Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,863,719 Views | 38665 Replies | Last: 42 min ago by Pac1698
the dude10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FDT 1999 said:

austinag1997 said:

jh0400 said:

I'd probably spend $400 on a THH if I saw one sitting on the shelf for that much.

Think I would too.

Maybe I'm a cheap ass then. The Thomas Handy may have been competitive, but I just can't get over dropping $200-250 on a bottle of any of these. Maybe Pappy I'd go over that, but when they said $1,500 for the Sazerac 18, I just laughed and grabbed the usual.

I actually thought about the $200 Blanton's for a second but even then I feel like I'm getting screwed.

Like I said, maybe I'm just cheap.

$200 for blantons vs $400 for THH is easy in favor of THH for me. At this point I probably wouldn't pull the trigger but I would have a hard time not grabbing the handy. It's so damn good
jwhitlock3
Mixed up equal parts 10 and 20 to make a 1915, and really loved it! I've seen Jacki Zykan (Old Forester Master Taster) discuss this blend and was curious to try it. 10/10
RenoAg
Great pour for the Ag USCe game this evening... I can confirm tonight that ecbp c919 is delicious. Not quite as good as release 11 139.4. But maybe after it's been opened a while... could change my tune.
RenoAg
Another way of saying this: I like Blantons. Not worthy of overpaying for. Period.

I also really like THH. It's fantastic. Overpay? Yes. $400? Man that's tough. I'd still say Michters Barrel Proof Rye is the better value on secondary and the only other Rye I'd put in the same quality ballpark as THH outside of Bookers Rye or VW. But those last two while excellent are insanely priced on secondary. So those aren't really "comps".
lazuras_dc
AG
Had an OF birthday bourbon at Peggys on the Green today. Good stuff , checked it off the list. Would not pay 1k for a bottle.

They also had a little bit of EHT barrel proof
RenoAg
lazuras_dc said:

Had an OF birthday bourbon at Peggys on the Green today. Good stuff , checked it off the list. Would not pay 1k for a bottle.

They also had a little bit of EHT barrel proof

This is how you do it Ags. Don't pay ridiculous secondary prices unless and until you know you realllllly like it. But take advantage of buying an expensive pour every now and again when you have the opportunity and if you can afford it. Just be advised that you will frequently be disappointed compared to the hype. And only occasionally discover something that really hits your palate just right.
Tormentos
AG
Gents,
I have been living overseas for the past 4.5 years and will be venturing back to TX this Christmas. Can someone give me a rough idea on prices and availability for bourbon these days? One of my go-to back in the day was Eagle Rare 10yr....can I still easily walk into Specs any buy a bottle these days? Price?

I am overseas in SE Asia and I was thinking about picking up a couple of US bottles of various bourbons to bring home but I only want to do it if its a PITA to get bottles stateside for a decent price.
SteveG
AG
Regarding Eagle Rare, up until a about 18 months ago, I could easily get a bottle here in the MW. Maybe 2 outta 4 stores would have it. Now...can't find it at all. It should be around $38 bucks if you can get it and the store is not inflating the normal retail. Was just in Houston last week and think the market is tight there too but will let someone correct me if I am off. Great stuff though. Love me some ER and really great for the $ - IF a you can find it!
Superdave1993
AG
I will never tell someone how to spend their money, but after I finally tried Pappy 15 I have pretty much resolved to not buy on secondary. It was good, but not worth the money on secondary. Blanton's is a BT that I really enjoy, but do not think it is worth $200. You can grab several other bottles that You would enjoy for that same money. I have recently been on a WT kick thanks to this board, and picked up my first rare breed single barrel this past week. My thoughts on it are 3-4 good bottles will make more memories with friends than one bottle.
AGdent07
AG
Tormentos said:

Gents,
I have been living overseas for the past 4.5 years and will be venturing back to TX this Christmas. Can someone give me a rough idea on prices and availability for bourbon these days? One of my go-to back in the day was Eagle Rare 10yr....can I still easily walk into Specs any buy a bottle these days? Price?

I am overseas in SE Asia and I was thinking about picking up a couple of US bottles of various bourbons to bring home but I only want to do it if its a PITA to get bottles stateside for a decent price.
Where are you located in Texas? Ive got several bottles and can hook you up with one. Unfortunately ER has become harder to find and doesn't sit on the shelf. It is considered allocated and gets scooped up quickly.
Sazerac
AG
I've got an ER for you in Houston.

It's mostly allocated here - you would have to ask for it at a specs.

SpiderDude
AG
Superdave1993 said:

I will never tell someone how to spend their money, but after I finally tried Pappy 15 I have pretty much resolved to not buy on secondary. It was good, but not worth the money on secondary. Blanton's is a BT that I really enjoy, but do not think it is worth $200. You can grab several other bottles that You would enjoy for that same money. I have recently been on a WT kick thanks to this board, and picked up my first rare breed single barrel this past week. My thoughts on it are 3-4 good bottles will make more memories with friends than one bottle.

