Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,865,331 Views | 38666 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by trouble
tripperwill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can you get me into that group? I'm here in Austin and a member of ABH on Facebook.
tripperwill
AG
I don't think it's worth $140. I got mine during the twin dollar sale for around $90. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't spend the money again.
SpiderDude
AG
tripperwill said:

I don't think it's worth $140. I got mine during the twin dollar sale for around $90. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't spend the money again.

I'm looking forward to a Knob SB 120 store pick that is forthcoming.
RaylanGivens
I see the 25th Anniversary KC at several stores in Houston at about $125-130.
Snipes
AG
I just spotted 4 bottles of Blanton's at terminal e duty free at IAH. 2 came with me but there are two more waiting for someone else.
AggieBarstool
StEdsCOOG said:

I told myself to give up on trying to locate a bottle of Blanton's after trying about 10 places. Decided to swing by the small mom and pop place by my parents and it turns out they had a bottle in the back. Started talking with the guy and he tells me that he has a guy that he sells a bottle of Blanton's to every month so he stockpiles them. Said he hadn't talked to the guy in months and says that he has 7 more bottles sitting at his house. I told him I'd be glad to take them off his hands and he was more than happy to offload them so we met an hour later and made the deal. Ended up with 6 of the 8 letters and a couple duplicates. Traded one of the extras to a buddy of mine for cash and a Weller 12 and I'll try to use the last one to trade for a B or O. Looks like I've found a connection for the hard to find bottles.
I have an "O" I'd part with, if want.

Truthfully, I don't like Blanton's all that much (picked up 3 bottles on a whim at a WB in El Paso 1.5 years ago).

Opened 1, sold 1, held on to 1. Opened the box only to verify which letter I have. Wouldn't mind letting it go. Located in B/CS.
agcrock2005
AG
FWIW (not much) I think Eagle Rare is much better than Blantons.
AggieBarstool
agcrock2005 said:

FWIW (not much) I think Eagle Rare is much better than Blantons.
I put them both in roughly the same category. Assuming you can find it at "normal" price, I'll always tip my hat
toward Eagle Rare.
agcrock2005
AG
Put my name on a list at a liquor store about 3 months ago for any BTAC thinking it would never happen. I just got a call from them saying they have a Thomas Handy Sazerac for $149. I've never had it and want to try it so I think I'll go get it. For those of you that have had it, what do you think about it?

EDIT: For those that think they have to spend a lot of money to get stuff, I've only been here once and I bought an Eagle Rare.
Wheatables02
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Put my name on a list at a liquor store about 3 months ago for any BTAC thinking it would never happen. I just got a call from them saying they have a Thomas Handy Sazerac for $149. I've never had it and want to try it so I think I'll go get it. For those of you that have had it, what do you think about it?

EDIT: For those that think they have to spend a lot of money to get stuff, I've only been here once and I bought an Eagle Rare.
its great - if you dont want it, i'll take it.
SpiderDude
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Get that *****!! That's a no brainer!
tripperwill
AG
Yep, it's my favorite of all the BTAC. Congratulations!
RaylanGivens
Snipes said:

I just spotted 4 bottles of Blanton's at terminal e duty free at IAH. 2 came with me but there are two more waiting for someone else.
requires you produce an international ticket, correct?

agcrock2005
AG
Well if my MRI goes well in 6 days, then my 13 year Cancerversary in 10 days is going to be celebrated in fine fashion. Blantons SR was what I originally purchased for the milestone and then after the call yesterday I had to pick up the Handy!

EDIT: Holy ginormous picture. Know how to make it smaller??
SweaterVest
AG
That's an awfully fine bottle right to place on the edge of your counter. Don't get excited and knock it off!
Señor Chang
AG
Congrats!
John Francis Donaghy
Sounds like a helluva reason to celebrate! We'll be pulling for you to break that sucker open after you get the good news!
LawHall88
AG
CactusThomas said:

LawHall88 said:

My guess is this will be impossible to find, but I'm curious...
Quote:

It's not often that two whiskey masterminds collaborate in the creation of something brand new. But Fred Noe, Jim Beam's master distiller, and Shinji ***uyo, Suntory Whisky's chief blender, have been quietly working on this something new for the past several years. These two represent such different sides of the whiskey world, not just geographically, but fundamentally speaking. Now, they have unveiled the fruits of their labor. Legent Bourbon, a whiskey that could only be produced by combining the backgrounds and expertise of Noe and ***uyo, has arrived.

