Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,834,134 Views | 38371 Replies | Last: 37 min ago by Aggie Therapist
jobu93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Legacy dropped some coin!
BMX Bandit
Texas got a shipment last week.
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
It says they are recommending stores price it around $70, but don't surprised to see places asking for more.

People actually pay this for a Texas bourbon? If it's going for $70-80, you could spend a few bucks more and get some of the best bourbon in the world (Pappy Van Winkle 20 year or George T. Stagg).
LegacyAggie
quote:
LegacyAg where did you score those?

By bolting out the door the second I got the phone call from the new twin liquors in college station. I was unshowered and in sweatpants and flip flops but I got my pappy. Good haul all around. May sell the 23 in a few months though.
dave99ag
AG
I know we're not supposed to post any more photos, but dammit I've been waiting a bit to get a bottle of Garrison Brothers. I will be opening it very shortly.

K Bo
AG
I see no mention of Noah's MIll. I picked up a bottle today at lunch at a friend's recommendation.Has anyone got any feedback on that?

I'm also on the Evan Williams Single Barrel train. Best value bourboun out there, in my opinion

For mixing, it's Buffalo Trace.
Atty_Ag
What did you think of it? Each successive batch has gotten better. The finish on it is my favorite part - caramel and almonds with no harsh burn. Just nice.
K Bo
AG
quote:
What did you think of it? Each successive batch has gotten better. The finish on it is my favorite part - caramel and almonds with no harsh burn. Just nice.

Are you referring to the Noah's Mill? I haven't had a chance to try it, yet. I'll give it a shot tonight and post my thoughts.
Atty_Ag
Sorry, I was asking dave.

But, please, all Bourbon reviews are appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Atty_Ag (edited 12/8/2011 3:29p).]
dave99ag
AG
I only sampled a small amount last night. Let it breath awhile and the aroma was very nice. My bourbon tastes aren't as in tune as yours, so I'll have to pay attention closer to the finish. It is smooth, but I don't think it's as smooth as the Basil Hayden. I need to do some blind tasting.
Stryke_Too
Rowans Creek has my vote. Buyer beware it is 100.5 proof but it goes down so smooth with a nice finish.
wadd96
AG
Picked up a bottle of Garrison on Friday in San Marcos... stopped in at the Gabriel's on a whim driving to Yancey.

Will review it once I open the sucker... perhaps this weekend.

Last weekend I got some of the Ranger Creek... pretty good stuff.

"Today, we showed the resolve of the United States. Today we made a statement to the world... That you can hit us, you can knock us down, but we're gonna get up. And when we do, we will find you and kick your ass!"
- Robert E Clark II, Cpt USN, Commandant of Midshipmen May 1, 2011
14TheRoad
AG
Awesome thread. I'm getting in on it late but have to add to some of the posters who have already named a couple of my favorites. I went on a mancation to Kentucky in May to tour and sample bourbons from most of the distilleries in Kentucky. I tasted countless bourbons but the ones i keep coming back to are the ones crafted at the Buffalo Trace distillery in Frankfort. For an every day drinking bourbon "Buffalo Trace" is hard to beat for the price. For good occasions/sharing with good company Blanton's is my favorite. I "sampled" some 23 yr Pappy as well but i have to admit that it was towards the end of a long day of tasting and i'm not sure i was able to appreciate the greatness.
Max06
AG
Blantons and Buffalo Trace are both very solid choices
showtime
AG
I realize there is a moratorium on pictures; I hope that these prove to be an exception.

My efforts in searching have been fruitful over the last 6-8 weeks. My collection, with the crown jewels in the middle.

Can't forget what I've got in the corner, though.

Unfortunately, to the extent of my knowledge, Pappy has made it to Texas, but has yet to appear in Dallas. Either that, or a lot of people are lying to me. I found a bottle of the 20 last week, but it's not part of this fall's allotment. (That bottle is not in the picture.)

On a related note, I highly advise any whiskey aficionado in Las Vegas to visit Delmonico's in the Venetian. 50 or so bourbons, 15-18 ryes, all the PVW, the elusive Old Rip 23, on and on. Also, a ton of scotches, but I'm not well-versed on scotch and this is not the scotch thread.
mattvswild
AG
I got my first bottle if PVW ever last week - a bottle of the 15 in CS. I was skeptical, but no more. That stuff is great. Only wish there was more to buy...

