Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,865,498 Views | 38666 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by trouble
the dude10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SpiderDude said:

Probably a well aged MGP Rye at cask strength.

I was going to say this, but actually probably THH. It's just too damn good. Also, I like the suggestion of Elijah Craig. One of the first bottles that got me into bourbon and a staple ever since. Just good bourbon.
Copp
Good question. Did the barrel pick idea die out?
Sazerac
AG
THH

For stuff that's actually on the shelf - and I have to pay for it - I'd do a $40 handle of WT101 For volume and a $40 bottle of Rare Breed.

Having a limitless supply of the full EHT lineup though would make for a nice variety.
AGdent07
AG
Copp said:

Good question. Did the barrel pick idea die out?

You would be surprised how difficult to get a barrel is. I'm working with my liquor store owner who does lots of barrel picks. Most companies have their barrels sold for 2020. Our best chance currently is four roses and Russell's reserve. He is trying to get us pricing and availability. I've been talking with one of the main HBS guys just to help with the process since this is our first barrel pick. That's all the update I have currently. Keep you posted once we have more info.
Copp
My apologies. I probably should have been more delicate with the question. Just meant I hadn't heard anything in a while so didn't know if this was something still being pursued.

Appreciate the update!

I could go for a nice russels pick!
AGdent07
AG
Copp said:

My apologies. I probably should have been more delicate with the question. Just meant I hadn't heard anything in a while so didn't know if this was something still being pursued.

Appreciate the update!

I could go for a nice russels pick!

Oh in know way did I mean for that to come off as upset. I was just giving a quick update directed at your question. It's all good.
Naveronski
AG
Sounds great! Thanks for the update.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Four roses barrel proof would be a legit pick
betadawg1
AG
A successful hunt.

979ag
AG
jesus
AGdent07
AG
Wow thats a hell of a good find. I haven't seen the rye in my area. Let me know if you want to trade any of those.
AggieBarstool
I just want to try a bottle of Stagg Jr.
betadawg1
AG
AGdent07 said:

Wow thats a hell of a good find. I haven't seen the rye in my area. Let me know if you want to trade any of those.

This was a trip to Oregon. Had some time between protests to whiskey hunt. I could have bought cases of the EC rye and ER 1.75s. Unfortunately I only had so much room in my checked bags.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'm so ready for the DoD to let Washington based people leave Washington.

Liquor tax up here is dumb and I'm ready to jump on the Oregon liquor website and do some tracking down like that
Sazerac
AG
Can you imagine living in a place where all this stuff was just sitting on shelves at MSRP whenever you wanted ??
AGdent07
AG
AggieBarstool said:

I just want to try a bottle of Stagg Jr.

If you are in Houston area I could probably give you a sample
CharlieBrown17
AG
http://www.oregonliquorsearch.com/home.jsp

From what've I've been told OWA/Blantons/similar is accurate. Don't trust if it says a store has weller 12/BTAC/etc
SweaterVest
AG
Sazerac said:

Can you imagine living in a place where all this stuff was just sitting on shelves at MSRP whenever you wanted ??

Would people even care about it if it was sitting on the shelves at MSRP whenever you wanted?
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'd buy ECBP and Four Roses barrel proof monthly if they were always on the shelf.
Johnsy3
AG
What batch(es) do you have? Not looking to sample, just wanna know what you have and what you think of it. Stagg Jr batch 9 is my favorite bourbon ever
Chipotlemonger
AG
Is $100 for a combo of Weller special reserve and EHT small batch a good value? I feel like it is, just curious. I don't know MSRP for these 2.
Jdrexgman
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Is $100 for a combo of Weller special reserve and EHT small batch a good value? I feel like it is, just curious. I don't know MSRP for these 2.

WSR ($~30) & EHT SB ($~40)

Depends on how bad you want that EHT
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thank you that's all I wanted to know!
AGdent07
AG
Johnsy3 said:

What batch(es) do you have? Not looking to sample, just wanna know what you have and what you think of it. Stagg Jr batch 9 is my favorite bourbon ever
I have batch 13. Traded my buddy batch 11. Its really hot (high proof) but has good flavor. Honestly Stagg Jr is not my favorite and kind of why I traded my second one.
Johnsy3
AG
I've tried 9, 12, and 13. 13 definitely tasted hotter than the other two.
Johnsy3
AG
Does anyone here use little glass sample bottles? Looking to swap samples with some buddies and wondering if anyone has suggestions on a specific brand or anything.

These are the first suggestion from amazon

Texas_Aggie91
AG
Those are the ones I use. They come in styrofoam packing. I like them.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
I have a bottle of 13 and that's the only one I've tried. It did seem pretty hot to me.
Copp
Batches 12 and 9 typically get the best reviews. I personally really like both of them
Texas_Aggie91
AG
I have heard great things about batch 12. Waiting to hear about batch 14.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Just make sure the lid has the little cone stopper and you should be golden
GarlandAg2012
AG
These are the sample bottles I bought, I like them because they include a funnel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088R6QXPC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AGdent07
AG
Got some barrel pick news this week. Finally got the call and Four Roses/Russell's Reserve reps are coming into town this week and will be giving me info on picking a barrel. Due to Covid we will most likely receive samples from multiple barrels and can pick from them. Maybe in the future we can coordinate a trip and select a barrel in person. This is great news though knowing the limited availability. I am in the Houston area, so if any of you would like to partake in the barrel tasting and selection let me know. I'm thinking four or five of us can blind taste and share results.
EastTexAg14
AG
I'm in!

Email in profile if ya want to reach out!
htxag09
AG
In
First Page Last Page
Page 520 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.