Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,850,997 Views | 38528 Replies | Last: 22 sec ago by Science Denier
MJ20/20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going to be up in the Arlington area this weekend. Any good honey holes around that I should visit?
aggielostinETX
AG
MW03 said:

Any of yall ever made "Poorer Man's Pappy"? Apparently it's a blend of Larceny and Maker's Cask.

It used to be W12 and 107 in a char barrel for a month. Haven't done it in awhile but wasn't impressed when I did.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

It used to be W12 and 107 in a char barrel for a month. Haven't done it in awhile but wasn't impressed when I did.
Probably because on secondary that combination would cost you almost as much as Pappy these days. Ridiculous.
Sazerac
AG
No eagle rare on the west side today at the usual rotation of TW specs and Costco.
Just an FYI.

I paid 25% markup and packed it in a duffel on a plane just to get a bottle....
SweaterVest
AG
Go to mom and pop stores in the ghetto. It's fairly easily found.
MW03
AG
Deats said:

MW03 said:

Any of yall ever made "Poorer Man's Pappy"? Apparently it's a blend of Larceny and Maker's Cask.

That's Poor Man's Pappy. This is supposedly "Poorer Man's Pappy". Anyway, if this takes of, that's officially a buy on Larceny and Maker's Cask for trading purposes. I saw it pop up in a bourbon group I follow.
Sazerac
AG
I tried that. Guess I went too ghetto. After he buzzed me in, found nothing in glass bottles, told him what I was looking for, and he just laughed.

Tried a step up and they said everything was allocated to their best customers....

aggielostinETX
AG
MW03 said:

Deats said:

MW03 said:

That's Poor Man's Pappy. This is supposedly "Poorer Man's Pappy". Anyway, if this takes of, that's officially a buy on Larceny and Maker's Cask for trading purposes. I saw it pop up in a bourbon group I follow.

Didn't know that was a thing...
howdyags12!
AG

Found this today at the Costco at 99 and I-10.
“The seeds of defeat are sown on the night of victory” Elon Musk
howdyags12!
AG
https://i.imgur.com/6LajVZF.img
howdyags12!
AG
Having issues posting pictures.. dammit!!

Found Heaven Hill Bottled-In-Bond 100 proof at the Katy Costco liquor store at 99 and I-10 and they still had a few bottles around 5pm today. $48ish and they would only allow me to buy one bottle..
AgDev01
AG

Here you are:

Sazerac
AG
Best thing at Bunker Hill was Woodford DO for $50
howdyags12!
AG
Thanks AgDev!!
SpiderDude
AG
howdyags12! said:

Found Heaven Hill Bottled-In-Bond 100 proof at the Katy Costco liquor store at 99 and I-10 and they still had a few bottles around 5pm today. $48ish and they would only allow me to buy one bottle..

I paid $40.
RenoAg
I'm reminded tonight and becoming more and more convinced that 4R store pics are the best value in bourbon. Assuming you can get your hands on em which is a shame in today's bourbon world. But if you can and it's not crazy impossible or crazy expensive if you go secondary markets... Good variety in yeast recipes to try. Good complexity of flavors in each bottle. Nice punch in the mouth at cask strength. Try these and then sip up against a wheater like Blantons SFTB or Makers Cask Strength for that caramel. Contrast is dramatic. Helps you develop a sense of the difference in my opinion. Honorable mention for value ... I'm down to my last unopened bottle of Michters Rye Barrel Strength... but if you can get one of these and the last time I checked, secondary wasn't too crazy yet.... this stuff is fantastic. Handy too but you ain't gettin that for full on secondary in the vast majority of cases so I can't think of it as a value. Sazerac very overrated imo. Van Winkle Rye is actually best of all the Van Winkles but it damn sure ain't no value. Then again I like WT 101. Not the best but it's more than up to the task. So eff all this and just buy you some of that. Save yourself the trouble if you just gettin into this bourbon game. Stick with that. You poor *******s if you just startin in to this. Just stay away from the very average bourbon (at best) marketed as a something new or special with a new shiny pretty label or bottle.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Used to be about 5-6 years ago, they've really crept up in price where I'm at. RR picks are the better value IMO.
SweaterVest
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Used to be about 5-6 years ago, they've really crept up in price where I'm at. RR picks are the better value IMO.

