Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,838,551 Views | 38427 Replies | Last: 26 min ago by AlaskanAg99
Daytona22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is what bourbon is all about for me as well. The people you have the chance to share with and the memories you make. I still remember my first bourbon tasting. I was just getting into bourbon. It was completely wasted on me at the time but we tried the entire PVW and BTAC line up for $200/person. I'll never forget that night with my dad and brother in law. We finished the night with Promise of Hope and it has been my favorite bourbon since.
Gunner33
Yes, I'm in The Woodlands
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

we tried the entire PVW and BTAC line up for $200/person.
Sign me up for that one!
MW03
AG
tlfw378 said:

What was the cost of the pours?

$55 for an ounce of each. I was celebrating though.
MW03
AG
Finished my Knob Creek Rye Single Barrel (Goody Goody pick), and it was truly an exceptional bottle. Lots of buttered popcorn on the front end, plenty of spicy oak, and really pleasant "Nutella" finish that lingers. I love the proofing at 115 and enjoyed it neat. Great bottle I got for less than $60.
CharlieBrown17
AG
MW03 said:

tlfw378 said:

What was the cost of the pours?

$55 for an ounce of each. I was celebrating though.

55 per oz or 55 for 2 oz?

55 for 2oz isn't terrible for BTAC.

Edit: especially if one is Saz 18
MW03
AG
It was $55 for a two ounce pour of either, but the bartender offered me one ounce of each for the same price so I could compare them. I regret nothing.
MW03
AG
Speaking of that THH, Knob Rye SB is a good approximation for the price. It's not as good of course, but reminiscent at least.
Sazerac
AG
I don't see that comparison

The EHT Rye has a similar profile to THH though.
AgDev01
AG
The last bottle of EHT rye i had was the only bottle I've ever bought where i think of got a defective product. I have no clue what happened but it tasted like pure ass. Strange because I had a bottle I bought at the same store at the same time that was great.
Wheatables02
AG
Sazerac said:

I don't see that comparison

The EHT Rye has a similar profile to THH though.
The only thing I've had that is similar to THH is Sazerac 18, Booker's Rye, and Willett Ryes older than 8 years. Nothing else compares.
the dude10
AG
It's hard to beat THH for me. That combination of spicy rye greatness with that buttery mouthfeel is at the top of the whiskey mountain
SpiderDude
AG
I think MGP is my favorite distillery! There...I said it! Yeah... that includes you BT! I see you hiding over there with your entire lineup of allocated bottles... **** you! I've never had a bottle of MGP juice I didn't love or at least like. And while people are hunting for tater bait from KY I'll be enjoying my love affair with you and your glorious juice straight outta Lawrenceburg, Indiana. Cheers!
tlfw378
AG
Nothing wrong with that. I appreciate you letting me know. I generally buy bottles to drink over the nice bar/dinner screen. But reality says there will be flavors I never taste if I don't purchase at the bar.
jh0400
AG
The good MGP stuff stands up well against most distilleries. The lower end stuff that TW and others sell at a premium price point gives it a bad rap. Two of my favorite bottles in my cabinet right now are a Belle Meade Reserve Cask Strength and a 14 yo rye that was released as a WP10 private Barrel.
MJ20/20
AG
Interesting. What are your favorite MGP offerings? Did you get that Remus OLC pick?
GarlandAg2012
AG
Not a bad little weekend at the river

jh0400
AG
All the MGP talk put me in the mood for this.

AGdent07
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Not a bad little weekend at the river

One of those is not like the other
Sazerac
AG
Yeah, that Dickel is undrinkable
CactusThomas
AG
The foursquare looks delicious
lazuras_dc
AG
Anyone had Old Forester birthday bourbon? How hard is that to obtain at msrp?
SpiderDude
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Hard.
SpiderDude
AG
MJ20/20 said:

Interesting. What are your favorite MGP offerings? Did you get that Remus OLC pick?

Yes. If there's some left on Monday I'm gonna grab a backup bottle! Possibly my favorite bottle on my bar is a Pinhook Single Barrel (from OLC) that is MGP juice.

Edit: And the Rossville Union BP is possibly the best rye I've had...as good or better than EHT, Michters BP, WP10 picks, etc.
AGdent07
AG
lazuras_dc said:

One of my personal favorites. Nearly impossible to find at retail.
KyleJ2012
AG
SpiderDude said:

MJ20/20 said:

Yes. If there's some left on Monday I'm gonna grab a backup bottle! Possibly my favorite bottle on my bar is a Pinhook Single Barrel (from OLC) that is MGP juice.

Is that the yellow Pinhook store pick from OLC?
Sazerac
AG
I have the Pinhook high proof (hot pink) and it is terrible.
SpiderDude
AG
Yes.
agcrock2005
AG
lazuras_dc said:

About same as getting W12 for $29.
tlepoC
AG
So...easy?
lazuras_dc
AG
Haha ok let me change my statement then. How far above msrp should one expect to pay to get a birthday bourbon ? Anyone have any wanting to sell/trade ? (I know there's a trading thread but we already started talking about it here)
agcrock2005
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Haha ok let me change my statement then. How far above msrp should one expect to pay to get a birthday bourbon ? Anyone have any wanting to sell/trade ? (I know there's a trading thread but we already started talking about it here)
I'm in a DFW group and I just did a quick search. There are a couple Fireballs in the last week for 2015 bottles at $72 and 80 per pick (valuation of $720-800). Another 2016 bottle was offered up at $600. 2019 Fireball at $60/pick ($600 valuation). Hope that helps.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
lazuras_dc
AG
Cool. Thanks guys.
What does the term fireball mean when you're referring to these bottles?
And with that I'm assuming you're not being sarcastic and referring to fireball cinnamon whiskey or something.
First Page Last Page
Page 508 of 1098

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.