Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,831,873 Views | 38338 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Tksymm7
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mazag08 said:

I actually had Buffalo Trace the other day at a bar for the first time in years. I was amazed at how much I just didn't enjoy it. Flavor was ok, but there is just far better stuff at the same price point. Maybe I had a sour taste..

How were you drinking it? I bought a handle of BT to use as a daily drinker/mixing bourbon. Everything else I sip neat.
Johnsy3
AG
It's not bourbon, but I picked up a Whistlepig 12 year World Cask - a mix of Madeira, Sauternes, and Port finishes.
It tastes very much like wine at first, tons of grape and cherry, but the finish has the nice rye spicy finish. Very interesting, 7.8/10
mazag08
AG
SpiderDude said:

mazag08 said:

I actually had Buffalo Trace the other day at a bar for the first time in years. I was amazed at how much I just didn't enjoy it. Flavor was ok, but there is just far better stuff at the same price point. Maybe I had a sour taste..

How were you drinking it? I bought a handle of BT to use as a daily drinker/mixing bourbon. Everything else I sip neat.

Neat
mazag08
AG
Just got a bottle of blade and bow. Not bad at all. I like it better than Larceny which I got on the same trip.
trouble
AG
Picked up an ER store pick at Twin in CS.

And a bottle of JW Dant.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
Which twin? The big one on Texas or the new smaller one in Jones crossing?

Edit: stopped by the twin on Texas a little before 8 and the worker I asked seemed like he was playing dumb about it. He first acted like they never had any. Once I brought up that I heard they sold some today, he asked if I had heard from Sam. I said no and he replied they they typically only get one bottle when they receive bourbons like this. I'm not sure if they have it set aside for certain customers but maybe someone will have better luck than me.
MW03
AG
Buffalo Trace is a great bourbon when it $40 for a handle. I'm pissed I missed the Dallas drop of Willet Estate, but I did get another BT handle at MSRP today, so it wasn't a total loss.
CharlieBrown17
AG
You were at the right Twin
Texas_Aggie91
AG
Thanks, I figured they would be the store receiving the store pick. I may try again tomorrow with another employee.
TamuKid
AG
Texas_Aggie91 said:

Thanks, I figured they would be the store receiving the store pick. I may try again tomorrow with another employee.

Sounds like you just need to find anyone not named "Sam" and tell em "hey, Sam called me so wanted to come pick up my ER Store Pick."

Should work like a charm!
trouble
AG
Yes, that store. Sam is the manager and she's awesome. You should come join us at a Brazos Valley Bourbon Society event and get to know her.

That's where I get my news.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
I'll have to check it out sometime. Is it organized through a Facebook group?
trouble
AG
Sorta. I'll send you a PM tomorrow.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
Sounds great, thanks!
Sazerac
AG
Total wine memorial had a bottle of KO in allocation for $300...

I went for the Huge EC Small batch for the pandemic
MJ20/20
AG
On a good note, the bourbon flippers may move on to a rush on toilet paper and leave some good bottles on the shelf for the folks that drink em. Outta be a good weekend to score some good whiskey.
agcrock2005
AG
MJ20/20 said:

On a good note, the bourbon flippers may move on to a rush on toilet paper and leave some good bottles on the shelf for the folks that drink em. Outta be a good weekend to score some good whiskey.
I thought the TP thing was a joke but I went to grocery store about an hour ago to stock up on beer and whiteclaws (wife) so we can self-contain/get drunk this weekend and watch the insanity unfold on TV...there was no toilet paper or any cleaning supplies left in the store. I heard Costco in Frisco had a line outside in the rain trying to get into the store. Ridiculous.
Fall92
AG
Frankie's on The Strand in Galveston had four bottles of BLANTON's today for $230- each, not for the four.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
djmeen95
AG
Fall92 said:

Frankie's on The Strand in Galveston had four bottles of BLANTON's today for $230- each, not for the four.

