Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,866,973 Views | 38671 Replies | Last: 18 min ago by trouble
djmeen95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sazerac said:

One of my least favorite bottles

Such is life - one man's trash and all that.

AGdent07
AG
I've had dickel BIB before and thought it wasn't bad at all. It's got very polarizing feedback. Some people say it tastes like vitamins. I think it's good especially for the price and worth having to compare with others. I've found that sometimes I will completely dislike a bourbon and circle back later to get a whole different experience. If you like it drink it and enjoy.
djmeen95
AG
The latest release evidently is much different than the prior 13 year release. It doesn't have (in my opinion) an overpowering mineral / "flinstone vitamin" flavor that pushes some folks away from Dickel.

I found it balanced (sweet with a hint of oak) and smooth.

But I've had enough scotch, bourbon, whisky and whiskey (lol) to know that personal preference can vary widely.

That said - for $33 bucks this was a pleasant surprise to me.
SpiderDude
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CDzjcsmF5Nc

OLC's latest store pick. 123.7 proof 6 year MGP. Not too shabby. If you didn't know...George Remus is the new in house MGP bourbon brand. Rossville Union is their rye brand. I've already cracked mine open. I get notes of cherry and stone fruit a little bit of almond... faint cinnamon. Fairly smooth for that proof but still a noticeable burn. $62 out the door. Better than most of the **** you're chasing.
MW03
AG
Dickel BiB is one I didn't like until I let it sit a bit. It's great now with a little water.
MW03
AG
Got the chance to do a side by side tonight of Sazerac 18 and THHandy. Paid through the nose for the chance, but zero regrets. The Saz18 had way more spice, and the THH had a buttery quality that was incredible. I'd say I enjoyed the Saz18 more, but only just barely. Considering Saz18 goes for $2k on the secondary, and THH for $800, I think the THH is better, but its a joke. Moral of the story: if you find yourself at a bar with the ability to buy a pour, don't hesitate. Freaking delicious.
CharlieBrown17
AG
THH can be found for 400 on secondary. 800 would be for an older release.
MW03
AG
I did not ask to see the bottle, but it was delicious.
agcrock2005
AG
FWIW. Ican't stand that stuff.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Pretty polarizing juice it seems.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Pretty polarizing juice it seems.

I really enjoyed the first half and then had to drink the last half with sprite. Think if I had the patience to put it away for a while I might have come back around. Only bourbon I've had that happen with
tlfw378
AG
What was the cost of the pours?
SpiderDude
AG
Miracles do happen!!! Check it out... imagine spotting these at msrp...

https://instagr.am/p/CDz73TonW18
Sazerac
AgDev01
AG
Michigan is a control state isn't it? If so that explains it being on the shelf at retail but surprised there isn't a lottery. Stuff like the normal Eagle Rare and BT though are on the shelves here in VA everywhere at Retail

Edit didn't spot the THH at first glance.
AGdent07
AG
Imagine passing over the BTAC at retail and paying for the black maple hill only to get home and realize what a huge mistake that was.
Bunk Moreland
same in NC
jh0400
AG
You can get ER17 or THH at retail whenever you want?
AgDev01
AG
Missed those at first glance.
AGdent07
AG
SpiderDude said:

Miracles do happen!!! Check it out... imagine spotting these at msrp...

https://instagr.am/p/CDz73TonW18
So besides the obvious BTAC, what are the bottles that you would grab next?\

For me I would pick up that BouRye (I have enjoyed the bottle I have) and probably the Yippee Ki Yay (haven't had a chance to try it and heard it is being discontinued).
jh0400
AG
Yippee Ki Yay for sure. I killed my bottle last year and didn't replace it prior to the announcement that it was being discontinued.

I'd probably grab one of those High West Barreled Manhattans as well.

Gunner33
Huge fan of THH

Looking for a 2019 bottle of it on the other thread
Gunner33
Im eating dinner tonight, and I get a text from my local liquor shop guy. They have multiple locations. He tells me to head the store closest to my house and that they got something special. I leave immediately. When I get there I wait off to the side to speak to the guy working (not my connection), but knows me and knows what I like, but doesn't know the other guy texted me. There is a lady standing nearby with 2 bottles of wine. I let her go ahead of me. The worker is perusing his inventory list of their recent shipment and says "Weller?" At that point the lady's husband come around the corner with 2 bottles of bourbon and takes great interest as I cringe. I'm about to get beat out because I let the lady go first. The worker goes to the back with today's shipment and comes back with a bottle. The husband didn't recognize it, and said I could have it and asks about ECBP. I think he could see the look on my face. This store gets some good bottles but are up and down when it comes to their markup. He calls another partner to discuss price because he had never seen the bottle before either. Im fearing I'm about to get it stuck to me. He hangs up the phone and says the partner said $89, but I'll give it to you for $84. I said thank you very much, and carried my bottle of Weller Single Barrell home.

Today was a good day, and its good to build relationships with the local guys. Sorry for the long read.

