Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,820 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by ryeguy
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If anyone hears of Blanton's Black/Green/Red I'm in Houston and looking to buy. Will consider shipping if vouched for. I have SFTB and Gold.

I'm off all the 2ndary sites/pages. Not even sure what they go for now.
tlfw378
AG
Any lotteries/raffles this year around Houston this year? I thought I was paying attention, but I haven't heard of any.
SpiderDude
AG
tlfw378 said:

Any lotteries/raffles this year around Houston this year? I thought I was paying attention, but I haven't heard of any.

WB is doing several across the state but sadly Houston, DFW and Austin were left out. There's one in Bryan tho! They are raffling off right to purchase bottles in the Pappy line. No BTAC. FTR, they said the were a mess in Austin last year. Supposedly a bunch of beverage reps won bottles which was highly suspicious.
tlfw378
AG
I don't need arm twisting to find my way to B/CS. Is there a date set? Procedure to get on list?
SpiderDude
AG
tlfw378 said:

I don't need arm twisting to find my way to B/CS. Is there a date set? Procedure to get on list?

All lotteries will be Saturday, Dec. 28th at 2pm. I've never done one. I'm assuming you show up ahead of time and get on the list. You must be present to win.
Sazerac
AG
Total Wine is having a pretty nice one. You got to register for which bottles you wanted and got an entry for every point you have on their loyalty program.
tlfw378
AG
Thanks.
tlfw378
AG
I will check in with them. I have been spreading my bourbon monthly cash amongst several stores and don't have a ton of points with TW to see if I even qualify. Thanks.
SpiderDude
AG
I'm in the same boat. Spend a ton at Oak Liquor in North Austin. Have gotten some relationship purchases through that at least. Pretty much stop there weekly.
AggieBarstool
SpiderDude said:

tlfw378 said:

All lotteries will be Saturday, Dec. 28th at 2pm. I've never done one. I'm assuming you show up ahead of time and get on the list. You must be present to win.
Dammit! That's WAY late this year. Last year I swear they had the lottery done by this time. I won't be in town on the 28th.

Last year, my wife won ORVW 10 year and I won Blanton's. I was hoping for another good year!

And no BTAC? That's dumb! Where is all of it going, then, if WB gets allocations?

EDIT: https://wbliquors.com/2019-pappy-raffle/
Sazerac
AG
I have a pretty crazy amount of points because I bought for a wedding. So I'm expecting to get a shot at a nice bottle....
RK
AG
It's depressing to read the early pages of this thread. Back when things were reasonably available.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
This is probably gone by now but was it the one on university or the small one on rock prairie?
tripperwill
AG
We've probably crossed paths.
tlfw378
AG
Wishing you some good luck. Let us know what you end up with.
LCE
AG
I was at one in SA. Raffle has been going on for an hour. Guy walks in about a minute before a Pappy is called and of course he won it. I hadn't seen him all night.
tlfw378
AG
By the sounds of it, there was a lot of shady and blatant dishonest lottery winners...
AlaskanAg99
AG
The liquor stores were giving kick backs to the distributor and their own employees. WB is absolutely horrendous, but it's not illegal. Just stupid they put it on blatant display.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I've been looking for Col EH Taylor at Specs in BCS for a few months to try it for the first time and they're always sold out. I went into a tiny little store in Bryan today and they had like 5 bottles out.

The funny thing was that I asked if they ever get Pappy and they said yes so I asked if they have a waiting list. They said they were just talking to the owner about starting a list and they agreed to get one started so I'm number one the next time they get some.

Hopefully they weren't just playing a prank on me.
V8Aggie
AG
hennyj15 said:

I've been looking for Col EH Taylor at Specs in BCS for a few months to try it for the first time and they're always sold out. I went into a tiny little store in Bryan today and they had like 5 bottles out.

The funny thing was that I asked if they ever get Pappy and they said yes so I asked if they have a waiting list. They said they were just talking to the owner about starting a list and they agreed to get one started so I'm number one the next time they get some.

Hopefully they weren't just playing a prank on me.
Yeah, but what are they going to charge you?
62strat
AG
Not bourbon.. but damn.
Whisky auction
Bigfootisreal
Which EH Taylor? Been looking for grain of the gods! And what store???????
62strat
AG
So my local shop does an auction every year for allocated stuff, with monies over retail going to local task force, CU cancer center, and other charities. I've told myself, if I ever paid secondary prices for anything, I could justify it for this type of case, and not just overpaying to some random guy or online site to take the profit.

So I'm curious, what is approx st. value of these (retail shown)? I'm not into the chase/trade at all, so I don't know the street values of these. I got a healthy bonus this year and would like to splurge on 1 or 2 bottles, but don't want to completely overpay.

Would you avoid any of these due because the quality vs. value just isn't there?

$105 Eagle Rare 17 Year
$105 George T Stagg
$130 Kentucky Owl Confiscated Bourbon
$200 Kentucky Owl Rye Whiskey Batch 03
$120 Michter's 10 Year Bourbon
$75 Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year
$80 Pappy Van Winkle 12 Year
$130 Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year
$215 Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year
$300 Pappy Van Winkle 23 Year
$105 Sazerac Rye 18 Year
$100 William Larue Weller

I'd like to know what I'm in for for some of these, namely the BTAC offerings.
Post removed:
by user
Copp
William Larue weller $700
GTS $450
Eagle Rare 17 $1000+
Pappy 15,20,23 all over $1,000
Michters 10 $200
Bmac04
AG
Approx values...

$105 Eagle Rare 17 Year -$1200
$105 George T Stagg - $400
$130 Kentucky Owl Confiscated Bourbon - ?
$200 Kentucky Owl Rye Whiskey Batch 03 - $160
$120 Michter's 10 Year Bourbon -$170
$75 Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year - $400
$80 Pappy Van Winkle 12 Year - $500
$130 Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year - $1000
$215 Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year - $1400
$300 Pappy Van Winkle 23 Year - $1800
$105 Sazerac Rye 18 Year - $1350
$100 William Larue Weller - $750
RK
AG
Total Wine sells Confiscated for $150 and Rye (3) for $200. I wouldn't be scared of either of those you listed if you want them. But, as posted above, they are not money-makers.
SweaterVest
AG
The KO are not money makers but more importantly they are not worth the price period.
tripperwill
AG
So true.
RK
AG
i think the rye is really good.
62strat
AG
I thought the KOs seemed like odd men out. I know I've seen those on shelves.. maybe it's just a lower price point offering though, I don't follow that brand at all.

Looks like GTS and ORVW are about the best value as far as markup.. 4-5X retail. Are Sazarac and ER17 just much lower production or what? Why are they so much higher markup?
Post removed:
by user
SpiderDude
AG
third coast.. said:

Age AND scarcity. You need to get something that's barrel proof imo.

This. All my best bottles are barrel or high proof. $ for pour you can't beat a good Knob Creek SB 120. Most aged 9+ years. Best deal in bourbon right now at $45-50ish. I have several. Still pissed I missed the 15 year one that blew through Austin a couple months ago.
HouseDivided06
AG
Just wanted to say, my favorite high proof readily available bottle right now in that range is the Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve. For $55, I think it's pretty damn hard to beat. Flavor is outstanding and you'd never guess it was 120+ proof. Delicious
SpiderDude
AG
Thanks for the tip.
First Page Last Page
Page 393 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.