Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,713 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by ryeguy
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sounds good. Prob only an ounce gone from it.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Trump 2020 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

EHTBP RHF is pretty close in secondary right now honestly

Idk what secondary you're looking at... I'm seeing RHF going for about $225 and EHTBP for about $375-400

EHTBP is really batch dependent.

I guess it could've skyrocketed recently but the new batches have been in the 275 range pretty consistently and the older batches 350-400.
agcrock2005
AG
PREFACE: I know what MSRP is. How crazy is $200 for Blanton's Black and $165 for Blanton's Special Reserve. I bought a few bottles of special reserve from a guy in Belgium last year for $135. He's now at $165 and offered up the black for $200. I never see these bottles in any of the groups I'm in so wanted to hear your thoughts. He also had Four Roses "Super Premium" for $185 which I hadn't heard of. Apparently it's the 4R they send to Japan.
Goodest Poster
AG
agcrock2005 said:

PREFACE: I know what MSRP is. How crazy is $200 for Blanton's Black and $165 for Blanton's Special Reserve. I bought a few bottles of special reserve from a guy in Belgium last year for $135. He's now at $165 and offered up the black for $200. I never see these bottles in any of the groups I'm in so wanted to hear your thoughts. He also had Four Roses "Super Premium" for $185 which I hadn't heard of. Apparently it's the 4R they send to Japan.

Got rid of a Blantons black yesterday for 250. I think the black is much sweeter than the reserve. If you like it get it, life is too short to gripe about a few bucks.
agcrock2005
AG
jftx04 said:

agcrock2005 said:

Got rid of a Blantons black yesterday for 250. I think the black is much sweeter than the reserve. If you like it get it, life is too short to gripe about a few bucks.
Don't have to preach to me about life being too short...just opened a black last night in celebration of still being alive. I really didn't have any idea as to what the "market" is pricing these at though because I never see them for sale. Thanks for the info on your sale. Did you sell yours on a FB group?
Latrobe
AG
So I am going to do my first blind tasting. I'm relatively new to this but have tried enough to really start tasting some differences and start developing some preferences...so I figured it was time!

I plan to taste 5 at this sitting, Someone else will do the pours and numbering.

I will take down some notes and rank them. I am thinking of putting my top two in my next blind tasting in order to really come up with a top 3 or 4 by the end of all this.

Any advice or direction on the lineup (or procedure) for tomorrow night is appreciated!

Here are the candidates:

Blantons
Angels Envy
Weller Antique 107
Woodford Double Oaked
Knob Creek small batch rye
Balcones Texas Bock
Eagle Rare
Woodford Reserve
Willet (pot still reserve)
Smooth Ambler Old Scout (not the old one)

AggBock
AG
If anyone in Fort Worth area is looking for an ECBP, please pm me. I have an extra and looking to trade for Blantons
betadawg1
AG
These are a few of the bourbons only released in Japan. A couple mentioned previously.

agcrock2005
AG
Speaking of the person I got my black and red from...you must have a Japanese connection!
betadawg1
AG
I travel a lot.... or I did.
MJ20/20
AG
One suggestion I would make is to try and match the proof up the proof the best you can.
CactusThomas
AG
MJ20/20 said:

One suggestion I would make is to try and match the proof up the proof the best you can.

Agree with this. Important to compare apples to apples.

I usually try to choose a group of bourbons with similar proof and varying availability to see if the hype is justified.
Latrobe
AG
I appreciate the suggestion!
AGdent07
AG
I picked up a bottle of Larceny BP recently. Opened it up and was not a big fan. It's a high proof wheated bourbon. Circled back to it today and was surprised at how much more I enjoyed it this go around. For the price I would recommend picking it up if you come across it.
William Larue Weller
AG
betadawg1 said:

These are a few of the bourbons only released in Japan. A couple mentioned previously.

BIN!
Baby Billy
AG
I'm in my late 20's, and have hated bourbon for a while now.. I guess since college, but started reading this thread about a month ago to see what the good stuff is so I could give it an honest shot again.

So far, in the past few weeks, I've picked up Four Roses SB, Woodford Double Oak, and Rittenhouse Rye (for OF).

I've REALLY come to enjoy having a glass or two in the evenings on the back porch with some good music to get my mind off of work.

Im going back to Spec's today for another bottle to add to the collection. Any suggestions?
agcrock2005
AG
Go back a couple pages and there was a question about "what are your top 5 readily available bourbons"...something like that. You'll find a lot of suggestions from several people.
Goodest Poster
AG
agcrock2005 said:

jftx04 said:

agcrock2005 said:

Don't have to preach to me about life being too short...just opened a black last night in celebration of still being alive. I really didn't have any idea as to what the "market" is pricing these at though because I never see them for sale. Thanks for the info on your sale. Did you sell yours on a FB group?

No sir, i dont do facebook. There are a handful of people that ask me to find stuff.
Goodest Poster
AG
Latrobe said:

So I am going to do my first blind tasting. I'm relatively new to this but have tried enough to really start.

I plan to taste 5 at this sitting, Someone else will do the pours and numberimy.

