Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,869,132 Views | 38692 Replies | Last: 8 sec ago by Bulldog73
oneoutofmany
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Managed to come home today with a bottle of EC 21. Not really expecting to see it when I did. Also found a bottle of Noah's Mill. Eager to try both.
Oknows
AG
Grabbed a bottle of Willett Pot Still Reserve today. First attempt at Willett. Going to give it a try tonight.
Oknows
AG
quote:
quote:
Is $55 for a George T stag barrel blend a good price?

HUH?!?!?

My mistake. It was the Stagg Jr. 134 proof. Went with the Willett instead.
austinag1997
AG
Stagg, Jr. is pretty darn good. Better than Willett Pot Still easily in my opinion.

I have gone through 5 bottles of Stagg Jr. since November.
joshwayne330
quote:
quote:
quote:
Is $55 for a George T stag barrel blend a good price?

HUH?!?!?

My mistake. It was the Stagg Jr. 134 proof. Went with the Willett instead.

Stagg Jr is HOT! Needs a big rock and then you are set. Wish they would have called this Buffalo Trace Barrel Proof instead...
FlyFish95
I'm not even sure why they bottle bourbon at 134 proof. It's completely undrinkable like that.
Oknows
AG
That's pretty much why I went with the Willett other than the fact that I hadn't tried it before.
agmatt06
AG
I've had stagg jr in my decantor for a month now. Only had one small glass. It is tough to be in the mood to sip.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
I'm not even sure why they bottle bourbon at 134 proof. It's completely undrinkable like that.

Totally disagree. Yes, Stagg Jr is a hotter bourbon due to its increased alcohol content. That does not make it undrinkable. Its a sipper that has a great depth of flavor. A splash of water or a small ice cube really opens it up. I'm not talking about diluting it to cut the ABV but just enough to open it.

Stagg Sr has about the same level of ABV (the 2012 was a lofty 71.4%) and I don't even cut it. In fact I don't even think "hot" is a word I would use to describe it. Yes you know it has a high ABV but it is not overpowering. The vanilla nose and vanilla and chocolate back palate are amazing. Again, it's not a bourbon you pour over ice after a long day at the office. It's a sipper and the bourbon equivalent of a good cognac. In a Glencairn glass GTS is great stuff.

(edit for typos)

[This message has been edited by mathguy86 (edited 2/16/2014 10:14a).]
ChopThemHorns
I agree Stagg Jr is fantastic. Not for the faint of heart. I picked up some Bookers yesterday, can't wait to try that one.

Class of '09
A WHOOP
Mathguy64
AG
For me Bookers is an example of a high ABV bourbon where the proof gets in the way of the flavor in an unpleasant way. Nothing I try (with or without water, ice, glass type) matters.
Atty_Ag
I drip a few drops of Ozarka spring water in Stagg Junio and find that's the way I enjoy it best, but I agree it's a monster and I have to be in the mood for it.
joshwayne330
I really enjoy barrel proofers when they are done right. Stagg Sr is one of my favorite pours, but the sub 9 year olds that are 130+ proof are overpowered by alcohol. Stagg Jr, Bookers, and Blanton's SFTB are examples of young barrel proofers that can't hold up to enjoying neat for me personally. I am not saying I don't enjoy younger barrel proofers entirely. Some Four Roses Private Barrel Selections and older WT RB's are great examples of 103-122 proof uncut pours that drink flawlessly neat. Willett Family Estate bottling's under 10 years are also very drinkable because they are usually in the low to mid 120's.
mncag
Anyone tried Noah mill. For 50.00, it may be the best I have had
joshwayne330
^^^After they dropped the 15 age statement, I gave up on Noah's Mill. Glad you liked it though.
farmer2010
AG
Love Noah's Mill. Love the little brother Rowan's Creek even more.
tx4guns
AG
Noah's Mill is solid, but I've kinda grown past it with other barrel proof bourbons, especially WLW and GTS. I think I like the Elijah Craig BP better, too. With that said, I still keep a bottle in my cabinet.
austinag1997
AG
quote:
Totally disagree. Yes, Stagg Jr is a hotter bourbon due to its increased alcohol content. That does not make it undrinkable. Its a sipper that has a great depth of flavor. A splash of water or a small ice cube really opens it up. I'm not talking about diluting it to cut the ABV but just enough to open it.

