Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,863,599 Views | 38665 Replies | Last: 25 min ago by Pac1698
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was a bourbon hunter once upon a time. My wife even managed to find a GTS at MSRP on a shelf back around 2012. Some time around 2014 or so, I got really fed up with the scene. Got back into it again, then got fed up again, etc.

In the recent past, I have gotten back into it more casually. I go get the unicorns if I get good intel of where I can find them, but my days of scouring the stores and trying to cozy up to the owners are long gone. I've started to enjoy the good bottles you can find, and the labels I used to ignore for no other reason that I was being a little snobby about it all.

Anyway, this is kind of a non sequitur, but consider it a vote that folks out there should try the things Makers, Woodford, Knob Creek, etc are putting out there. I really enjoyed the Bulleit blenders bottle I recent picked up. I think Knob 12 and Knob Rye Cask are excellent. I think Woodford Double Oak is definitely worth the price. Huge fan of Rare Breed by Wild Turkey. Makers 46 is very solid. Etc.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Very excited for the rare breed rye this fall
showtime
AG
That squatty ol Rip looks familiar
Wheatables02
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

cclearman said:

I look forward to never being able to find any of those bottles.

. I have several KC120 15 yr picks in the cabinet right now without trying to
humble brag?
Sazerac
AG
The KC single barrel I have is 14 years. It's fantastic.
I would bet their KC 15 is the same batch

austinag1997
AG
Will look for #5 and 11.
austinag1997
AG
Nevermind. The Brown Forman 150 yr release will be a Jack Daniels release it appears.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Wheatables02 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

cclearman said:

I look forward to never being able to find any of those bottles.

. I have several KC120 15 yr picks in the cabinet right now without trying to
humble brag?

I guess you could take it that, I meant it more to show that there's a lot of them on the market right now. Or rather, there were for a time
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Gauging interests:

-would someone trade a Lot B for a 4RLE130 & a RHF?
-same for ER17 (2015) & GTS (2017) for PVW15?
Kool
AG

It's finally Friday!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AGdent07
AG
Elijah Craig recently released a rye but I haven't seen/heard about it being in Texas.

Any of you have any luck with finding Elijah Craig BP? I found batch C919 but I would like to find another. If anybody has one they would like to trade/sell let me know.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
AggBock
AG
Where are you? I have 2 batch 120 and would sell one. I'm in Fort Worth area.
AGdent07
AG
AggBock said:

Where are you? I have 2 batch 120 and would sell one. I'm in Fort Worth area.
Thanks. I sent you a PM
CharlieBrown17
AG
No idea what their plans to increase distro are but EC rye was released in Jan only to the Carolinas, Georgia and Oregon
AggBock
AG
I was out hunting today and talked to an employee of Total in Fort Worth on north side. He told me they don't let employees buy allocated and that they don't even get to know when it is coming out so they can't call friends. Then another manager heard us a chimed in. He said they are just putting it out at random times to get rid of all the whiskey hunters. Everything I was looking for appeared to be allocated. Going is tough on the hunt these days.
SpiderDude
AG
MW03 said:

I was a bourbon hunter once upon a time. My wife even managed to find a GTS at MSRP on a shelf back around 2012. Some time around 2014 or so, I got really fed up with the scene. Got back into it again, then got fed up again, etc.

In the recent past, I have gotten back into it more casually. I go get the unicorns if I get good intel of where I can find them, but my days of scouring the stores and trying to cozy up to the owners are long gone. I've started to enjoy the good bottles you can find, and the labels I used to ignore for no other reason that I was being a little snobby about it all.

Anyway, this is kind of a non sequitur, but consider it a vote that folks out there should try the things Makers, Woodford, Knob Creek, etc are putting out there. I really enjoyed the Bulleit blenders bottle I recent picked up. I think Knob 12 and Knob Rye Cask are excellent. I think Woodford Double Oak is definitely worth the price. Huge fan of Rare Breed by Wild Turkey. Makers 46 is very solid. Etc.

