Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,696 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by ryeguy
Atty_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The list of people on this thread who have tried it all vouch that it is good, myself included.
MROD92
For just everyday cheap drinking, I have enjoyed George Dickel. It was my FILs favorite, and just grew on me.
Atty_Ag
Wait is over.

http://blog.garrisonbros.com/
Max06
AG
How much will a bottle set me back?
RyanC
AG
It says they are recommending stores price it around $70, but don't surprised to see places asking for more.

For those of us who do not live in their distribution area, do people expect this stuff to clear off the shelves overnight, or will we be able to find it for a few months? I can't make it to Austin or SA until mid-November, wondering if I need to start hitting up family members to find it for me.
Atty_Ag
I'll buy any poster a case of six bottles if they will paypal me the money in advance. Delivery will be at an Aggie football game. In exchange, I get to keep one bottle out of the six. (Hey, I get thirsty!)
dave99ag
AG
How about you buy a case and I'll buy a bottle from you.
Atty_Ag
Yeah, wish that I could Dave. Wish that I could. Wife is not a Bourbon drinker, and we just bought wine.
dave99ag
AG
If I didn't know your wife already, I would say that's grounds for divorce.

I plan to have my dad pick up a bottle somewhere in SA for me as I know it won't make it over to CS any time soon. I may see if Spec's can start a list though.
Max06
AG
Well, it's far too rich for my blood
dave99ag
AG
A friend and I are going to split a bottle to keep the costs down. This is definitely more of a special occasion bourbon. Basil Hayden will stay my normal drink.
Atty_Ag
It's worth it. I've been toasting Aggie victories with a glass from the Fall 2011 release that Dan gave us last month for doing the bottling. I'll probably buy another bottle or two when this one runs out.

Dave, try Elijah Craig for everyday drinking. I think you'll like it.
RyanC
AG
quote:
I'll buy any poster a case of six bottles if they will paypal me the money in advance. Delivery will be at an Aggie football game. In exchange, I get to keep one bottle out of the six. (Hey, I get thirsty!)

What if we get enough people together to go in on a case? I'm in for one bottle. I can paypal you in advance.
Atty_Ag
Anybody try the fall 2011 Garrison yet? I saw a couple of bottles in Costco last week.
TexasRebel
AG

overly Aggie?
Atty_Ag
Overly Aggie in what way? 12?

Elijah Craig is great. That's the one I said was the best bang for your buck.
HTownAg98
quote:
It's worth it. I've been toasting Aggie victories with a glass from the Fall 2011 release that Dan gave us last month for doing the bottling. I'll probably buy another bottle or two when this one runs out.

The way they are playing of late, you won't run out anytime soon.
Atty_Ag
Good thing basketball season has started!
TexasRebel
AG
Baskawhat?

Feb 17 is getting closer!!
MW03
AG
Opened a bottle of 2001 Evan Williams single barrel this weekend. It normally sells at my local Goody Goody for $29, but it was on sale for $22.

I'm not going to go through tasting notes or any of that garbage. Just trust me when I say that this is the best bourbon on the market for the price. Period. It is better than any of it's price point peers (~$30/bottle, i.e., Basil Haydens, Buffalo Trace, Woodford, Jefferson, Eagle Rare, etc.). Hell, even at $22, I think this is the best bourbon I'd had for under $50. And I'd only put it slightly behind a bourbon like Bookers, Blanton's, or George Stagg in terms of my personal taste. Frankly, I am not surprised in the slightest that it won “Spirit of the Year – American Whiskey” from Food & Wine, “Domestic Whiskey of the Year” by Malt Advocate, and “Whiskey of the Year” by The Spirit Journal.

Seriously, folks. This is a damn good drink. Go check it out.

An no, I don't work for the company.

showtime
AG
I am highly inclined to agree with MW03's assessment of Evan Williams and its phenomenal taste-to-price ratio. There is but one better ratio, and that is the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year - which, when it can be found - can be had for $34-$39.

But back to Evan - I don't understand the treatment it's been getting in bars around DFW. Whiskey & Rye is a bar in the FW Omni selling Evan for $7 a pour. Whiskey Cake is a fantastic restaurant in Plano selling it for $8 a pour.

I can walk into one of 5 liquor stores in my vicinity and get a HANDLE of Evan Williams for $21-$26. Boggles my mind.
Ragoo
AG
Rockdoc
AG
Tried the Willetts. Very good and right up there with my favorite (Woodford). Very mild and smooth especially when you cut it with something.
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
There is but one better ratio, and that is the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year - which, when it can be found - can be had for $34-$39.

I've stocked up over the last week. I've bought 2 of the 10-year 90 proof, 2 of the 10-year 107 proof, and 1 of the 12-year. I really like both of the 10-years..... such distinct bourbons.

LegacyAggie

[This message has been edited by LegacyAggie (edited 12/1/2011 11:33a).]
Atty_Ag
Can I make a suggestion for this thread? Can we actually talk about the bourbon instead of just posting pictures? I think it's a given that we all know what a bourbon bottle looks like. What did you like about it?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
Can I make a suggestion for this thread? Can we actually talk about the bourbon instead of just posting pictures? I think it's a given that we all know what a bourbon bottle looks like. What did you like about it?

Co-sign.
wadd96
AG
After the BS at work today, and the drama from Aggieland, I popped a bottle of Elijah Craig 12... tasty!

"Today, we showed the resolve of the United States. Today we made a statement to the world... That you can hit us, you can knock us down, but we're gonna get up. And when we do, we will find you and kick your ass!"
- Robert E Clark II, Cpt USN, Commandant of Midshipmen May 1, 2011
TexasRebel
AG
I concur.

I broke the seal on a bottle of Kentucky Spirit last night. Poured two fingers and just sat and enjoyed it, Texas Country, and texting a special lady.
GregZeppelin
AG
What do y'all normally buy for a bottom shelf bourbon?

My money is usually on the standard Evan Williams Black (1.75 for ~$20). I feel like it's a great pour for the low price, but I am wondering if here is something better out there for the same money. I am afraid to blindly try stuff because for that price there will surely be some pretty bad stuff, and I don't have the cash laying around for the trial and error method (student loan budget).

Any suggestions for something on par with or better than Evan Williams for the same-ish price?
LegacyAggie
I just raided the liquor store. Get on my level.

To the guy above, Eagle Rare 10 year is some of the best youll find for cheapish. 25.

[This message has been edited by LegacyAggie (edited 12/3/2011 3:07p).]
BusterAg
AG
For bottom shelf, why stray from Jim Beam white? That stuff is solid, and cheap. Great for coke.
LegacyAggie
A better question is why buy bottom shelf? Spare me the not everyone had money bit. If you dont have enough to get a decent bottle of bourbon, you shouldnt be spending money anyways.
TexAg01
AG
LegacyAg where did you score those?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
You hurt my feelings with that pic, LegacyAggie. Where???
First Page Last Page
Page 3 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.