Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,834,337 Views | 38371 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Aggie Therapist
East Dallas Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Very nice collection Showtime! I might start the search challenge as well.
showtime
AG
I've had better luck with chains, just because it's easy for them to get it from distributors. I have also found it at the occasional smaller, higher-end store.
Tooth Midget
Thanks! I am on a bit of quest for it myself.
Max06
AG
Picked up a bottle of Willett tonight and I'm really impressed with it.

TexasRebel
showtime
AG
Have been curious about the Willett. Must admit, that bottle is very eye-catching.
Max06
AG
Thats what initially caught me. I tend to walk down the bourbon section and see what catches me/sounds good. I was looking at the Willett bottle when an employee came by and said that it was good, similar to Woodford Reserve (which is one of my favorites). I kept looking at bourbon and came back to Willett. It was a bit pricier than I had wanted, but it is worth it. Very nice, light and smooth bourbon. It was great neat and great with Dublin Dr Pepper as well.
TexasRebel
AG
Dublin & Bourbon
chata1122
about Willett...I agree 100%. I was stuck on makers mark for a long time thinking others wouldn't come real close, but it really impressed me. Don't know if I've hyped it up in my mind since then, but still..
showtime
AG
quote:
It was great neat and great with Dublin Dr Pepper as well.

quote:
Dublin & Bourbon
AgInSingapore
AG
Currently on the shelf is Eagle Rare and Basil Hayden's. Nothing too special but I am more of a single malt drinker.

I have the good fortune of being friends with the GM of a whisk(e)y shop/bar/importer here in Singapore so I can get my hands on quite a few good bottles (lots of rye). Heck, they even have a bottle of bourbon from 1901 for sale. I will need to investigate further as to what it is and report back if I get the chance.
07ag
AG
elmer t lee is my current favorite
FiTxAg04
AG
Max, I just went to the liquor store to pick up a bottle of Maker's 46 and saw they had ONE bottle of Willett single barrel left. I picked it up instead of the 46 based on your post. It is GOOD. Thanks for the recommendation!

Just finished up my first bottle of Basil Hayden's last week. It was really light and refreshing. Good warm weather bourbon.
Max06
AG
Glad you are enjoying it, I sure am enjoying my bottle.
Atty_Ag
I had the Elijah Craig 18 year old this weekend. It's nice, but I really do prefer the 12 year old. In fact, I agree with this guy's review:

http://sourmashmanifesto.com/category/reviewsratings/elijah-craig/
MW03
AG
Sad to say I killed the very last of my George Stagg to celebrate the win over Tech.
TexasRebel
AG
sad?
showtime
AG
PMW-

Which Stagg?
MW03
AG
I want to say it was a bottle from 2009. Working on Blanton's now. Very good.

Already burned through my reserves of WL Weller 12 and Buffalo Trace. Need to get another "every day booze" to add to the decanter (once the Dewar's Blue currently inside has been imbibed).

Ags2012
Parents gave me 100 dollar gift card to Sigel's for my 21st.

1.75 L of Woodford Reserve for sipping.
750 ml of Maker's Mark for drinking.
showtime
AG
what'd you do with the other $30?
showtime
AG
to those of you who may be seeking finer spirits:

I found a couple bottles of Buffalo Trace's Antique Collection ('09/'10) on the shelf of a store, plain as day. Majestic Liquors on Eastchase & I-30 (edge of FW/Arlington) had a couple bottles of George T. Stagg (about $78) and a bottle or two of the Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye (about $73).
jobu93
AG
I've never had Rye. What's it about and what is the difference?
TexasRebel
AG
Rye isn't a bourbon.

Bourbon must be made with >51% corn. Rye whiskey is made with rye as the dominant grain.
CharlieMac
Knob Creek Single Barrel and Maker's Mark are my on-hand favorites.
DRE06
AG
I have tried to be adventurous, but I ALWAYS come back to Maker's Mark.

It has me by the balls.
showtime
AG
No need to rush. I drank Maker's and Maker's only for five years or so before I branched out. I still keep a bottle in the bar at all times, because it's a standby, and can always get the job done. Plus, if I want a Manhattan, it's useful.
TexasRebel
AG
I'm the same way with Wild Turkey...

although, Kentucky Spirit stole my heart when I tried it at the distillery.
BusterAg
AG
I love bourbon.

1) I like bourbons that use rye as the small grain. Blanton's is the top of the line in that category, but Willet, Knob Creek and Bulleit are other great examples of the style.

2) I love me some Rye whiskey, as well. Bulleit makes a rye now that is outstanding, and Sazerac is also another good choice. Rye has a deeper, more dominant flavor. It will hit some pallets as richer, like the difference between molasses and corn syrup. For others it is sweeter, or hits their pallet like cherries or other type of berry.

3) That display of Van Winkle is very, very impressive.

4) I keep the following around for cocktails: A) Makers (if I can keep my wife out of it) for Manhattans and Mint Julips; B) Jim Beam for coke; C)any rye for a sazerac (along with St. Georges and bitters).
Atty_Ag
For those of you waiting for Garrison, the word is that the fall release is happening next week. Expect an announcement soon on their blog.
jobu93
AG
RE: Garrison

Just stopped in at Georgetown and Hye and they are all out. Shipments rumored for next week as the distributor is releasing it a week early.

I've reserved a case in my name.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Woodford Reserve has been my favorite. Going to try some Willett tomorrow if Spec's has some.
RyanC
AG
May have to have a relative grab me a bottle of Garrison in SA if they really don't distribute in Houston. Is this one of those deals where if you aren't waiting in line for the liquor store to open, you miss out? Or should there be available stock for a reasonable amount of time?
TwoTimeAg
AG
Still have a case of last year's Garrison Bros. release, it is worth the price if you can find it.
MW03
AG
Is Garrison Bros. actually good, or is it a novelty since it's made in Texas?
Last Page
Page 2 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.