Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,854,774 Views | 38565 Replies | Last: 20 sec ago by rca21978
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sazerac said:

Can you imagine living in a place where all this stuff was just sitting on shelves at MSRP whenever you wanted ??

On that note, I walked into a liquor store here in Napa.
Bunch of Blantons and Eagle Rare on the shelf.
Pressed for time so I didn't get to browse much, but headed back later.

How do I know what's a good value, and how much of each should I buy?
LPHA
AG
I'd love to participate, but I also know my palate. I know what I like and don't, but have a hard time describing all the little differences. If you can't find enough people, which I'm sure won't be the case, I'll be an alternate
Jdrexgman
AG
I'd like to participate!
Sazerac
AG
Prepare for 50 replies and just as many PMs.

Start seeing what people will offer to participate....
Johnsy3
AG
Thanks for coordinating all this. I'm in the Houston area so if for some reason you're having trouble rounding up 5 guys I am obviously willing to taste samples. I bet your inbox is booming
MW03
AG
AGdent07, I'm definitely cool with you selecting your team provided you're comfortable with everyone's bonafides. If you don't want to swing the hammer, then you could also have people in Houston that want to participate state their case here, and the 4-5 with the most blue stars make it on the committee. Otherwise, you're going to have 100+ people clamoring to join you, and I don't know if "first come, first serve" is the right choice for a barrel team. I know I'd pick something overly sweet if I was on that crew for most of the folks on this board.
mazag08
AG
AGdent07 said:

Got some barrel pick news this week. Finally got the call and Four Roses/Russell's Reserve reps are coming into town this week and will be giving me info on picking a barrel. Due to Covid we will most likely receive samples from multiple barrels and can pick from them. Maybe in the future we can coordinate a trip and select a barrel in person. This is great news though knowing the limited availability. I am in the Houston area, so if any of you would like to partake in the barrel tasting and selection let me know. I'm thinking four or five of us can blind taste and share results.

I'm in if schedule allows.
SpiderDude
AG
I'd love to get drunk on...errr professionally taste and score some samples. I do consider my whiskey pallet pretty on point but being from Austin probably puts me on the short bus.

Edit: I'm assuming if it's a Four Roses barrel it'll be at barrel strength correct?!
SpiderDude
AG
Yum, yum good. Picked up the Maker's barrel select today and quite happy with it. Moved onto Redbreast 12 cask strength. Brown sugar short bread...mmmmmmm

MW03
AG
Spider is out strictly because he'd insist on documenting the whole process for the gram.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I think contributions to this thread over time should be weighed heavily for deciding who gets to taste, and I say that as someone who has benefitted from this thread without contributing as much as I've gotten out. There are familiar names who deserve it more than randoms who want to score some good juice. Just imo.

John Francis Donaghy
GarlandAg2012 said:

I think contributions to this thread over time should be weighed heavily for deciding who gets to taste, and I say that as someone who has benefitted from this thread without contributing as much as I've gotten out. There are familiar names who deserve it more than randoms who want to score some good juice. Just imo.

I was about to post the same thing. Dent and Ducks definitely come to mind. Anything they have a hand in picking is going to be rock solid. Probably a couple others who deserve to be involved that are slipping my mind right now.
Johnsy3
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

I agree, speaking as a relative newbie
SpiderDude
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Sweet... I'm in then! No but seriously... this video made me lol...

RenoAg
Probably hard to eff up gettin a decent barrel from either of those 2 sources. I'd be more interested just in knowing the yeast recipe on the 4R. All the same or do you have any variation in what you get to taste?
CharlieBrown17
AG
RenoAg said:

Probably hard to eff up gettin a decent barrel from either of those 2 sources. I'd be more interested just in knowing the yeast recipe on the 4R. All the same or do you have any variation in what you get to taste?