Here are the candidates:

Blantons
Angels Envy
Weller Antique 107
Woodford Double Oaked
Balcones Texas Bock
Eagle Rare
Woodford Reserve

Make sure you eat something AND have water to cleanse ur palate each time. I would suggest you do 3 or 4 at a time. I would also suggest you do a second test where u had some water (it helps break it down) about an hour ahead of time once you have found your top 3. It will open the stuff up to the point u better taste individual components, but shouldnt be part of the initial. A few of those it wont make a difference. Make sure whomever helps you doesnt mess up the "blind" part. Expensive messup potentially..haha.
Have fun
BeardofZeus01
AG
If you're going to Specs's and its available, grab a bottle of Belle Meade Reserve Cask Strength. A higher proof that what you've had so far, but a great bottle for the price IMO.
SpiderDude
AG
Latrobe said:

So I am going to do my first blind tasting. I'm relatively new to this but have tried enough to really start tasting some differences and start developing some preferences...so I figured it was time!

I plan to taste 5 at this sitting, Someone else will do the pours and numbering.

I will take down some notes and rank them. I am thinking of putting my top two in my next blind tasting in order to really come up with a top 3 or 4 by the end of all this.

Any advice or direction on the lineup (or procedure) for tomorrow night is appreciated!

Here are the candidates:

Blantons
Angels Envy
Weller Antique 107
Woodford Double Oaked
Balcones Texas Bock
Eagle Rare
Woodford Reserve

Not to be Captain Obvious but several of those are completely different whiskey categories. It's your tasting so do it however the **** you want but just keep that in mind! If you want to stick to bourbon I'd cut out the rye and Texas Bock (straight malt). Speaking of the Texas Bock. It's very unique. I like it but it almost tastes like cinnamon whiskey to me! Anyone else tried it?
SpiderDude
AG
cjaetzold said:

If you're going to Specs's and its available, grab a bottle of Belle Meade Reserve Cask Strength. A higher proof that what you've had so far, but a great bottle for the price IMO.

This is on my "To Do List"!
Texas_Aggie91
AG
I'm a big fan of Old Forester 1910 and 1920
txaggie05
AG
Did a blind tasting of cheap wheaters last night between Makers, Larceny and WSR just for the hell of it. A little surprised with how the rankings shook out for me:

1) Larceny
2) Makers Mark
3) Weller
mazag08
AG
Here's some recent label approvals through the TTB..

1. Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel

https://www.bourbinsane.com/elijah-craig-toasted-barrel-bourbon-coming-soon/

2. Colonel E.H. Taylor 18 Year Marriage

3. Woodford Reserve Master's Collection Very Fine Rare NO. 16

4. Leanderthal / Square Peg Distilling - You May All Go To Hell I'm Going To Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Small spirit distiller out of Leander, TX entering the whiskey game.

5. Brown-Foreman 150th Anniversary - Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Looks like a release of some sort honoring the anniversary. I think its Old Forrester.

6. Ezra Brooks TBD - can't find any info but label was approved.

7. Knob Creek 15 Year

8. Benchmark

Buffalo Trace bottom shelf brand is coming out with small batch, single barrel, bonded, full proof, and top floor bottles.

9. Old Forrester Single Barrel 100 Proof and Barrel Proof

10. Little Book Chapter 4

11. Sazerac Rye Single Barrel?

12. Buffalo Trace Wheated
Latrobe
AG
I appreciate the response! To me, there's no such thing as a captain obvious when it comes to this. I've only been getting into whiskey for about 6 months. But I'm certain that 10 years from now, I'll still be learning!

I'll definitely separate out the rye whiskeys for their own tasting later. Gonna match the proofs best I can and make damn sure my labeler isn't on her fourth glass of wine when she lines everything up for me! I think I'll start with 4...
CharlieBrown17
AG
That Ezra Brooks label is probably the SiB (I believe barrel proof) they're doing for store picks now.
Sazerac
AG
I look forward to never being able to find any of those bottles.
DDSO
CharlieBrown17
AG
cclearman said:

I look forward to never being able to find any of those bottles.

Honestly I'd bet half of that list won't be terribly hard to find.

Seems like the woodford master collections usually sit.

Can't see the benchmark crap flying off shelves after the first couple shipments

The store picks will depend on if you have a store worth a damn near by

The new KC12 seems to be on shelves regularly, with KC limiting 120 picks for now I can see the 15 being on shelves as well. I have several KC120 15 yr picks in the cabinet right now without trying to
CharlieBrown17
AG
No idea if the EC toasted barrel is a limited release or a line expansion.
CactusThomas
AG
15 years is too old for KC in my experience. Over oaked.

I like the 9 and 12 year 100 proof bottles. Both are good but I'm not sure I like the 12 better, its just different.

9 year single barrel 120 proof is my favorite KC. I like it better than the 14 and 15 year picks that I've had.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
killed a bottle, cracked a bottle. 1989 Turkey, 2012 Old Rip.

mazag08
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Ya there's no info on it yet. But it's probably the one I'm most interested in. Pretty much following the Woodford Double Oaked model, except starting with longer aged juice before going into the toasted barrel.
CharlieBrown17
AG
mazag08 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Ya there's no info on it yet. But it's probably the one I'm most interested in. Pretty much following the Woodford Double Oaked model, except starting with longer aged juice before going into the toasted barrel.

It must be going into distro relatively soon. My guy has a good relationship with his HH dude and was told he would get it. I'll try to get a timeline from him
First Page Last Page
Page 449 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.