Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,869,413 Views | 38697 Replies | Last: 29 sec ago by calebbogie
FriedTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the price point?

I feel like I'm already disagreeing with you
agcrock2005
AG
Well, the Handy wasn't opened but that's not because my scan was bad! All clear!! My buddy who is a huge bourbon snob couldn't make it so I told him I would save it until tomorrow. Opened the Blantons SR however and it's delicious.

13 years since MD Anderson said I had 1 left! **** off Cancer! Be easy on me TA, I won't remember writing this when I wake up tomorrow. Today was a great day.
aggiecouch
Removed. What I was trying to say is "here's to you and the best for you and your health going forward"
RaylanGivens
$70
John Francis Donaghy
Damn glad to hear it! Congratulations!
Wheatables02
AG
You didn't invite me... Text me when you're cracking it and I'll bring some more good stuff.

Congrats on the scan!
SpiderDude
AG
SouthernRaisedYankee said:

Hey bourbon board, I know Garrison Bros gets it fair share of flack on here; but I got to sample their Balmorhea bourbon yesterday, and it's one of the few bourbons I've tried that I think lives up to its price point. If you get a chance to try this stuff don't pass on it!

It's good but not $140 good. They have every right to be proud of their bourbon but there's tons of as good or better bottles out there for less than half that price point. I "get it" when it comes to their marketing scheme... but i'm not falling for their self induced hype.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Cracked a six year Willett SiB bourbon yesterday.

Was honestly shocked how good it was, didn't expect it to live up to the hype/price (paid 160). Honestly the only thing we drank better yesterday was GTS. Also not pictured but tasted was 2016 4RSMBLE

CactusThomas
AG
Your thoughts on Cornerstone?
CharlieBrown17
AG
It's good. Glad someone else brought it.

Most people enjoyed that WP10 pick better. I'm not a barely rye fan (cornerstone is 52% rye).

Will say cornerstones tasting notes from the distiller were more accurate than most. Could taste the apple and honey and something else they had listed on the neck.

I would be disappointed, but not overly if I spent 180 on it.
boboguitar
AG
Had a glass of George T Stagg for the first time a few days ago. I was very impressed. I still wouldn't pay $1k for it but I enjoyed what I had.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Stagg is 400-450 secondary.

I wouldn't pay that at this point in my life for it, but I can see why people do.
SpiderDude
AG
It is excellent. Carl Hungus gave me a pour of his last weekend. Much appreciated and enjoyed! I have a personal rule that I'll never pay secondary price for a bottle. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the idea that somewhere out there at some point I'll find/win/ trade for a bottle at not much higher than MSRP. I don't mind paying a marked up price at a store but i'm never paying 3...5...or 10X secondary mark up. Maybe 2X for a specific bottle i'm looking for.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the idea that somewhere out there at some point I'll find/win/ trade for a bottle at not much higher than MSRP.
Hopefully this gets easier with the death of the secondary market on Facebook.
Trinity Ag
S
Cracked open my bottle of William Larue Weller to celebrate my retirement from the Army.

I don't think anything is worth secondary market prices, but it is damn good whiskey.

Even better when shared with friends on a special occasion!
agcrock2005
AG
I'll be cliche (I mean it though)...thank you very much for your service!
FriedTex
AG
It's about the best bourbon I've ever had. Heaven Hill Select Stock is its only rival for me
CactusThomas
AG
Thanks, I can't wait to get a bottle. Not a huge rye fan but there's no way I'm missing a Master's Keep release.
Daytona22
AG
Cracked open a bottle of Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope last night. Stuff is as good as I remember it. This was the first bourbon that I got into several years ago. I had it at a bourbon tasting I was at with my dad and brother in law and bought a couple bottles of it. Glad I had it bunkered.
Trinity Ag
S
FriedTex said:

It's about the best bourbon I've ever had. Heaven Hill Select Stock is its only rival for me
My discernment MIGHT have been affected by the 4-5 drinks I had before we opened it up.

Luckily, there is enough left to savor, and compare to Stagg and some of the other quality whiskeys I am whittling down.
Sixdrakes
AG
Cactus, where are you located? I have a bottle of Cornerstone that I might be willing to trade.
CactusThomas
AG
Portland TX near Corpus.
Sixdrakes
AG
Hmm, I'm in Katy. PM me if you want to discuss.
SpiderDude
AG
SpiderDude said:

About to head out to a Pinhook store pick tasting. I believe it's barrel proof. The distillery owner is supposedly doing it.

I cracked open my bottle from this tasting. It's much better than I recall at the tasting. At 113 proof it's definitely got some burn but it's not overpowering. Nice notes of light citrus, oak and almond on the palate.
FTAG 2000
AG
Talk to me on EHT Barrel Proof. Can grab a bottle for $200 (more than retail, but less than secondary).

Is it worth it? For perspective, I've got four bottles of ECBP at home, a couple of Stagg JRs, and both GTS and WLW.

Jimmy_the_gent
AG
[img][/img]

I went to SPEC's today on Texas Ave in College Station to get the Wild Turkey 101 I asked about. But I ended up seeing a bottle of Henry McKenna Single Barrel sitting out in the wild! Given how crazy allocation has been, I decided this was too good of an opportunity to pass up. I wasn't planning to spend $35, but I decided this would be an early birthday gift to my self.

I was at the Whiskey Charlie's located near Towerpoint last Friday and the manager there told me they had received a couple of bottles on 8/22 but quickly sold out. So I'm guessing there might possibly still be some others in other BCS Stores. I got the last one sitting on the Texas Ave shelf.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Drinking discontinued mid shelf goodness

SpiderDude
AG
AG 2000' said:

Talk to me on EHT Barrel Proof. Can grab a bottle for $200 (more than retail, but less than secondary).

Is it worth it? For perspective, I've got four bottles of ECBP at home, a couple of Stagg JRs, and both GTS and WLW.

I had a pour at a place in Pittsburgh. It's one of the best I've ever personally tasted. I would pull the trigger on that.
CJG15
AG
I agree, it's one of, if not my favorite bourbon
Fall92
AG
It's pretty damn good. $200 is steep but if you've got it then def get it.

Edit- I think I paid $120 for mine.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Copp
Did you get your GTG and WLW retail or secondary?

Have some decent bottles in my collection but haven't ever been able to find the BTAC retail
Vade281
AG
Does anyone in Dallas ever get together for a bourbon tasting/sharing party?
FTAG 2000
AG
Copp said:

Did you get your GTG and WLW retail or secondary?

Have some decent bottles in my collection but haven't ever been able to find the BTAC retail
The GTS was secondary-ish (below secondary but above retail from one of my wife's co-workers that is a good friend of ours).

WLW was through my brother via Total Wine Grand Reserve in another state that actually opened up sales through their web site (unlike here in Texas, where Grand Reserve gets you jack squat other than $5 off coupons and a free wine bag).
BR 12
AG
I'd be down for that.
SouthernRaisedYankee
I ended up with a good hall from the Twin Liquors sale bourbon board: Weller 12, ETL, Angel's Envy Port Barrel Finish, Old Forester Prohibition, EH Taylor Small Batch, Basil Hayden 10 yr, and Eagle Rare all well below retail. Hit up your store before they're cleared out.
First Page Last Page
Page 382 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.