Legent begins life as a Kentucky bourbon, matured for five years. This represents the biggest chunk of the final product. The two other pieces of the puzzle see that same bourbon get finished in different casks. The first parcel finishes in California red wine casks, and the second finishes in sherry casks. All are blended together by ***uyo.
https://blog.distiller.com/legent-bourbon/

Haven't seen any discussions on this so I assume I'm the only one that likes it. That's ok with me.

It's cheap and readily available - that's a win. It has a very characteristic Beam flavor profile, kinda peanutty. The barrel finishing is very noticable but not crazy. It still tastes like bourbon. But there is a lot going on with it, its basically a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in a bottle. Very drinkable and very tasty. Just my opinion.
Finally found it in San Antonio - not at Specs or Total Wine, but at a smaller place. Really like it - as you say, very peanutty.
SpiderDude
AG
I noticed it at Twin here in the Austin area. I picked it up to read the label and put it back on the shelf. Straight jelly at someone getting TH Sazerac and not a got damn decent thing available that's decent on thr shelf. **** legent. **** bourbon chasing.
CactusThomas
AG
Ok
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm sure I'm not the only one that is sick of this "woe is me" attitude. Get over it and move on.
SpiderDude
AG
SpiderDude said:

I noticed it at Twin here in the Austin area. I picked it up to read the label and put it back on the shelf. Straight jelly at someone getting TH Sazerac and not a got damn decent thing available that's decent on thr shelf. **** legent. **** bourbon chasing.

As a public service...rather than delete my post I will just say this was an example of don't drink and post kids! I don't even remember posting that last night.
Fall92
AG
Came across a 15 yr PVW and 27 year Heaven Hill in nyc this week. $1450 for the former and $1500 for the latter. Didn't pull the trigger on either though as I'd bought an ORVW and a Michter's Barrel strength rye last trip.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Credible Source
AG
SpiderDude said:

SpiderDude said:

As a public service...rather than delete my post I will just say this was an example of don't drink and post kids! I don't even remember posting that last night.

Head on over to my house and you can drown your sorrows in GTS
SpiderDude
AG
Thanks for having me over. Whiskey is always better with a friend!
SpiderDude
AG
About to head out to a Pinhook store pick tasting. I believe it's barrel proof. The distillery owner is supposedly doing it.
4xAgs
AG
Barstool, still have the bottle of Blanton's you're willing to part with? O is all I lack completing my set. Besides I enjoy drinking it. My son is in BCS and could pick it up.
aad03
AG
SpiderDude said:

About to head out to a Pinhook store pick tasting. I believe it's barrel proof. The distillery owner is supposedly doing it.

Owner of which distillery?
Class of '03
AlaskanAg99
AG
Isn't Pinhook all MGP? So they own a distillery or is it just rebranded juice and a BS story?
LawHall88
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Isn't Pinhook all MGP? So they own a distillery or is it just rebranded juice and a BS story?
No distillery, at least according to this:
Quote:

Kentucky-based non-distilling producer Pinhook appeared on the crowded American whiskey stage back in 2014, and since that time they've released annual, limited bottlings of sourced bourbon and rye reportedly from MGP.
https://drinkhacker.com/2019/07/08/review-pinhook-bourbon-country-straight-bourbon-crop-2018/
SpiderDude
AG
The term he used was founder... not owner FWIW. Yes, they were MGP and this particular release was MGP but they are moving to Castle and Key as their source for distillate. He said this would be "the first and last" release of MGP in a store pick in Austin. Her also said they only do about 50 store picks each year.
Jimmy_the_gent
AG
The Spec's by me is selling WT101 750ml at 18.99

Is it worth picking up at that price?
CactusThomas
AG
Yes
AggieBarstool
4xAgs said:

Barstool, still have the bottle of Blanton's you're willing to part with? O is all I lack completing my set. Besides I enjoy drinking it. My son is in BCS and could pick it up.
Sure do! Make an offer.

aggiejason
zerofive
at
gmail
dot
com
SouthernRaisedYankee
Hey bourbon board, I know Garrison Bros gets it fair share of flack on here; but I got to sample their Balmorhea bourbon yesterday, and it's one of the few bourbons I've tried that I think lives up to its price point. If you get a chance to try this stuff don't pass on it!
First Page Last Page
Page 381 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.