Johnsy3
AG
I know there was Booker's talk a few days ago...
Ran into TL to get some more Rittenhouse and saw they had the newest batch of Booker's for $84. I stopped buying bookers because my last batch (2020-1) was $67 and that was 4 months ago
Sazerac
AG
Full Proof?
Gunner33
Single Barrell (orange label)

I cant post the picture.
Sazerac
AG
I have a THH. Wasn't planning on trading (never have) but maybe if I can get something in a similar class I haven't had....
lazuras_dc
AG
Weller SiB- pretty cool didn't even know they had that.
https://www.bourbonbanter.com/drink/drink-reviews/bourbon-reviews/weller-single-barrel-bourbon-review/#.XzXuDyQ1glQ

Gunner...MSRP is 49. You got hosed! /some texags posters

lazuras_dc
AG
Johnsy3 said:

I know there was Booker's talk a few days ago...
Ran into TL to get some more Rittenhouse and saw they had the newest batch of Booker's for $84. I stopped buying bookers because my last batch (2020-1) was $67 and that was 4 months ago

I've seen a handful of bookers around in the $70 range. Are people looking for bookers ?
Gunner33
Lol. On the secondary sites it sells for 600 to 650

I'm not a flipper. You won't see any of my bottles on those sites.
lazuras_dc
AG
Gunner33 said:

Lol. On the secondary sites it sells for 600 to 650

I'm not a flipper. You won't see any of my bottles on those sites.

It was a sarcastic post aimed at some of the msrp purists on here. That's a great find.
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
Ok, I'm a newb to Bourbon. Really just tried it because of COVID and this thread. Turns out it's pretty good and a decent hobby to mellow these "interesting times" we are stuck in. I'm really not into hunting for unicorns, my tastes are decidedly middle class.

Had a friend retire today. Aggie Engineer Class of '74. I've known him for almost 30 years. I've always viewed him as a mentor. He tried to hire me two different times earlier in my career and led me to my current position which is pretty much my dream job. I've been able to work with him the last 10 years and morph from a senior position into inheriting and building a business area that is more of a passion for both of us than a job. Needless to say, I respect him.

Today was his last "official" day at work and he came into the office to pick up the last few things and turn in his access badge to security. Because of Covid, we've only talked to each other on the phone since March. I made a point to come into the office today to see him.

I bought him a bottle of Heaven's Door mainly because of the name and good reviews. We're both very sarcastic by nature and always giving each other crap about something. He thought "Heaven's Door" was a nice joke for his retirement.

Luckily as we sat in his office today and opened it, we discovered that it is very smooth especially when shared between old friends and revisiting some of the other "interesting times" we've shared together.

TLDR: Smooth good bourbon at a decent price (in my opinion) and actually available in stores. Enjoy it with friends.
GarlandAg2012
AG
TrustTheAwesomeness said:

Ok, I'm a newb to Bourbon. Really just tried it because of COVID and this thread. Turns out it's pretty good and a decent hobby to mellow these "interesting times" we are stuck in. I'm really not into hunting for unicorns, my tastes are decidedly middle class.

Had a friend retire today. Aggie Engineer Class of '74. I've known him for almost 30 years. I've always viewed him as a mentor. He tried to hire me two different times earlier in my career and led me to my current position which is pretty much my dream job. I've been able to work with him the last 10 years and morph from a senior position into inheriting and building a business area that is more of a passion for both of us than a job. Needless to say, I respect him.

Today was his last "official" day at work and he came into the office to pick up the last few things and turn in his access badge to security. Because of Covid, we've only talked to each other on the phone since March. I made a point to come into the office today to see him.

I bought him a bottle of Heaven's Door mainly because of the name and good reviews. We're both very sarcastic by nature and always giving each other crap about something. He thought "Heaven's Door" was a nice joke for his retirement.

Luckily as we sat in his office today and opened it, we discovered that it is very smooth especially when shared between old friends and revisiting some of the other "interesting times" we've shared together.

TLDR: Smooth good bourbon at a decent price (in my opinion) and actually available in stores. Enjoy it with friends.

This is what it's all about, in my humble opinion.
austinag1997
AG
07fta07 said:

I've never been in a Spec's where they don't treat you like crap for asking about allocateds. If they'd put them on the shelf or actually use their points system as it's designed instead of holding them for the manager's friends, they'd get a lot less questions/complaints about it.

That said, the allocation game is ridiculous and then you have all these hoarders (flippers) who make it even worse. But Spec's is in the liquor business and people are trying to give them money for their products...and then they act like asses about it. Definitely makes me want to give my business to TW and other stores where they treat me well.

I have never been treated poorly at TW. Never got an allocate bottle there either. They just haven't been rude about it like has happened many times at certain Specs locations.
RaylanGivens
Gunner33 said:

Single Barrell (orange label)

I cant post the picture.

Gunner, are you in Houston? I wasn't sure we were gonna get the Weller SiB this early. You're a lucky man.

First Page Last Page
Page 507 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.