IIRC 4R doesn't tell you recipe until after now
RenoAg
CharlieBrown17 said:

RenoAg said:

IIRC 4R doesn't tell you recipe until after now

Then let's roll the dice already. Orale!
Wheatables02
AG
SpiderDude said:

Yum, yum good. Picked up the Maker's barrel select today and quite happy with it. Moved onto Redbreast 12 cask strength. Brown sugar short bread...mmmmmmm

I love the RB 12 cask strength and haven't been able to find a bottle for about a year now in DFW
tx.ag11
AG
I'm available to help as well. Live in Houston. Thanks for coordinating!
SpiderDude
AG
It's definitely on the shelf in Austin. I could snag you one if you're going to be in the area in the near future?
MW03
AG
Man, I went down a rabbit hole watching that guy's videos last night. Pretty funny dude. I appreciate people that can poke a little fun at bourbon culture. The knobs on YT that take booze crazy serious drive me nuts.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

I was about to post the same thing. Dent and Ducks definitely come to mind. Anything they have a hand in picking is going to be rock solid. Probably a couple others who deserve to be involved that are slipping my mind right now.
Ducks
Wheatables02
AG
SpiderDude said:

It's definitely on the shelf in Austin. I could snag you one if you're going to be in the area in the near future?

I'm not but I appreciate the offer. I'll do one last check around here and let you know. If I strike out I can pay the shipping.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
The Twin Liquors in CS also has it in stock if you're ever in the area. I don't mind shipping either.
SpiderDude
AG
Try WB at Costco. I know they've had it. You don't need to be a Costco member to shop there.
62strat
AG
SpiderDude said:

Try WB at Costco. I know they've had it. You don't need to be a Costco member to shop there.
is this like a connected side store?

Costco near me sells liquor inside, and you definitely need a membership to get in. But some have a liquor store with separate entrance which is like you describe.

The difference is kirkland brand stuff. Connected stores don't have it; costco inside liquor does.
SpiderDude
AG
I'm assuming you don't live in Texas. Costco in Texas can't serve liquor just like grocery stores can't (they do sell beer and wine). My understanding is that in states where they sell in store you still DON'T need a Costco membership to purchase alcohol. You tell them at the door that's what you're there for and they have to let you in. It has something to do with right to purchase liquor without requiring membership dues I believe. Now I'm not 100% sure on that but I've read that somewhere before. Somebody else chime in if you know what I'm talking about.
SpiderDude
AG
Not necessarily...

https://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/money/6-things-you-can-do-at-costco-without-a-membership

Quote:

These states allow you to legally buy alcohol from Costco without a membership:

Arizona
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Hawaii
Indiana
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
New York
Texas
Vermont

jetch17
AG
It's a connected side store with name brand liquor

The booze department inside Costco only sells beer & wine
62strat
AG
SpiderDude said:

Not necessarily...

https://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/money/6-things-you-can-do-at-costco-without-a-membership

Quote:

These states allow you to legally buy alcohol from Costco without a membership:

Arizona
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Hawaii
Indiana
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
New York
Texas
Vermont

A list I didn't make.
SpiderDude
AG
Edit: Apparently you can't post memes of Matthew McConaughey from Dazed and Confused saying "You'd be a whole lot cooler if you did!" LOL... whatever.
62strat
AG
SpiderDude said:

Naveronski
AG
How are y'all judging what's a "good" price on secondary vs average? Just watching it over time?
MW03
AG
Naveronski said:

How are y'all judging what's a "good" price on secondary vs average? Just watching it over time?

Honestly, I think about it like tipping. I'll pay 20-25% over MSRP just to save myself the aggravation of finding it. Only one I've reached for is OWA. I'm realizing now I'm going to have to go over that for Stagg Jr if I'm gong to get it again. I've hunted that one in particular for nearly 3 years with no dice, and strictly because I don't want to pay double what it costs on the shelf.
SpiderDude
AG
Gonna let you in on a little tip. Keep your old empty Stagg Jr bottle and pour Rare Breed in there. Nobody'll every know the difference... in fact, they'll likely say "Hey, man... this is the best Stagg ever!"
First Page Last Page
Page 521 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.