Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,839,703 Views | 38434 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by Visor
djmeen95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CactusThomas said:

Cheers

Right back at ya! Salud!

I really enjoyed this! Neat, then with a few drops of water, but it was when I added a single piece of ice that this bad boy SANG to me.

What did it sing you ask?

Oddly enough.... The Gourds - Gin and Juice

BTW - I'll see if I have a headache tomorrow...
CactusThomas
AG
Not anticipating any headaches over here
SpiderDude
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

I've been asked for recommendations for a gift for a friend of mine. It's from his future FIL, wants to spend $150-200. Any ideas? What single bottle would you buy given that budget? Assume you don't mind paying secondary.

If you want to blow out all on one bottle at non secondary you could find a Kentucky Owl Rye.
Buck Compton
AG
SpiderDude said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

I've been asked for recommendations for a gift for a friend of mine. It's from his future FIL, wants to spend $150-200. Any ideas? What single bottle would you buy given that budget? Assume you don't mind paying secondary.

If you want to blow out all on one bottle at non secondary you could find a Kentucky Owl Rye.
My local store has 4-5 of these right now. Can't stomach paying that for a bottle of whiskey
CharlieBrown17
AG
Batch 1 Kentucky owl rye was worth it. Top 5 rye I've ever had.
FTAco07
AG
djmeen95 said:

I really enjoyed this! Neat, then with a few drops of water, but it was when I added a single piece of ice that this bad boy SANG to me.

I forgot to mention that, but I 100% agree that an ice cube absolutely woke this one up and made it completely more enjoyable to drink. Funny how some bourbons absolutely need ice and some I would much rather drink neat.
Copp
I really like Kentucky owl ryes. I have batches 1 2 and 3. Like 2, love 1 and 3. Looking forward to 4.

Kentucky owl gets a bad rap for pricing, but I love their products
RGRAg1/75
AG
In Louisville for work. Stopped in to a place for a cocktail with some colleagues and they had Pappy 15. My first Pappy experience. It was $27 for a pour. It was certainly good, but I wouldn't pay secondary for it. Nice to encounter it for a taste, however.
Sazerac
AG
Thats a super fair price
Superdave1993
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

In Louisville for work. Stopped in to a place for a cocktail with some colleagues and they had Pappy 15. My first Pappy experience. It was $27 for a pour. It was certainly good, but I wouldn't pay secondary for it. Nice to encounter it for a taste, however.
My thought exactly. I fully expected angels to dance on my tongue and have unicorns fart rainbows over me when I tried it.
austinag1997
AG
SpiderDude said:

Take 3 zeros of that bottle # and that's what they should charge for it.

I have been pretty vocal about this in the past... I think I am just going to listen to mama's advice and just shut up from here on out. Some folks like going out there and helping out. I am going to quit ****ting on them. To each their own.
MW03
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

That's the way to do it. And for the record, I have and would again gladly pay $40 for a pour of Thomas H Handy
SpiderDude
AG
Sazerac said:

Thats a super fair price

Certainly. I've seen Pappy pours on menus for 3 figure prices.
SpiderDude
AG
austinag1997 said:

SpiderDude said:

Take 3 zeros of that bottle # and that's what they should charge for it.

I have been pretty vocal about this in the past... I think I am just going to listen to mama's advice and just shut up from here on out. Some folks like going out there and helping out. I am going to quit ****ting on them. To each their own.

I have nothing to knock them on other than the price point. But I get it... it's a complete marketing play on their part.
JarAG2007
AG
Ok I am normally a beer guy, but many friends of mine are going to the dark side. If i were to start developing a taste where should i start? When i do drink whiskey its normally TX or Forty Creek in Sprite. I know some will say that is blasphemy, but what can i say....

I am not wanting to spend an arm and a leg, but do want to start building a taste for it without being turned away. Any recommendations are welcomed. Sorry for being a rook in this regard...
DDSO
AG
Elijah Craig. Easy to find and about $33.
Sazerac
AG
Evan Williams white label
Buffalo trace
Weller special reserve if on the shelf
Eagle rare if on the shelf
Wild turkey 101
Knob creek
Rare breed (see if you like higher proof)

Affordable Intro to decent to good bourbon that you should be able to find at most stores

John Francis Donaghy
JarAG2007 said:

Ok I am normally a beer guy, but many friends of mine are going to the dark side. If i were to start developing a taste where should i start? When i do drink whiskey its normally TX or Forty Creek in Sprite. I know some will say that is blasphemy, but what can i say....

I am not wanting to spend an arm and a leg, but do want to start building a taste for it without being turned away. Any recommendations are welcomed. Sorry for being a rook in this regard...

On the contrary, a glass of sprite is the perfect place for TX and Forty Creek.

Lesson 1: don't fall for the hype of rare premium bottles. There's tons of very good, easy to find, affordable bourbon out there for drinking.