[This message has been edited by Mattvswild (edited 12/14/2011 7:15p).]
jetch17
AG
A vendor of ours dropped a couple of bottles of Rebecca Creek on me this morning. Saw it mentioned on the Outdoors board, any of yall tried it? Im definately not one to turn down free whiskey

Looking forward to giving it a whirl this weekend.

showtime
AG
It's too young to be bourbon, and I don't believe they market it as such. I have heard it is relatively smooth for a young whiskey, and that it avoids the firey finish and questionable aftertaste of Balcones.
jetch17
AG
yeah i didnt mean to crash the bourbon thread, it was just the neaerest Whiskey thread on here
Atty_Ag
Technically, there is no length to the age requirement to call it Bourbon. 10 seconds "aging" in the new charred barrel and you can call it Bourbon. You have to age it two years in order to call it Straight Bourbon.

quote:
Legal requirements

The legal definition of Bourbon may vary somewhat from country to country, although various trade agreements require the name Bourbon to be reserved for products made in the United States. The U.S. regulations for the labeling and advertising of Bourbon apply only to products made for consumption within the United States; they do not apply to distilled spirits made for export.[2] Canadian law requires products labeled as Bourbon to be made in the United States and to also conform to the requirements that apply within the United States. However, in countries other than the United States and Canada, products labeled as Bourbon may not adhere to the same standards. European Union regulations require products labeled as Bourbon to be made in the United States, but do not require them to conform to all of the requirements that apply within the United States.
The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for consumption within the United States[2] must meet these requirements:
Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.[3]
Bourbon must be made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.[4]
Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.[4]
Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).[4]
Bourbon must be entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).[4]
Bourbon, like other whiskeys, must be bottled at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume).[5]
Bourbon has no minimum specified duration for its aging period, although it must be aged at least briefly.[6] However, the following definitions and requirements apply that relate to aging periods:
Bourbon that meets the above requirements, has been aged for a minimum of two years, and has no added coloring, flavoring, or other spirits may (but is not required to) be called Straight bourbon.[7]
Bourbon that is labeled as Straight that has been aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.[8]
Bourbon that has an age stated on its label must be labeled with the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle (not counting the age of any added neutral grain spirits in a Bourbon that is labeled as Blended, as neutral grain spirits are not considered whiskey under the regulations and are not required to be aged at all).[9]
Bourbon that is labeled as Blended (or as ‘a blend’) may contain added coloring, flavoring, and other spirits (such as un-aged neutral grain spirits); however, at least 51% of such a product must be Straight Bourbon.[10][11]
Campfire Soul
What's the source of that list?

I thought bourbon had to be made in Kentucky.
showtime
AG
Atty:

I had confused the two-and four-year conditions.
Atty_Ag
No, Bourbon does not have to be made in Kentucky to call it Bourbon. Several states, including Texas, have distilleries. To be called Bourbon it must be produced in America, but not just Kentucky.

I copied/pasted from Wikipedia, but the cite is 27 CFR 5

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&rgn=div8&view=text&node=27:1.0.1.1.3.3.25.2&idno=27
Jaydoug
AG
Legacy - if you decide to part with your Pappy 23 I'll pay your asking price. Wifey has been trying to find some as a surprise for me but has been lamenting to our friends that she has fallen short. Would be willing to have friends "help her" find it.

ktc00
AG
quote:
Oh, and IMO, best bang for your buck is Elijah Craig 12 year old at only $26 a bottle.
Nom de Plume
AG
Picked up 2 bottles of PVW20 and can't wait to try it. I'm typically a single malt guy (Macallan 12).
Atty_Ag
I saw a bottle of that Rebecca Creek on the shelf and had a look. It says it's 32% neutral grain spirits, so it's not all their own handiwork. Anyone try it yet? Reviews?

[This message has been edited by Atty_Ag (edited 12/20/2011 10:18a).]
TexAg01
AG
Same question as above for Jefferson's Reserve or Jefferson's Presidential Select. Anyone tried it and have any thoughts. I've heard good reviews and some comparisons to Pappy's.

[This message has been edited by TexAg01 (edited 12/20/2011 11:08a).]
jobu93
AG
I could be wrong but I think Jefferson is the distiller that makes Pappy/Old Rip Van Winkle.
Testingeffectag
Wrong. PVW is buffalo trace.

I have an extra bottle of 15 and 23 for those inquiring.

Email me jaydoug

Testingeffectag @ gmail.com

[This message has been edited by Testingeffectag (edited 12/23/2011 8:11a).]
Kid A
AG
Are you offering them up for sale? How much for the 15 yr?
showtime
AG
If you're in Dallas, I'm also interested in the 15.
Mooch98
AG
Only got 1 bottle of PVW 12 year. Looking for 15 & 20 still.
CRM1712
AG
Question for you Bourbon drinkers. What kind of glass do you use? Anyone use snifters for neat?
dave99ag
AG
I have used snifters for neat and thought they were just fine.
First Page Last Page
Page 4 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.