That's insane. They're pricing it like it's hand sanitizer!
MAROON
AG
Just got back from Spec's. I was the only person on the bourbon isle and it was fully stocked. There appears to be a limit to the insanity

Also they do have bottled water for those who are the willing to drink from the tap
mazag08
AG
So I've had all of the affordable and attainable wheated whiskeys.

Here's my rankings..

Weller Special Reserve
Woodford Wheat
Larceny
Redemption Wheat
Old Fitzgerald
Makers

Haven't tried Rebel Yell or AD Laws.
SpiderDude
AG
mazag08 said:

Here's my rankings..

Weller Special Reserve
Woodford Wheat
Larceny
Redemption Wheat
Old Fitzgerald
Makers

You should blind taste them and re-rank. I bet that order would change some.
mazag08
AG
SpiderDude said:

mazag08 said:

Here's my rankings..

Weller Special Reserve
Woodford Wheat
Larceny
Redemption Wheat
Old Fitzgerald
Makers

I would but with the SEC tournament and PGA To..

Yup. More whiskey it is.
Buck Compton
AG
SpiderDude said:

mazag08 said:

Here's my rankings..

Weller Special Reserve
Woodford Wheat
Larceny
Redemption Wheat
Old Fitzgerald
Makers

Yep, I did a blind taste test a few weekends ago... I recognized 2-3 of them, but overall my final order surprised me.
Sazerac
AG
What's the mash on the Dickel BiB? Need to know what others to avoid...really dislike.
Wheatables02
AG
cclearman said:

What's the mash on the Dickel BiB? Need to know what others to avoid...really dislike.

George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey 12-13 years old
mazag08
AG
84% corn, 8% rye, 8% malted barely.

Not a fan of primarily corn whiskey it seems. People either love them or hate them. I've never had it. What about it made it so unenjoyable?
Johnsy3
AG
mazag08 said:

Here's my rankings..

Weller Special Reserve
Woodford Wheat
Larceny
Redemption Wheat
Old Fitzgerald
Makers

1. I had no idea Laws made a fully wheated whiskey. Super interested
2. Have you tried Makers 46?
mazag08
AG
Johnsy3 said:

mazag08 said:

Here's my rankings..

Weller Special Reserve
Woodford Wheat
Larceny
Redemption Wheat
Old Fitzgerald
Makers

1. I had no idea Laws made a fully wheated whiskey. Super interested
2. Have you tried Makers 46?

That's the one I have. I've never been a Makers fan. 46 is pretty good, I just feel like the others are better. We shall see in the blinds..
Sazerac
AG
Has a distinct nuttiness.

Sazerac
AG
Looking at mashbills, once it's to 80 corn it's a hard no for me.

Jack at 80% has a similar nuttiness as Dickel to me.

John Francis Donaghy
cclearman said:

Thats not the corn, it's the Sugar Maple. Tennessee Whiskey like Jack and Dickel are different from bourbon in that they are filtered through Sugar Maple coals before being barrelled in Oak. The Sugar Maple gives it the distinctive flavor you decribe as "nutty". Anything labeled as "Tennessee Whiskey" will have this flavor. Bourbon will not.
Sazerac
AG
Thanks for the knowledge
SpiderDude
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

cclearman said:

Thats not the corn, it's the Sugar Maple. Tennessee Whiskey like Jack and Dickel are different from bourbon in that they are filtered through Sugar Maple coals before being barrelled in Oak. The Sugar Maple gives it the distinctive flavor you decribe as "nutty". Anything labeled as "Tennessee Whiskey" will have this flavor. Bourbon will not.

John Francis Donaghy
SpiderDude said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

cclearman said:

The makers of Tennesee Whiskey say it's not bourbon. They've gone out of their way to build up Tennessee Whiskey as a seperate and distinct product from bourbon, including petitioning the federal government for an official decision that Tennessee Whiskey is different from bourbon (which they got), and passing state laws in Tennessee recognizing Tennessee Whiskey as its own distinct product.

The debate always reminds me of this scene:

If a whiskey wants to be called Tennessee Whiskey, that's good enough for me. Seems stupid to insist on calling it bourbon against the makers' wishes.
First Page Last Page
Page 429 of 1096

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.