First bottle I'd suggest is Elijah Craig Small Batch. It's a good solid example of exactly what bourbon is. Should be about $30. If you don't care for it, you probably won't care for much of anything else in the bourbon aisle either.
HouseDivided06
AG
Start with the good but inexpensive stuff and start to develop a taste of what you like. Try it neat, try it with a couple drops of water, maybe one cube of ice, and determine what works for you. Some good starters that are readily available and not too expensive:

Wild Turkey 101: $40-ish for a handle
Bulleit: $30-ish for a 750 ml
Four Roses Small Batch: $30-ish for 750 ml
Four Roses Single Barrel: $38 for a 750 ml
Basil Haydens: only 80 proof but can be a gateway into drinking it neat: $35 for 750 ml
Knob Creek 100 Proof: $35 for a 750 ml
Old Forester 1910: my personal favorite of the OF lineup (other than Birthday): a little more expensive at $48 or so, but it is DAMN good
Elijah Craig: $28 for 750 ml
Evan Williams Single Barrel: $28 for a 750 ml

Try some Ryes too and see what you think:

Sazerac: $28 for a 750 ml
Rittenhouse: $25 for a 750 ml
Pikesville: Higher proof at 110 but you would never know it: best readily available rye out there: $42 for 750 ml

If you want to be a little daring, try some Old Forester 1920. More expensive but higher proof and delicious. I like 1910 better personally just from a flavor profile.
MJ20/20
AG
JarAG2007 said:

When i do drink vodka its normally TX or Forty Creek in Sprite.

The list Sazerac posted is spot on and a great start. I wish I could go back and try all of those for the first time again.
Naveronski
AG
What temperature do y'all prefer?

72 Off the shelf
55 Wine cellar
Somewhere in the middle on the rocks
43 In the fridge
29 Honey whiskey from the freezer
Farmer1906
AG
Based on those you like sweet whisky. I would go with something without a super high proof. Buffalo Trace, Markers, Wellar SR. Maybe even something you've already had without the sprite.
MW03
AG
I'm actually going to disagree a bit with a couple of the posts here because the the first thing you have to acclimate to is the burn. It's the same with wine or beer, but for different taste profiles. Someone that has only ever enjoyed coke would not enjoy a strong IPA right off the bat. Instead you start with Miller Light or Bud Light, then at some point you think Shiner is the end all be all of beer, and then at some point you find yourself drinking something from Russian River wondering how you ever stomached Shiner, let alone Bud Light.

For bourbon, if you start trying to drink 100+ proof bourbon or spicy ryes neat right off the bat, you're going to have a bad time.

I'd say go with a whiskey/coke iced, backing off the coke. Then it's whiskey on the rocks. Then it's whiskey with a splash. Then it's whiskey neat. By the time you get to that last step, you're going to have cultivated an appreciation for the flavors without getting pushed off because of the burn/alcohol.

As for the whiskey, cheap is a good call, but really you're looking for the standard bearers of the market that are slightly elevated. I personally believe there's a reason they all are there, and it's because they make money as a result of being easily accessible and extremely consistent. My choices here would be something 90 proof, under $40, and easily found on the shelf.

• Buffalo Trace
  • Woodford Reserve
  • Makers Mark
  • Bulleit Rye
jh0400
AG
Room temp and neat 95% of the time
the dude10
AG
If you are going with a cheap wheater I prefer Larceny over WSR
FriedTex
AG
Always room temperature. I NEVER understand bourbon with some dumb big ice cube in it. If you can't handle the proof, stick with the low 80 proof stuff while you work your way up.

For stuff like ECBP, Bookers, anything north of 130 (I consider these upper middle class bourbons) - I will put some drops of water in it to open it up. However, I have never had to do that with William Larue Weller (upper class) - or any other high end / high proof bourbon
jh0400
AG
I'd recommend starting with Bernheim and ease into wheated bourbon.
AggBock
AG
Obligatory, "you gotta get Blanton's!" Post
FriedTex
AG
jh0400 said:

I'd recommend starting with Bernheim and ease into wheaten bourbon.
I dont know what prices yall are seeing, but this was a 25 dollar bourbon that they are now trying to hauck at around 50 bucks now in stores that I see. Not even close to worth it at that price.
Ornithopter
AG
JarAG2007 said:

Knob Creek 9 year is quite good and not expensive.
AggieBarstool
It's fairly well accepted that adding some water and/or lowering the temp brings out different notes vs. neat.
FriedTex
AG
It does, but a huge ice cube dilutes the full bourbon experience: It turns it into watery/brown/cold/alcohol
jh0400
AG
$26.99 at Spec's per their website.
trouble
AG
That depends on how long it takes you to drink it
John Francis Donaghy
FriedTex said:

It does, but a huge ice cube dilutes the full bourbon experience: It turns it into watery/brown/cold/alcohol

If I'm drinking high end stuff with Ice, I have 2 glasses and a spoon. Once the bourbon gets to the right temp/dilution, scoop out the ice and put it in the other glass. Then I can drink the whiskey at my leisure without it getting watered down. I don't bother with all that unless it's something good though.
First Page Last Page
Page 543 of 1099

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.