Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,866,975 Views | 38671 Replies | Last: 18 min ago by trouble
CTGilley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Naveronski said:

Buying a bottle a week just to enter the drawing is a lot of booze after a while.
I guess you could buy a $1 shooter...
jh0400
AG
Probably a better chance there than hoping to get enough points at one of the big boxes to get a call. Best I can tell you'd need to spend in the five figures to have a shot there.
TamuKid
AG
Sazerac said:

Heard some fiestas had EHT yesterday so did a loop of those on the Westside. Errands at highland village so hit the others during the trip.

Non of the big box even had rare breed bourbon or rye....

Goody goody is doing a weekly drawing to let you buy allocated bottles. Have to buy something then drop your receipt in the kitty. Seems like the best process.

Isn't requiring a purchase to enter a raffle/contest illegal? Isn't that why all those contests always say "no purchase necessary"?

But I agree, if legal, that's a good way to do it.

Rare Breed is the best deal in bourbon during Twin Dollar Days. Normally like 34 a bottle or something. Hard to beat.... I mean, just kidding... it's gross. Don't buy it.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Thursday drinks
Buck Compton
AG
TamuKid said:

Sazerac said:

Heard some fiestas had EHT yesterday so did a loop of those on the Westside. Errands at highland village so hit the others during the trip.

Non of the big box even had rare breed bourbon or rye....

Goody goody is doing a weekly drawing to let you buy allocated bottles. Have to buy something then drop your receipt in the kitty. Seems like the best process.

Isn't requiring a purchase to enter a raffle/contest illegal? Isn't that why all those contests always say "no purchase necessary"?

But I agree, if legal, that's a good way to do it.

Rare Breed is the best deal in bourbon during Twin Dollar Days. Normally like 34 a bottle or something. Hard to beat.... I mean, just kidding... it's gross. Don't buy it.
It's not a raffle. It's a selection of a group for the right to buy something. They can allocate how they sell product anyway they want to. This is no different than rewards programs with auto redemption for a chance to buy a special edition product.
TamuKid
AG
Gotchya. Then yeah, that's def the best way to do it. Reward your paying customers and gain a nice little sales boost.

Having an EC pick face-off tonight. I expect OLC's to win.
MW03
AG
Picked up a makers cask store pick and a four roses single barrel today. Tired of the hunt and these drink just fine.
K Bo
AG
Been looking at houses for sale in GO/OF in Houston and see this ... damn
TamuKid
AG
Included with house?
Farmer1906
AG
That is way too much sunlight to be storing all those bottles.
Sazerac
AG
guess who has a showing at 8am!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
What's the address?
K Bo
AG
1811 Wakefield Dr

It's under contract
Sazerac
AG
sorry missed your question earlier on how Little Book is
I passed on Ch 1 and 2. Haven't opened my 3. Not interested and passed on 4 after reading the reviews.
I paid ~$100 retail for the 3 this summer.
Sazerac
AG
**** REVIEW ****

Picked up a Remus Single Barrel from Spec's. This one was at 118.1, previously I saw a batch at ~125? As a high-proof lover, and everyone saying MGP has good juice I wanted to give it a try. It was sitting right next to their standard Remus 94 proof but didn't have a price. I was pretty sure it was ~$65 last I saw but took it to the register. They couldn't read the label and about 5 minutes later said "It's $36". SOLD!

It's not a bad pour. You can taste that it's young (~6 years), but the flavor profile is nice. ~60%+ corn (sweet) with ~30% Rye for the spice. Nose is mostly alcohol at first, but has a cherry sweetness after it sits. None of that caramel or vanilla from bourbon that sits for 9+.

If it was <$40 I'd pick up a few times a year like Rare Breed.
At $60+ it's a hard pass for me.
High proof offerings from WT/RB, KC, OF, and BM at that price point are much better.
MJ20/20
AG
Still showing? I'd like to do a visit from 10:45 - 3 on Sat?
Daytona22
AG
Haha maybe they'll be willing to do an open house for a select few.
SpiderDude
AG
The OLC Remus pick was excellent. His was in the $50 range IIRC. I drank through my first bottle pretty quick and had to replace it before he ran out of the pick. I think he's out now tho.
StEdsCOOG
Came across the following bottles in Sugar Land if anyone is interested.

Heritage Parker - 399
EC18 - 399
Weller FP (2) - 349
Stagg Jr - 115 (I think)
PVW 10 - 699
PVW 12 - 1,199
lazuras_dc
AG
StEdsCOOG said:

Heritage Parker - 399
EC18 - 399
Weller FP (2) - 349
Stagg Jr - 115 (I think)
PVW 10 - 699
PVW 12 - 1,199

You buyin em or is that a PSA?
Id consider the wfp maybe even stagg jr
CharlieBrown17
AG
Market on WFP is only around 250-275. If you're going to pay secondary, at least pay the going rate not over.
StEdsCOOG
lazuras_dc said:

StEdsCOOG said:

Heritage Parker - 399
EC18 - 399
Weller FP (2) - 349
Stagg Jr - 115 (I think)
PVW 10 - 699
PVW 12 - 1,199

You buyin em or is that a PSA?
Id consider the wfp maybe even stagg jr
Not buying. I have those bottles.
lazuras_dc
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Market on WFP is only around 250-275. If you're going to pay secondary, at least pay the going rate not over.

