What everyone's thoughts on the High West stuff? Not the MWND but the American Prairie Bourbon, Rendezvous and Double Rye? Just seeing if worth giving a try. My personal favorites are EHT SmB, ER, Bellemeade and everyday favorite is OF1920 for reference
CharlieBrown17
AG
TThom said:

What everyone's thoughts on the High West stuff? Not the MWND but the American Prairie Bourbon, Rendezvous and Double Rye? Just seeing if worth giving a try. My personal favorites are EHT SmB, ER, Bellemeade and everyday favorite is OF1920 for reference

Double rye is a great cocktail bottle. Decent on its own as well. Rendezvous is good but I like Pikesville for the price better I think. The bourbon is meh.

The double rye and rendezvous store picks with finishes are pretty good
MarathonAg12

Anyone try this yet?
MW03
AG
TThom said:

I like the double rye quite a bit. Never had the prairie though.
SweaterVest
AG
92% ABV?!

Is it everclear with food coloring?
Wheatables02
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Anyone try this yet?
Ha. I see what you did there.
07fta07
AG
The America Prairie isn't anything special - pretty bland and boring. The private finished barrels are another story though. I have one finished in PX Sherry casks and it's really good.
Bourbon Junkie
MarathonAg12 said:

https://www.distillerytrail.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Republic-Restoratives-Distillery-MADAM-Vice-President-Whiskey-Bottle-Front-and-Back.jpg
Anyone try this yet?

Willie Brown did
Sazerac
AG
This proof head had a good day

Stagg Jr - traded my EHT Rye
ECBP - friend purchased at TW for me last month
4RBS x 2 - Store pick locally at 2 locations!
KC120 - buy when I see
RB Rye - seeming harder to find so snagged
JD BP - heard its great, why not!
MarathonAg12
Sazerac said:

KC120 - buy when I see

The JDBP is some amazing stuff at 130 Proof. I really think people see the JD brand and scoff. Hey, their loss and more for me at a great price.

Rare Breed Rye. I haven't opened this bottle yet, but I agree about the scarcity. I picked up a bottle at TL and it hasn't been restocked in about a month.

And finally, the unsung hero, KC120. Not always on the shelves, but the price is always right. It has not been subject to the Bourbon Baron's secondary market scheme.
lazuras_dc
AG
That is a Great trade. Stagg Jr is so good and EHT rye is so bad. It just falls really flat on every account for me.

Sazerac
AG
I like the EHT Rye quite a bit. I think many just don't enjoy ryes for what they are.
MW03
AG
Found a Booker's 2020-03 and an Eagle Rare on the shelf in Salado at MSRP. Little place called Vintage Spirits that was unassuming from the outside, but had a good selection and prices inside. Passed on a MWND for $215, though. Regretting that a little.
CharlieBrown17
AG
MW03 said:

Found a Booker's 2020-03 and an Eagle Rare on the shelf in Salado at MSRP. Little place called Vintage Spirits that was unassuming from the outside, but had a good selection and prices inside. Passed on a MWND for $215, though. Regretting that a little.

Pretty sure that's well above secondary if you're hankering for one.
AGBrewer512
MarathonAg12 said:

Sazerac said:

KC120 - buy when I see

The JDBP is some amazing stuff at 130 Proof. I really think people see the JD brand and scoff. Hey, their loss and more for me at a great price.

Rare Breed Rye. I haven't opened this bottle yet, but I agree about the scarcity. I picked up a bottle at TL and it hasn't been restocked in about a month.

And finally, the unsung hero, KC120. Not always on the shelves, but the price is always right. It has not been subject to the Bourbon Baron's secondary market scheme.

If the 4RBS = Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Strength, those are awesome. I got a couple bottles last year of the OESQ from TL. The two that I have are Cinnamon and Butterscotch Bombs. Absolutely delicious. Great bottle for around $60 bucks if I remember right on the price.

Only problem is that they are just about as hard to find as Stagg Jr or EHT Barrel Proof around Central Texas.
Sazerac
AG
Yes this is the 4R barrel strength. Premier Liquors in Houston has a store pick release. I'm sure they will have them left today. They were $8x limit one.

First I've ever seen in person.
jetch17
AG
Sazerac said:

Yes this is the 4R barrel strength. Premier Liquors in Houston has a store pick release. I'm sure they will have them left today. They were $8x limit one.

First I've ever seen in person.
the one on Yale?
07fta07
AG
And West 18th
jetch17
Sazerac
AG
both locations. W18th had 10 cases out by the bourbon. Yale you had to ask, wasn't clear how much they had.
AGBrewer512
Sazerac said:

both locations. W18th had 10 cases out by the bourbon. Yale you had to ask, wasn't clear how much they had.

I'm in Austin area, so I probably won't get out there to pick one up. However...

What version was it out of curiosity?

They have 10 different versions based on the yeast and mash bill.

https://fourrosesbourbon.com/our-process/

Beckett12
AG
Premier is a good store. The one off Yale is bigger than 18th. Get to know Saraj "Raj", the tall Indian behind the desk. Former Airforce guy and very friendly. This is the place I was able to pick up the PVW10 and GTS in December 20. He has a lot of barrel purchases so just ask them when they are coming in. They are labeled for Premier. If you buy frequently from him he will usually hold bottles for you. His wine selection is cool as well and it does not feel anything like going through the trouble of a specs downtown.
Sazerac
AG
OESQ

Felt like the one on 18th was larger and def had bottles that Yale didnt.
Beckett12
AG
I have not actually been in 18th, just saw the store front and thought it was one of those typical straight line stores. Anyhow, Saraj hangs out almost fulltime at Yale and he is the connection. But to your point, i have heard him talk about needing to go to 18th to pick stuff up for Yale. Either way, good guy.
PearlandAg09
AG
Anyone else heard anything on the BTAC lottery at TW for grande reserve?

i believe it said February when I signed up but nada to date.
CactusThomas
AG
Still waiting. They say late February.
PearlandAg09
AG
ah i see it now. Thanks Cactus
Gunner33
CharlieBrown17 said:

MW03 said:

Pretty sure that's well above secondary if you're hankering for one.

Yep. You can get it for $150 - $160 on secondary markets
First Page Last Page
Page 586 of 1107

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.