Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,750,912 Views | 37571 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by Brauny
K-Bob
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the Houstonians, there are 6 Dickel Bib left at the Costco off 59.
AggieDad24
So damn tasty
Pitter Patter
CactusThomas
AG
Never had the BiB, and not sure why it is popular all of a sudden but Dickel does make some excellent bourbon.
AggieDad24
First time for me as well and bought strictly on the hype around it. It's the first time that I think it lives up
Pitter Patter
CactusThomas
AG
I'll give it a shot
K-Bob
AG
Bought it strictly on hype and randomly stopped at the Costco on the way home.

Not a bad bourbon for $36.

Also picked up some ER since they had a bottle on the shelf. I hate that I do that.
CactusThomas
AG
But seriously how the hell did George Dickel bottled in bond get hyped? Just seems very random. Again, I like the whiskey they make - at least the older stuff at cask strength. I'm sure bib is a solid bourbon.
AggieDad24
""" Announced last week, Whisky Advocate's best whiskey of 2019 is George Dickel Bottled in Bond Tennessee Whisky. """
Pitter Patter
CactusThomas
AG
Thanks. Hadn't heard all that.
That's a very bold claim. These guys think it's the best whiskey at any price? Lol
LawHall88
AG
CactusThomas said:

Thanks. Hadn't heard all that.
That's a very bold claim. These guys think it's the best whiskey at any price? Lol
Actually, they supposedly graded on some sort of scale that considered cost. Not sure exactly how they did that, though.
TamuKid
AG
So, I cracked the bottle of Dickel BiB I got last night, and drank it neat in a glencairn. I didn't get any of the major complaints I had heard (vitamins/pickle taste). But I didn't get much, if anything, really. For 13 years In a barrel, I found it fairly bland. I will say, it was the neck pour, I am a bit congested with allergies, and I'm no big time bourbon connoisseur. I thought it was good bourbon, easy to sit and sip on, no offending smells or tastes, and had a typical bourbon profile. For 32 bucks, I think it's a good bottle/value. I don't think it's worthy of the #1 bourbon hype though. I enjoy Eagle Rare more at a few bucks cheaper, with 3 years less age and more flavor, for example. I also like EHT SmB better, albeit at at around 6 bucks higher. I do like it much better than the last McKenna 10 I've been trying to choke down (must have gotten a bad barrel).

I'm going to have another pour tonight and see if I feel the same.
CactusThomas
AG
Man. I learned something today.

I can't believe the Dickel bib is 13 y/o and only $32.

I'm drinking some 14 year Dickel, unfiltered, single barrel, cask strength bourbon bottled under the Barrell name. It is excellent.

Nose is straight pecan pie. A little vanilla and caramel in there but very nutty.

It feels very oily in my mouth. Tons of cinnamon. Maybe some apple pie? Something tart but faint.

Finish is loooong. Toasted pecans. Still getting the cinnamon. Very balanced between spicy and nutty, but plenty sweet.

Very good whiskey. I need to try the bib.
FriedTex
AG
Anything out of Tennessee is ****
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

I'm drinking some 14 year Dickel, unfiltered, single barrel, cask strength bourbon bottled under the Barrell name. It is excellent.

What does this mean? Is it a Barrell? What batch?
CactusThomas
AG
Barrell single barrel. "Distilled in TN". These are store/private picks.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Barrell single barrel. "Distilled in TN". These are store/private picks.

I was just gifted a Barrell - store pick, single barrel 14 year. Haven't poured it yet. Curious, how do you find out where it's sourced from?
CactusThomas
AG
Barrell is known for using Dickel juice as a base for its bourbon batches. If your single barrel pick says "distilled in Tennessee", you can assume it's from Dickel.

Let us know what you think of it. I have 3 different ones. All are good.
CactusThomas
AG
What are you drinking?
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

If your single barrel pick says "distilled in Tennessee", you can assume it's from Dickel.

It does. I've got several of their blends & have been a fan for a while - we started back on Batch 9. Thanks for the info.
CactusThomas
AG
Regarding the blends - Tennesee=Dickel, Indiana=MGP, and Kentucky is often Heaven Hill and/or Four Roses.
MJ20/20
AG
I like the Dickel BiB. It's a nice change of pace off my usual Weller/Buffalo Trace. I think it'd be a great pour for a scotch drinker looking to get into American Whiskey / Bourbon.
MW03
AG
The beaten biscuits Booker's is awesome
MJ20/20
AG
I bet. I love booker's. Getting hard to find.
MJ20/20
AG
Another bottle I really liked is John J. Bowman. It's a great bourbon.
MW03
AG
If you like Dickel BiB, I'm betting you'd like the Makers Chocolate Malt. They're not similar, but they're in the same family to me.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Regarding the blends - Tennesee=Dickel, Indiana=MGP, and Kentucky is often Heaven Hill and/or Four Roses.
Good to know. Thanks.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

The beaten biscuits Booker's is awesome

I liked the Backyard BBQ & Country Ham. Got this for Christmas & haven't opened it yet.
Post removed:
by user
FriedTex
AG
third coast.. said:

I really wish people would call bookers by their numbers, like 2019-04 and such. The names are all ridiculous.

In 2020 we will see Bookers ...
- Wet Dog
- Granny's Knickers
- skillet gravy
- Hound Dog Surprise
- Ripe Taters
SpiderDude
AG
TamuKid said:

So, I cracked the bottle of Dickel BiB I got last night, and drank it neat in a glencairn. I didn't get any of the major complaints I had heard (vitamins/pickle taste). But I didn't get much, if anything, really. For 13 years In a barrel, I found it fairly bland. I will say, it was the neck pour, I am a bit congested with allergies, and I'm no big time bourbon connoisseur. I thought it was good bourbon, easy to sit and sip on, no offending smells or tastes, and had a typical bourbon profile. For 32 bucks, I think it's a good bottle/value. I don't think it's worthy of the #1 bourbon hype though. I enjoy Eagle Rare more at a few bucks cheaper, with 3 years less age and more flavor, for example. I also like EHT SmB better, albeit at at around 6 bucks higher. I do like it much better than the last McKenna 10 I've been trying to choke down (must have gotten a bad barrel).

I'm going to have another pour tonight and see if I feel the same.

Solid review, thanks. What barrel # is your McKenna bib?
TamuKid
AG
Barrel number 6923 for the McKenna.

Have another, barrel number 7281 that I hope is better. Wish there was a master crowdsourced list of McKenna barrels with bad/good input. Haha. Seems to vary wildly.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
I also have the 7281. Not sure when I will get to it though. I have a few others in line to try beforehand.
CharlieBrown17
AG
third coast.. said:

I really wish people would call bookers by their numbers, like 2019-04 and such. The names are all ridiculous.

ECBP has it right.

Batch
Month
Year

No bull****
Farmer1906
AG
Names are more fun
First Page Last Page
Page 405 of 1074

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.