I agree, but the problem is finding anyone that has WFP in the first place. Not saying I am in for the deal but it has my interest peaked. I offered $250 for a wfp to a fella on here but haven't heard back so $350 might be my backup.
mazag08
AG
Just picked up Barrell Batch 25 and Barrell Nee Years 2020.

One is a gift and the other is my New Years drink.
CactusThomas
AG
That's a generous gift
SnyderAg02
I really enjoyed batch 25.
lazuras_dc
AG
CactusThomas said:

That's a generous gift

Speaking of ... My buddy was gifted a whistle pig 18 by a colleague.
MW03
AG
lazuras_dc said:

CactusThomas said:

That's a generous gift

Speaking of ... My buddy was gifted a whistle pig 18 by a colleague.

I know a guy that doesn't drink and a client typically sends him a bottle of cristal. He always randomly re-gifts it, and I guarantee he has no idea that it's a $250 bottle of champagne. That's when re-gifting goes right.
mazag08
AG
CactusThomas said:

That's a generous gift
Fathers day, birthday, and Christmas every year I gift my father in law a really nice whiskey. He was new to the game when I started dating his daughter and over the past couple of years I've loved getting him things he's never had and expanding his tastes to the different brands and types of bourbon.

So far I've gifted him..

WIllet Pot Still Reserve (This was the first bottle I gave him and was not the original bottle I bought for him. I had gotten him Blantons after finding it for $55 at the local store, but walking up the stairs to my apartment at the time, I was trying to carry too much and slipped. The sack with the Blantons dropped but I didn't think it broke.. got inside and it definitely had shattered. I was devastated. My wife ended up gifting me a lamp made out of a Blantons bottle for Christmas that year to "make up for it")

Hirsch Small Batch Reserve

Bookers Granny's Batch

Weller Special Reserve

Elijah Craig Small Batch
LPHA
AG
Things are progressing. Stay tuned
jetch17
AG
So WTF, stopped by 2 specs today and they are keeping Rare breed & rare breed rye behind the counter with the eagle rare now? These were smaller neighborhood specs but WTF
CactusThomas
AG
I dont know production numbers so maybe that's the explanation.. but other than that there is no reason ECBP, Blanton's, EHT, and many others should be allocated if Rare Breed is sitting on shelves.

I have been waiting for RB to get allocated or for the others to start showing up on the shelf. One has to happen.
John Francis Donaghy
jetch17 said:

So WTF, stopped by 2 specs today and they are keeping Rare breed & rare breed rye behind the counter with the eagle rare now? These were smaller neighborhood specs but WTF

People want the stuff behind the shelf. Start hiding it, and limiting sales, and it'll sell out within the day.
K_P
AG
Not a poster on this thread but looking for some insight...

How long can I keep an open bottle of bourbon (blantons) before it looses its taste substantially?

Full story- I found a bottle right after our second son was born and the dump date is almost exactly the day he was born (couple days later). I figured that I could save it for him, but my dad opened it and tried it. Anyway, I didn't think it was a huge deal at the time, but a buddy told me it won't last 20 years for my son to be 21 to enjoy it. I am only sentimental about the bottle because it's so close to his birthday.

Obviously I could save it, but if it's gonna taste like garbage or no better than woodford or Buffalo trace what's the point?
John Francis Donaghy
K_P said:

Not a poster on this thread but looking for some insight...

How long can I keep an open bottle of bourbon (blantons) before it looses its taste substantially?

Full story- I found a bottle right after our second son was born and the dump date is almost exactly the day he was born (couple days later). I figured that I could save it for him, but my dad opened it and tried it. Anyway, I didn't think it was a huge deal at the time, but a buddy told me it won't last 20 years for my son to be 21 to enjoy it. I am only sentimental about the bottle because it's so close to his birthday.

Obviously I could save it, but if it's gonna taste like garbage or no better than woodford or Buffalo trace what's the point?

Keep it closed. Keep it in a cool dark place. And it should be fine as long as the bottle is still pretty much full.

If your dad poured out 1/3 or more of the bottle, you might consider rebottling to a smaller bottle. That much air inside the bottle will degrade the bourbon somewhat over that length of time.

And it won't taste like garbage even if it does degrade, it will just taste... blander. It won't have the full flavor it has today, but it won't be bad. If the value is in the date as a novelty, then go for it, it'll really be fine to enjoy when the day comes no matter what.
First Page Last Page
Page 562 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.