The last couple of 4R store picks I purchased were $65-$70 I think, compared to $55 for RR. I think RR is a great value but the 4R picks are typically much higher proof and I've had some that are absolutely fantastic. If I'm going to buy a RR pick it's going to be from a group or store with a solid picking reputation. For 4R picks though I'll usually grab them whenever I see them for the diverse recipes and quality.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I haven't had a 4R pick in years that was memorable.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Agreed on 4R picks. At 70-80 like a lot of stores are at now, I'll pass.

Especially with the number of 8-9 yr picks on the market at that price. I'll keep stocking up on ECBP at 55-60 instead.
dmart90
AG
SpiderDude said:

howdyags12! said:

I paid $40.

Where?
SpiderDude
AG
dmart90 said:

SpiderDude said:

howdyags12! said:

I paid $40.

Where?

It was actually my BiL that picked it up. $39.99 at Twin Liquor in Westgate in South Austin. No, it wasn't dollar days. I traded him for an Angel's Envy that I DID purchase at dollar day pricing.
MW03
AG
I have a Whistlepig 15 rye that's really good, but I still prefer Willet Estate 4y, especially at the price. It's the only bottle I buy multiples of when I find it.
austinag1997
AG
Willett Rye 4 yr has improved over the past 5 years.

I have a bottle of Boss Hog, and a bottle of Willett 4 yr Rye open. Both are very good. One was notably more expensive.
jh0400
AG
The only WP I will buy are the Alberta barrels. There are much better deals on MGP rye.
AgDev01
AG
Anyone tried the Baker's single barrel yet?

Saw a couple of the new bottles today at my local ABC store and debated grabbing one.
HouseDivided06
AG
Yes I've grabbed one. Now granted I never bought the old Bakers but figured it was worth a shot to try the new one. I enjoyed it but wasn't mind blowing. Many others I'm a fan of in that price point but wasn't bad by any stretch. Worth the money but nothing incredibly memorable either.
SpiderDude
AG
jh0400 said:

The only WP I will buy are the Alberta barrels. There are much better deals on MGP rye.

Educate me please... how do you know it's an Alberta barrel?!
AgDev01
AG
Thanks. Ill probably end up grabbing a bottle eventually. Ended up going with the latest ECBP over this today. I liked the old small batch Baker's well enough but it one of those that there was usually something else i would grab instead at that price point.
HouseDivided06
AG
If it was priced a little lower it would be a damn solid bottle. ECBP is definitely the better bottle for the price. My current favorite readily available around that price is Belle Mead Cask Strength Reserve. So much more flavor.
Sazerac
AG
Popped into into a place off Eldridge in West Houston today while running errands. Pretty awesome range of bottles...but didn't have Buffalo Trace, much less Eagle Rare or Blantons....just to point out the lack of supply.

Having an awesome oak smoked Manhatten right now. Like a bourbon cherry toasted marshmallow.

jh0400
AG
If it's a barrel pick I usually ask or check the origin on the label.
mazag08
AG
I actually had Buffalo Trace the other day at a bar for the first time in years. I was amazed at how much I just didn't enjoy it. Flavor was ok, but there is just far better stuff at the same price point. Maybe I had a sour taste..
CharlieBrown17
AG
jh0400 said:

If it's a barrel pick I usually ask or check the origin on the label.

I wouldn't necessarily trust the origin on the label for WP picks. I've had a few that were labeled as Canadian but we're MGP.
jh0400
AG
I have one as well, but they've been better about the labels. Best bet is to ask.
First Page Last Page
Page 428 of 1101

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.