Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,753,793 Views | 37596 Replies | Last: 42 min ago by AgDev01
LCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been to their distIllery a few times in Ledbetter. Great couple. They do have a cask strength only sold there. Was told they are moving to Brenham. Been a while though.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
I went out last Friday and bought a bottle of Old Tub based on the recommendation from a friend. After the first pour, I was ready to donate it to Cedar Park Waster Water Management.

Thought I would do a little experiment and put in a medium char honeycomb stave from Black Swan Cooperage and let it age for a week.

Took a pull of it last night and it was much more drinkable. Not quite as good as Early Time BiB, but good enough not to pour it down the drain.
SpiderDude
AG
Aggie Pharmer said:

I went out last Friday and bought a bottle of Old Tub based on the recommendation from a friend. After the first pour, I was ready to donate it to Cedar Park Waster Water Management.

Thought I would do a little experiment and put in a medium char honeycomb stave from Black Swan Cooperage and let it age for a week.

Took a pull of it last night and it was much more drinkable. Not quite as good as Early Time BiB, but good enough not to pour it down the drain.

I'll take it off your hands...I know where you live!
Aggie Pharmer
AG
SpiderDude said:

Aggie Pharmer said:

I'll take it off your hands...I know where you live!
LOL, we need to get together sometime in the near future.
Sazerac
AG
finally found and purchased a bottle of the BM cask
strohag
AG
If anybody is interested in this MB Roland let me know. Had one pour off the bottle and it's not my style. Buddy recommended it and I'm not a fan. Think I paid 45 or 50 bucks for it. Will trade or sell. I'm in northwest Houston and travel into town daily.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wdAU3LKKRrLrxPns9
CharlieBrown17
AG
Cracked an EC toasted tonight.

Good not great.

Really good but subtle nose. Enjoyed the palate but the finish is pretty weak.

Don't go chasing but it's a good 50 dollar bottle I'd buy again.
ThatOneGuy
AG
Got another reminder of how tough the Houston market is to secure stuff that is somewhat limited but not even that rare. I'm in Little Rock for a wedding and checked out a couple spots today. ECBP of multiple batches, bookers boston batch, Henry McKenna 10 year, larceny BP, EC toasted barrel, Bourye, Nikki Coffey grain, hibiki harmony all on the shelf basically at msrp. Plenty of others as well that I rarely see. I didn't buy all of this obviously but did get a few. More than one bottle of all of it as well except the toasted barrel. Still on the lookout for stagg jr and EHT rye to check off my list.
Superdave1993
AG
Stop poaching in my neck of the woods!

With that said we do have some on the shelf all the time due to the smaller population, but we get very little BT in the state. EHT and Stagg JR are usually hard to come by, and even plain old BT is rarely on the shelf. If I cross into MO or LA much better selection and quantity. We don't seem to have the issues that y'all have at Spec's and such. If you talk to the employees they normally have something they will tell you about. I have been told that another store has something, or been walked upstairs to the managers office to see all the allocated bottles between retail and secondary prices. It is crazy how the distribution goes and I have resorted to stopping at liquor stores when traveling just to see what they have.
ThatOneGuy
AG
I lived in LR for two years before this year so I still get home team status. The difference in distribution patterns and availability I see in my travels is interesting. My conclusion is that Houston gets the shaft as far as a meeting the amount of demand though.
Sazerac
AG
Not enough supply which creates prohibition style shenanigans with distributors and sales channels. It sucks!

I kinda think the distributors like it this way though...
Superdave1993
AG
I'll let it slide then. Cross Roads in Bryant is my local shop and they do lottery drawings several times a year. It is just off of I-30 when you are passing through. Colonial is my Little Rock shop. I have had the best luck in NE Arkansas small town shops when passing through.
ClickClack
AG
Is Bourye worth it at ~$80? There were a few bottles of it on the shelf last time I went..
Fall92
AG
The Whitmeyer's bourbon/rye is a much better value and perhaps even better.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Watching horses
AGdent07
AG
What's in the glass?
lazuras_dc
AG
Doing some mint juleps with Buffalo Trace for the derby.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
It's an old fashioned with Booker's
Gunner33
My girlfriend surprised me today with an EC Toasted Barrel.

Can't wait to crack it open
jaggiemaggie
AG
Has anyone shipped bottles to themselves back to Texas from another state? Looking for tips and Asking for a friend
SpiderDude
AG
Gunner33 said:

My girlfriend surprised me today with an EC Toasted Barrel.

Can't wait to crack it open

Just stopped at a mom and pop store in South Austin. Asked if they had it out of curiosity. He said they did... for the low price of $100 a bottle. I laughed and told him no thanks, I already scored one for $50 (and still think that was high). Whisky is crazy stupid right now. You'd think the rona would have mellowed out the market. Nope. If anything people are happier to blow that govt check on secondary bottles.
CharlieBrown17
AG
MSRP for the toasted is 49.99.
AGdent07
AG
A little late to the party but here's my pour for tonight in honor of the derby.
Wheatables02
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

Has anyone shipped bottles to themselves back to Texas from another state? Looking for tips and Asking for a friend

Use UPS or FedEx and place them in wine shippers or wine air bags surrounded by bubble wrap, packing paper, etc
SpiderDude
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Yeah... I'm not saying I paid markup... I'm saying after trying it it wasn't worth that imo.
Ornithopter
AG
SpiderDude said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Yeah... I'm not saying I paid markup... I'm saying after trying it it wasn't worth that imo.

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is a lot better.
SpiderDude
AG
That one's on my to do list!
Outdoorag011
If you could have one bottle the rest of your life... what would it be? For me it was down to WT rare breed or EHT small batch. I think EHT wins. I haven't tried many of the allocated bottles for any of the major brands so I'm limited in my choices but I really enjoy the EHT small batch.
SpiderDude
AG
Probably a well aged MGP Rye at cask strength.
mazag08
AG
Outdoorag011 said:

If you could have one bottle the rest of your life... what would it be? For me it was down to WT rare breed or EHT small batch. I think EHT wins. I haven't tried many of the allocated bottles for any of the major brands so I'm limited in my choices but I really enjoy the EHT small batch.

Red Spot
CharlieBrown17
AG
Parker's Heritage 11
CactusThomas
AG
That's a damn good one.
Wheatables02
AG
Outdoorag011 said:

Russell's Reserve pick
Naveronski
AG
Whatever happened to the "let's do a barrel"?
John Francis Donaghy
Outdoorag011 said:

I've had pretty much everything out there that people go nuts for these days, and honestly I don't think I'd pick any of them as my 1 bottle forever. They're good in their own ways, but each is too unique to stick with forever. They would all get old at some point.

My 1 bottle for the rest of my life would probably be Elijah Craig. Good, solid, basic, well done, well balanced, bourbon. Everything bourbon is supposed to be, and nothing more. I could have a glass every night forever and it would never get old.
First Page Last Page
Page 519 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.