Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,700 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by ryeguy
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CactusThomas said:

This confirms everything I thought about Scotch and the people who drink it rather than bourbon.

That the scotch buying customer base is aging and one of the big mass producers is looking for some kind of marketing angle to attract younger buyers?
txag2008
AG
CactusThomas
AG
Yeah that or they like to stick stuff up their butt.
boogieman
AG
Was....was that real?
tripperwill
AG
Capitalizing on the Tide Pods craze?
Fall92
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Fall92 said:

That Flak's Liquor EC 11 year store pick is outstanding. Glad I picked up two.

Is it sold out? That's a long ass drive but I may do it.
I bought them a couple of weeks ago and forgot I had them. I'm guessing they're sold out by now.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
TamuKid
AG
Picked up some Eagle Rare from Twin Liquors in Round Rock the other day. Asked specifically if they had any Wellers 12 or Eagle Rare, and they got it from the back. Small hunting victory!
DripAG08
AG
Picked up some Yippee Ki Yay today. Excited to get home and crack it open. Anyone have any thoughts on the bottle?
Post removed:
by user
Sazerac
AG
Popped into a specs on NW side of town to grab a bottle for a housewarming gift. They had Buffalo Trace on 1 bottle allocation. Sad that it felt like a win...especially at the same price as Total Wines Eagle Rare.
Farmer1906
AG
AustinAg008 said:

Picked up some Yippee Ki Yay today. Excited to get home and crack it open. Anyone have any thoughts on the bottle?
I enjoy it. Good, not great.
CJG15
AG
I think it's a great bottle, try to grab one when I see it in stores
FarmersFightAg
AG
Since when does Eagle Rare priced at $27.99 equal to Buffalo Trace $22.99?
Sazerac
AG
Since Specs charges $29.99 cash for 750ml of Buffalo Trace, same price I paid for Eagle Rare at Total Wine
FarmersFightAg
AG
You're comparing a 750 Eagle Rare to the price of a Liter of Buffalo Trace. I watch bourbon prices like a hawk.
Sazerac
AG
Ahhhh, didn't realize it was 1L

I almost always buy 1.5L of normal stock
SpiderDude
AG
If you're a Garrison Brothers fan there's a store pick at Oak Liquor in Austin in the 120 proof range selling for $130ish. You're basically getting a Cowboy cut at $50 below retail. They'll sell you a Cowboy cut too for $180 if you want to pay for the label but their store pick is actually better imo.
FriedTex
AG
I don't think those exist
SpiderDude
AG
What do you mean? That there aren't GB fans? Funny enough i'm not a fan either but I know some are so figured I'd post.
FriedTex
AG
It's half a joke and half not. If you read the first 40 pages of this thread you'd see GB get trashed on left and right. I'm sure as they mature as a company and their bourbon matured as well they will get better. Outside of the novelty that it is a thoroughly Texas bourbon (non-sourced) the price is crazy high for the actual bourbon sipping experience. You can get a bottle of OF1920 for 48 bucks at Costco now and it blows it out of the water. I'd drink it if it was the cost of Eagle Rare but not for the 100+ price point
SpiderDude
AG
On that we agree 100% my friend. My take on GB is that it's fine bourbon but priced 2-3X what comparable KY juice is at. I'm happy to accept it as a gift but struggle to pull a Benjamin out of my pocket for a bottle. Ghost Hill (Treaty Oak) is a great wheater and appropriately priced for a local craft bourbon.
TexasRebel
aggiecouch
John Francis Donaghy
Need some Pappy hunting advice.

I gave up hunting years ago, so I'm pretty out of the loop on the mania these days, but I have a family member that wants a bottle as a special occasion gift for a loved one. Probably looking for the 23, but open to 20 or 15.

I dont want to buy secondary due to fraud concerns, but they are willing to pay the markup price to buy one from a store if I can locate one.

So my questions are: a) what kind of markup prices should I expect to pay this year? And b) what's the best way to find out who even has one for sale?
SpiderDude
AG
I would assume there will be bottle lotteries as the holidays approach. Try to get you a BTAC WLW... same juice but better IMO. Western Beverage will be doing them.
John Francis Donaghy
SpiderDude said:

I would assume there will be bottle lotteries as the holidays approach. Try to get you a BTAC WLW... same juice but better IMO. Western Beverage will be doing them.

I know just about everything there is to know about the juice itself. I've had all of them many times over, and my personal opinion is that none of them worth the hassle. I got out of the game years ago because it got so ridiculous.

I'm happy to do a favor for a loved one who is willing to spend the cash for someone special, but I don't have the ability to go attend a bunch of raffles all over town and they don't either. I'm really hoping to just pay the ridiculous price tag to walk into a store and buy one at secondary pricing, absurd as that may sound.
Credible Source
AG
$2200 is what you'd pay at a store that has it sitting on the shelf. That's why it's sitting there though, because it's not worth it by any stretch.
John Francis Donaghy
Carl Hungus said:

$2200 is what you'd pay at a store that has it sitting on the shelf. That's why it's sitting there though, because it's not worth it by any stretch.

The 23 year for $2200? If so, that's actually less than I expected.
RK
AG
That's not worth it by about 2,000.
Credible Source
AG
RK said:

That's not worth it by about 2,000.
TamuKid
AG
Had our very first fire in our patio fireplace tonight, in our house we bought in January. Watched Big Hero 6 outside with the wife and kiddo, tucked them both into bed and now pouring myself some hooch. Feeling blessed this evening!

https://instagr.am/p/B3gTimLl-Mt
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

And b) what's the best way to find out who even has one for sale?
If in the Dallas area & price is not a concern, try these places.

Search here - they currently have some listed: http://www.dallasfinewine.com/

Another option is a little dive place over by the jail/downtown. Sketchy area, but they get some allocations & although their name is River Cut Rate, it usually ain't. Call them - I've seen it there before but it's been a few years since I've made the trek.

https://www.facebook.com/RiverCutRateLiquor/

John Francis Donaghy
I will be sure to check into these places. Thank you!
Fall92
AG
Does anyone have a rec for a good app to catalog your bourbon? Not looking for Excel or Word either. Thought there was a thread on HBS but can't find it. TIA.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Chipotlemonger
AG
Distiller has an option for you to run a collection. I like it.
First Page Last Page
Page 385 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.