Spot on. When I got into the whiskey game I vowed to never pay secondary. I've been able to aquire most good bottles apart from BTAC and PVW level stuff by being patient and disciplined in my hunting. I've tried some of those and while they're good I'm reminded that my approach was the right one.
tlfw378
AG
Went out to Garrison Brothers this last weekend and helped with bottling. I had a great time, met some great people and made some new friends. We bottled the 50,000 bottle of small batch this weekend. There is a hand written note on it, so it will easier to identify.

schwack schwack
AG
I asked before about Tahwahkaro & got no replies. Anyone had it? They are moving to our city & we're pretty excited about having a local distillery!
SpiderDude
AG
Take 3 zeros of that bottle # and that's what they should charge for it.
62strat
AG

Outdoorag011
Anyone looking for a Yamazaki 12 year?
Wheatables02
AG
SpiderDude said:

Take 3 zeros of that bottle # and that's what they should charge for it.
and maybe another $12 after that
SpiderDude
AG
Outdoorag011 said:

Anyone looking for a Yamazaki 12 year?

No. Are you? I see it fairly regularly here at various places.
djmeen95
AG
Picked up a bottle of Maker's private select from Total Wine.

Can't wait to give it a go. Although 9 weeks of additional aging with the staves doesn't seem like enough to make much of a difference.

Good thing I'm a sucker for marketing and things like "Bottle 67 of 246".

They see me coming from a mile away. Lol.
FTAco07
AG
I have a bottle from TW with the same stave profile. I am curious to hear your thoughts on this one once you have had a chance to try it.

Personally, it gives me the tingly cheeks feeling and even after only one drink my head hurts a bit in the morning. I have no idea why, but I can't think of any other bourbon I've had that does that with only one drink.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I had a bottle of regular Makers that did this to me a few years back. I gave up trying to figure it out and poured the thing down the drain, wasn't worth it.
CactusThomas
AG
djmeen95 said:

Picked up a bottle of Maker's private select from Total Wine.

Can't wait to give it a go. Although 9 weeks of additional aging with the staves doesn't seem like enough to make much of a difference.

It makes a huge difference. I have had several and they are all very different. I am a big fan.
62strat
AG
$100 for 1 in 2000 chance of a lifetime

https://opalsdreamfoundation.org/ultimate-bourbon-raffle/the-ultimate-bourbon-collection?fbclid=IwAR2ct1HixLkAuxvTKQiH2e1_BDMVPVa1AsuU_xGOUVonMwIdaDd0ruXSRUU
Sazerac
AG
I'm in for a shot
AggieBarstool
You couldn't pay me enough to enter a raffle where I couldn't watch them pull the name from the bin. The opportunity is too ripe for being "staged."
AGdent07
AG
AggieBarstool said:

You couldn't pay me enough to enter a raffle where I couldn't watch them pull the name from the bin. The opportunity is too ripe for being "staged."
I completely agree, but it does say that the drawing is conducted live (take that for what you will)
htxag09
AG
AggieBarstool said:

First, you could pay me more than the raffle tickets.

Second, I entered one of these charity raffles and won a $10k bike. Not everyone is a thief.
djmeen95
AG
FTAco07 said:

I have a bottle from TW with the same stave profile. I am curious to hear your thoughts on this one once you have had a chance to try it.

Personally, it gives me the tingly cheeks feeling and even after only one drink my head hurts a bit in the morning. I have no idea why, but I can't think of any other bourbon I've had that does that with only one drink.

You got it. Interesting about the headache thing. I've had that happen with a couple of wines but not bourbons (well - not in moderation, anyway).

Might pour some tonight in fact. You know, for science and stuff. I'll let ya know what I think.

62strat
AG
AGdent07 said:

AggieBarstool said:

I completely agree, but it does say that the drawing is conducted live (take that for what you will)
comments confirm it is a live drawing on Facebook.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I've been asked for recommendations for a gift for a friend of mine. It's from his future FIL, wants to spend $150-200. Any ideas? What single bottle would you buy given that budget? Assume you don't mind paying secondary.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
aggielostinETX
AG
AggieBarstool said:

A year to find? I could buy all those in 2 weeks.
Gunner33
GarlandAg2012 said:

I've been asked for recommendations for a gift for a friend of mine. It's from his future FIL, wants to spend $150-200. Any ideas? What single bottle would you buy given that budget? Assume you don't mind paying secondary.

MWND or Elmer T Lee would be the 2 I would pick.
TamuKid
AG
Stagg Jr would put you under that and be a great bottle.

Blanton's Gold / SFTB on the upper end of that range.
CactusThomas
AG
Cheers

First Page Last Page
Page 542 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.