I like you...
agcrock2005
AG
AggBock said:

I was out hunting today and talked to an employee of Total in Fort Worth on north side. He told me they don't let employees buy allocated and that they don't even get to know when it is coming out so they can't call friends. Then another manager heard us a chimed in. He said they are just putting it out at random times to get rid of all the whiskey hunters. Everything I was looking for appeared to be allocated. Going is tough on the hunt these days.

Didn't you just start hunting in the last couple months? What you're experiencing is normal. Lots of folks try to buy up what they hear is cool and it makes it hard for others who actually want to drink it. Drives up prices and is annoying for people who actually want to drink the bourbon. It's the reason WSR is not on the shelves anymore.
AGdent07
AG
Went to Whiskey Cake tonight with some friends and was very surprised at how much of their bourbon selection was depleted. Lots of things listed on their menu but not in stock. I tried to order Elmer T, 1792 high rye, and Michters barrel strength but all were gone. Ended up with a pour of EHT barrel proof (wanted to give it another try and was much more pleased this time with it) and Elijah Craig BP. The Elijah Craig had a lot more flavor to it and I would give it the edge.

Anybody else try anything good tonight?
William Larue Weller
AG
AggBock said:

This is why i hate Total Wine and have shifted my business over to Spec's. TW managers are *******s.
Baby Billy
AG
Trump 2020 said:

AggBock said:

This is why i hate Total Wine and have shifted my business over to Spec's. TW managers are *******s.

I'll never go to total wine again after they rushed me out of their store a few weeks ago for "browsing". If you want me to buy something from your ****ing store, then let me browse until I make my decision.

The store manager literally came up to me after I was in the store for 10 minutes and said "make your selection, no browsing".

I left without buying anything
Buck Compton
AG
ehrmantraut said:

Trump 2020 said:

AggBock said:

I'll never go to total wine again after they rushed me out of their store a few weeks ago for "browsing". If you want me to buy something from your ****ing store, then let me browse until I make my decision.

The store manager literally came up to me after I was in the store for 10 minutes and said "make your selection, no browsing".

What does that even mean? What are they trying to prevent?
trouble
AG
I've spent plenty of time browsing there before. Are you sure it wasn't just because of this beer virus bull*****
John Francis Donaghy
Yeah, now isn't exactly the time to be out casually browsing store shelves to pass time.
RaylanGivens
ehrmantraut said:

Trump 2020 said:

AggBock said:

We're you coughing up a lung, sneezing in your hand and then touching every bottle?
GarlandAg2012
AG
Trump 2020 said:

AggBock said:

What about that policy upsets you? I'd rather have it be random chance than managers buddies getting all the good stuff.
Baby Billy
AG
RaylanGivens said:

ehrmantraut said:

Trump 2020 said:

AggBock said:

We're you coughing up a lung, sneezing in your hand and then touching every bottle?

No, there were signs all over the store that said "No Browsing". I'll be over that way today and take a picture
agcrock2005
AG
So there were signs all over the store saying "No Browsing" and you're mad that you were told to stop browsing?
Buck Compton
AG
ehrmantraut said:

RaylanGivens said:

ehrmantraut said:

Trump 2020 said:

AggBock said:

No, there were signs all over the store that said "No Browsing". I'll be over that way today and take a picture
Yeah, seems like that's a temporary measure for COVID. I'm sure the manager could have been nicer about it, but we should cut people some slack and I don't think you should be too upset about it right now.
trouble
AG
Welcome to life in the time of Corona. Lots of places are discouraging browsing.
CactusThomas
AG
I've never seen any store discourage browsing
Baby Billy
AG
Sorry, it was twin liquors, not total wine.

SpiderDude
AG
ehrmantraut said:

Trump 2020 said:

AggBock said:

Just tell him you're there to buy BTAC but haven't located it yet.
CharlieBrown17
AG
agcrock2005 said:

So there were signs all over the store saying "No Browsing" and you're mad that you were told to stop browsing?

And went back today to browse
First Page Last Page
Page 450 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.