Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,861,802 Views | 38631 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by Aggie Therapist
07fta07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Smith street had the ER picks in all sizes yesterday. I got a 1.75 at Rayford today. Not all locations are getting the picks and seems even fewer are getting the big boys. Most seem to be 375's.
austinag1997
AG
Boys, have to ask the real value of ER. I have had multiple ERs, some store picks. The folks at OLC in Austin sold their barrel in record time... less than 3 hrs. Do yall really think it is that good, or is this an overhyped buy?
Outdoorag011
In my opinion... it's the best bourbon for the money. I have regularly picked it up for $29.99 and for a 10 year old bourbon, you can't beat that. I personally love the flavor profile of it. Now in saying that, I have passed up ER multiple times when it's 50+ dollars. It's good but it's one of the only allocated bottles I can get pretty cheap so I don't spend much over msrp for it.
Sazerac
AG
IMO it's one of the best $30 bottles that should always be available. It's not, so makes it more desirable. There are bottles at $40 I like much more.

The HEaven Hill unsurprisingly is very similar to EC. Guessing it's the same mash, same juice. Nice pour, not worth the up charge over EC (which is always available) for me.
FTAco07
AG
I think it's definitely good bourbon, but not something rare or special enough to justify a big secondary market markup. If I see a bottle on the shelf I will buy it to drink as my everyday bourbon, but wouldn't go hunting for it.
jetch17
AG
A good, cheap pickup - chasing it around town or paying markup ... NOPE.

People posting crotch shots on bourbon boards and touting it as some unicorn are dumb buttholes
HouseDivided06
AG
As always the preference depends on the drinker. Eagle Rare's value, in my opinion, is how it is incredibly drinkable for basically anyone. It's a fantastic bottle for $30. It is NOT worth hunting for or paying more than retail for, again, in my opinion. There are other very good bottles in that range, that are frankly more flavorful and that I can find on the shelf any day: Elijah Craig Small Batch, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Makers Cask Strength, Early Times BIB, Wild Turkey 101, etc. Then if you increase your price point some you can get Old Forester 1910 or 1920 regularly, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, Rare Breed, etc. I have gotten to where I just don't enjoy bottles under 100 proof as much because of the diluted flavor, so while I enjoy Eagle Rare, I am not going to bend over backwards to find it, and I'm not going to pay anything more than retail for it. But again, it's all up to the end user. It ain't bad. It's just not worth the hype.
austinag1997
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

As always the preference depends on the drinker. Eagle Rare's value, in my opinion, is how it is incredibly drinkable for basically anyone. It's a fantastic bottle for $30. It is NOT worth hunting for or paying more than retail for, again, in my opinion. There are other very good bottles in that range, that are frankly more flavorful and that I can find on the shelf any day: Elijah Craig Small Batch, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Makers Cask Strength, Early Times BIB, Wild Turkey 101, etc. Then if you increase your price point some you can get Old Forester 1910 or 1920 regularly, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, Rare Breed, etc. I have gotten to where I just don't enjoy bottles under 100 proof as much because of the diluted flavor, so while I enjoy Eagle Rare, I am not going to bend over backwards to find it, and I'm not going to pay anything more than retail for it. But again, it's all up to the end user. It ain't bad. It's just not worth the hype.

Yeppers!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Great bang for the buck on ER. In other markets (not Texas) it's more easily found and a great $30 bottle.
Naveronski
AG
Thought about the "in other markets":

I'm headed to Napa in September for a wine trip with my wife.
Are there bourbons that are more easily available there that I should pick up, or exclusive to that region?
John Francis Donaghy
Naveronski said:

Thought about the "in other markets":

I'm headed to Napa in September for a wine trip with my wife.
Are there bourbons that are more easily available there that I should pick up, or exclusive to that region?

A number of bottles that are hard to find in Texas are shelf-sitters elsewhere. Last time I was in Napa area the bourbon aisle had Blantons, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Col Taylor bottles all sorting on the shelf at MSRP with literal dust on the bottles due to lack of interest. The insanity for these mid-shelf bottles doesn't exist everywhere like it does in Texas. That was late 2018, may be different now.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

People posting crotch shots on bourbon boards and touting it as some unicorn are dumb buttholes
The one I laugh at even more is the WSR crotch shots.
the dude10
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

The one I laugh at even more is the WSR crotch shots.

This is really a thing? I don't have Facebook, but I almost can't believe anybody would be so stupid
agcrock2005
AG
All the time. Easy to sort out the idiots that go buy everything they can because it's made by Buffalo Trace and they think they can make some money. I saw a WSR locked in a case next to a BTAC bottle not long ago. The demand created by all of these taters is insane.
DDSO
AG
Yea, I saw BT and WSR locked in a case last week sitting next to a Boss Hog. You had BT at at $22, WSR at $30 (I think) and Boss Hog at $426. Something just seemed off about that set up.
07fta07
AG
I saw guys last week taking pictures of WSR on the shelf to post to whatever Instagram or Facebook group.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'll echo what Donaghy said. You should be able to come across some BT and EHT bottles (at or near MSRP). Blantons is probably less consistent. Eagle Rare is not a rare find for $30.
Naveronski
AG
Thank you.

