Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,834,279 Views | 38371 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Aggie Therapist
postman56
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LPHA said:

Things are progressing. Stay tuned

What does this mean? We talkin FP still?
LPHA
AG
No, Dallas got it all. My friends source didn't have the right info and it turned out to be the owa and Blanton's picks. We are making progress with the barrel pick though. Still really early, but things seem to be coming together
FriedTex
AG
Dick move by your dad
SpiderDude
AG
K_P said:

Not a poster on this thread but looking for some insight...

How long can I keep an open bottle of bourbon (blantons) before it looses its taste substantially?

Obviously I could save it, but if it's gonna taste...no better than woodford or Buffalo trace what's the point?

It tastes no better than those the minute you open it.

Bourbon Junkie
Question about shipping booze - FedEx, UPS and the Post Office all say on their web pages that they won't ship alcohol except for distilleries and liquor stores that have specially-designated accounts.

However, I've received numerous shipments from friends in other states with no problems. The packages even clearly stated they contained alcohol.

Why do the shippers say they won't ship alcohol then do it? Has anyone ever had a problem trying to send relatively small shipments (2-6 bottles)?

kappmeyer
This is a question I've wondered as well. I just recently placed an online order, and I'll be interested in seeing if it shows up.

Again, not supposed to ship liquor to Texas from another state to an individual (as I understand it). So who's on the hook? Me? The shipping co? The liquor store? No clue. It's all foggy as F
Farmer1906
AG
Disagree. Blantons is overhyped and over hunted, but it's still really good juice.
John Francis Donaghy
Bourbon Junkie said:

Question about shipping booze - FedEx, UPS and the Post Office all say on their web pages that they won't ship alcohol except for distilleries and liquor stores that have specially-designated accounts.

However, I've received numerous shipments from friends in other states with no problems. The packages even clearly stated they contained alcohol.

Why do the shippers say they won't ship alcohol then do it? Has anyone ever had a problem trying to send relatively small shipments (2-6 bottles)?

Paperweights come in all shapes and sizes.
Bulldog73
AG
Sorry y'all, can't go through 500+ pages. Looking for some recommendations of things at least semi available in the $50ish range. I've got some Elijah Craig Small Batch and 4 Roses small batch. To date, I've most enjoyed sipping Irish Whiskeys, but I'm looking to expand some.
07fta07
AG
Bourbon Junkie said:

Bubble wrap it well and throw a box of rice in there to hide the liquid sound and tell FedEx/ups it's toys when they ask what's in there. Never had a problem.
TheCellarDoor
AG
Belle Meade reserve cask strength is available everywhere. In my area of Texas, I can grab Heaven Hill BiB routinely, and I love it. Old forester 1920 is pretty solid.
Sazerac
AG
OF1920
BM Cask
KC 120
Rare Breed

$40-$60 range, Should find a couple of those most places, great pours
CactusThomas
AG
Sazerac said:

OF1920
BM Cask
KC 120
Rare Breed

All of this plus 4 Roses Small Batch Select, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel and Woodford Double Oak.
HouseDivided06
AG
Well to be fair, Belle Meade Reserve is available most places but the Cask Strength is harder to find as its being phased out and all moving to the 108.3 proof Reserve. Which sucks since it's been my favorite readily available bottle.
TheCellarDoor
AG
Bummer, haven't grabbed one in a while but sounds like I may need to soon.
betadawg1
AG
Not supposed to ship alcohol but olive oil is fine.
Ornithopter
AG
The Belle Meade Reserve is really, really good.
txag2008
AG
Breaking out the good stuff, because I may never have this much hope in an Aggie football season ever again
CactusThomas
AG
Great picture
SpiderDude
AG
Sazerac said:

OF1920
BM Cask
KC 120
Rare Breed

Did somebody say KC 120???

K_P
AG
FriedTex said:

Dick move by your dad

Ha! He thinks it's insane for a stupid millennial to save a bottle of bourbon for a 1 year old child.
Sazerac
Sazerac
AG
Respect
postman56
AG
Any inside tips for us this week? Was guessing they may drop nothing or one day of something good before Christmas
MW03
AG
SpiderDude said:

Sazerac said:

OF1920
BM Cask
KC 120
Rare Breed

Did somebody say KC 120???

Explains why I can't find it anymore
LPHA
AG
Nothing yet. They did baby bottles of the Blanton's picks the next day or Saturday, but I didn't get any info until after it was already done
postman56
AG
It seems like they've released just about everything I can think of over the past few weeks except maybe the new batch of Stagg jr but that'll probably be a few more weeks time too.
Have the C batches of ECBP come out here yet? Maybe those too

Edit: 4R Private select barrels came to specs Dallas today so hoping Houston soon too
lazuras_dc
AG
When you go into a store and ask if they have gotten in anything cool, and they say no... whats the liklihood they are full of BS? I wonder bc specs and total wine both said they haven't seen anything lately even though the interwebs are full of unicorns dropping.

My buddy asked a store clerk at a local shop and he said they didn't have anything but I literally talked to the manager the day before who said they had Blantons in the back...so I went back the next day and the manager pulled one for me... maybe the clerk just isn't authorized to give any away?
Naveronski
AG
They're saving it for friends and handys/cigarettes.

If you know specifically what to ask for you can get lucky, but it's kind of a ****ty deal for the average person.
TamuKid
AG
lazuras_dc said:

When you go into a store and ask if they have gotten in anything cool, and they say no... whats the liklihood they are full of BS? I wonder bc specs and total wine both said they haven't seen anything lately even though the interwebs are full of unicorns dropping.

My buddy asked a store clerk at a local shop and he said they didn't have anything but I literally talked to the manager the day before who said they had Blantons in the back...so I went back the next day and the manager pulled one for me... maybe the clerk just isn't authorized to give any away?

Ya gotta either be a face they see regularly that buys more than just "cool stuff", or know them personally, or be asking for a specific bottle that they happen to have, or get a call if they do a "list", or just get flat out lucky.
Elmo Lincoln
AG
CactusThomas said:

Sazerac said:

OF1920
BM Cask
KC 120
Rare Breed

All of this plus 4 Roses Small Batch Select, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel and Woodford Double Oak.
MW03
AG
If I'm going to engage a salesman, it's always to ask for a recommendation. The only time I have ever had any kind of good luck with an allocated whiskey, it's because I was just chatting booze with the guy first. I imagine they are as sick of people asking as we are asking.
62strat
AG
lazuras_dc said:

.. maybe the clerk just isn't authorized to give any away?
Very likely that the guy in charge of buying allocated stuff might not want any random employee selling whatever he puts in the back.

Bourbon Junkie
Anyone ever try any of the Blue Note products?

I just bought the 9 year small batch and 10 year barrel proof. I had never heard of them before but they had samples available so I figured I'd improve my bottle diversity.

postman56
AG
62strat said:

lazuras_dc said:

.. maybe the clerk just isn't authorized to give any away?
Very likely that the guy in charge of buying allocated stuff might not want any random employee selling whatever he puts in the back.

Yep exactly. At big and small stores the allocated stuff isn't common knowledge. At my couple specs I go to I'll get a different answer for everyone I ask and local stores typically only manager/owners sell the allocated unless it's just sitting out with a high price tag.

At specs I always ask for someone in liquor to ask any questions but it's also important to note if it's anything more allocated than Eagle rare, EHT small batch or maybe weller antique, they're either telling you no or it's on a list.

You have to keep in mind these people get countless customers daily asking only for allocated stuff so just be nice and always be ready to be told no. Doesn't hurt to ask politely ever but even then it takes a lot of luck.
First Page Last Page
Page 563 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.