Stagg Sr has about the same level of ABV (the 2012 was a lofty 71.4%) and I don't even cut it. In fact I don't even think "hot" is a word I would use to describe it. Yes you know it has a high ABV but it is not overpowering. The vanilla nose and vanilla and chocolate back palate are amazing. Again, it's not a bourbon you pour over ice after a long day at the office. It's a sipper and the bourbon equivalent of a good cognac. In a Glencairn glass GTS is great stuff.

I agree with all of this.
austinag1997
AG
quote:
After they dropped the 15 age statement, I gave up on Noah's Mill. Glad you liked it though

The 15 yr statement doesn't really impact your palate. Noah's Mill is still a really good bourbon, although I don't think it compares favorably to GTS or WLW.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
"The 15 yr statement doesn't really impact your palate. Noah's Mill is still a really good bourbon, although I don't think it compares favorably to GTS or WLW."

Could be wrong, but I think he's saying he doesn't enjoy the bourbon as much now that they are blending with younger juice, i.e., 4 year old bourbon.
'03ag
I think I paid $40 for Noah's mill. I thought it was good but now that it's gone I doubt I'll keep it on hand. to much other stuff out there. for $50 no way.

tx4guns
AG
Bourbon related... Score.

joshwayne330
quote:
quote:
After they dropped the 15 age statement, I gave up on Noah's Mill. Glad you liked it though

The 15 yr statement doesn't really impact your palate. Noah's Mill is still a really good bourbon, although I don't think it compares favorably to GTS or WLW.

Yes, when KBD dropped the age statement on Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek back in 2008ish the quality of product went down and noticeably younger juice being used. And yes, a 15 year bourbon compared to say a 10 year bourbon will effect the taste on the palate. IMO it is overpriced for $50. Go buy some OGD 114 if you like that proof point and save $30...
austinag1997
AG
Josh,

I get it. Noah's Mill is certainly a tough purchase at the same price point as Stagg, Jr.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I have a friend with a bottle of PVW 23 who's looking to 'rehome' it. But not sure what they go for and this is a bottle from '08.

austinag1997
AG
It could be rehomed at my home. Price?

pointventureag AT gmail
AlaskanAg99
AG
Hes not sure. I was looking for that info. Or what other onlin e websites are used for such things.
bonfiresmoke
I have not seen it mentioned very much, but Wild Turkey Rare Breed at 108 proof is a very good drink. It has it's own flavor profile different from all the other Wild Turkey beverages. Most of the time I put a few rocks in or maybe a little water. At times I have mixed it with Wild Turkey American Honey using one part Rare Breed and three parts American Honey.
joshwayne330
^^ you should be banded from this thread for mentioning WT American honey and admitting to drinking it. Just messing with you!
Icecream_Ag
S
dont worry about Josh, he's just jealous he didnt think to mix them first.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Saw there's a 20 year wheated Willet at the distillery only. Would like to get my hands on one.

Someone drive over there for me, k?
bonfiresmoke
Icecream, that is okay. I guess I better not tell him we passed a bottle of Fireball last season when the Aggies scored!!
austinag1997
AG
Ducks,

My recollection is that 20yr wheater was not cheap! I opted for the 9yr instead.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
You basically have to buy your own barrel from Willett to find out what's in your bottle.

From what I understand, this isn't even a guarantee on every single barrel. In the one I am thinking of, I believe they were trying to heavily imply it came from Stitzel Weller, without actually stating it.

quote:

I like to have as many options as possible when it comes to cutting it down to the desired proof. The other part is why pay BT to dilute it for you? If you want to get really crazy, use Buffalo Trace to cut it instead of water. I really enjoy it at around 50/50.

quote:
^^ you should be banded from this thread for mentioning WT American honey and admitting to drinking it. Just messing with you!

The only time I tried WT Honey was with Jimmy Russell, and he swore up and down he actually enjoyed it. I was truly impressed with the sincerity he managed to muster up to deliver that line.

austinag1997
AG
quote:
The only time I tried WT Honey was with Jimmy Russell

How did that come to happen?
First Page Last Page
Page 54 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.