I'll see what they have, what we have room for (wine gets priority), and see what I can bring back for us.
agcrock2005
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I'll echo what Donaghy said. You should be able to come across some BT and EHT bottles (at or near MSRP). Blantons is probably less consistent. Eagle Rare is not a rare find for $30.
The last ER I saw on the shelf was about a year and a half ago in some **** hole town outside of DFW. Otherwise they're "rare" in DFW unfortunately. Awesome $30 bottle.
tlfw378
AG
Naveronski said:

Thank you.

I'll see what they have, what we have room for (wine gets priority), and see what I can bring back for us.

Wine get priority? Your priorities and mine don't align...
jetch17
AG
Beer gets my priority in Napa funnily enough
MW03
AG
jetch17 said:

jetch17
AG
Thats the one - among all the rest of the tasties
MW03
AG
Tangentially, looking for that photo took me to this website that has an article on "scarcity marketing" with Pliny as the example, and it is germane to the conversation earlier in the thread about Buffalo Trace products.

https://www.marketplace.org/2014/09/18/pliny-elder-case-study-scarcity-marketing/

From the article:

Quote:

"Scarcity has this effect of making people perceive products as more valuable simply for the fact that they're scarce," Eyal said.

He said it's not just psychological: Studies have shown it's physiological.

"They took a look at what was happening inside people's brains when they were trying wine of different price points," Eyal said.

In other words, some wines were more valuable and scarce than others. Eyal said its not that people just liked the most expensive wine.

"But their brains actually perceived the wine differently when they tasted the $90 wine versus the cheap wine," Eyal said. "And then they didn't tell the participants that it was the same wine all along."

Eyal said what's happening is that one piece of information that something is scarce is short-circuiting the brain. There's also the fact that scarcity makes for a good story. Eyal said if you tell people, "Hey, this beer uses high-quality hops and is made in small batches," nobody is going to remember that.

But if you say, "Hey, I have this crazy story about how you can buy a limited amount and can you believe it and the lines?"

jetch17
AG
i see that, well beer is a different bear (and can be saved for the beer thread) in that the beer scene is MUCH more tangible to get, even for sought after stuff in the fact you can pal up with a local and get it right to you from the source.

i know people have connection in the bourbon game, but not so much as anyone can go straight to the teet and ship you a case of top self sh*t from a distillery like folks can from a brewery (usually).

im sure the rarity across anything (like wine, whiskey, beer) enhances peoples view or taste to an extent - but theres also alot of people with more money than sense when it comes to that just for the status of it.
Naveronski
AG
I love beer too. What do I need to try out there?
Naveronski
AG
jetch17 said:

My wife has been wanting this trip for a while, so it's a combination of her birthday, our anniversary, and last "big" trip before kids.
jetch17
AG
Naveronski said:

I love beer too. What do I need to try out there?
Again i dont want to irk the bourbon threaders but:

Russian River Brewing Comapny is king - first class beers, Pliny the Elder, IPAs, killer sours. Original brewpub in Downtown Santa Rosa with killer food/pizzas, and a brand new Brewery in Windsor with big seating areas and good menu. both do to-go bottles, growlers etc - We usually hit these on the way over to Napa, particulalrly if coming from the Bay Area

Stone has a nice joint in downtown Napa

Seismic brewing is good
Naveronski
AG
I'll save the list. Thank you!
jh0400
AG
If you go to Windsor for RRBC you can stop at Bear Republic in Healdsburg. There is also a route up from SFO that takes you by Moylan's and Lagunitas.
Chipotlemonger
AG
jh0400 said:

If you go to Windsor for RRBC you can stop at Bear Republic in Healdsburg. There is also a route up from SFO that takes you by Moylan's and Lagunitas.
Bear Republic Healdsburg is no more. Their only location now is in Rohnert Park (between Santa Rosa and Petaluma).

To make it Bourbon related, there's a Sonoma Distilling Company with some whiskeys.

https://www.sonomadistillingcompany.com/
agcrock2005
AG
Enjoy it...my 2 and 3 year old boys wrecked my life.
CactusThomas
AG
Take it to the nerdery
Sazerac
AG
Emailed with an owner at Sazerac....unfortunately not going to be a big help on getting special treatment for the barrel. Said to work through a retailer, but if we get a date he will make sure we get a special tour.
austinag1997
AG
Sazerac said:

Emailed with an owner at Sazerac....unfortunately not going to be a big help on getting special treatment for the barrel. Said to work through a retailer, but if we get a date he will make sure we get a special tour.

Not sure who you talked to, but Bill Goldring is the man. Lives on St. Charles Ave. In NOLA. Know the man that used to own the wedding cake house on St. Charles Ave. Trust me, you wont change the current model. You wont change what they do.

The tour is what you pay for. There are 2 levels of tours at BT. Sorry to be the buzzkill.
First Page Last Page
Page 510 of 1104

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.