Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,835,972 Views | 38384 Replies | Last: 29 min ago by AgDev01
Ducks4brkfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SpiderDude said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

SpiderDude said:

Yup. I have the pic to prove it. 127.5 proof. It was glorious. Drank it straight up in a Glencairn.
that should be BT mash bill #1 and not a rye

Kudos to you sir. I could have sworn it was a Rye. The green label threw me off lol! I had to go back and check the label in my pic. It is indeed not a Rye after all. Doesn't mean it was any less delicious tho.
no, you're right about that. EHT BP is a great pour.
Bunk Moreland
I'm sure this is more fitted for the scotch thread but I don't know what happened to it.

Picked up some Yamazaki 12. Great stuff and I can never find it.
TexasAggies06
AG
Thanks
SpiderDude
AG
Stopped by the Wigle Whiskey Tasting Room and Bottle Shop. Tried just about every bourbon and rye that they had. They had some interesting finished ones including a Rye finished in Laphroaig barrels:

https://wiglewhiskey.com/shop/bottles/whiskey/kilted-rye-whiskey/

One finished in Mezcal Barrels:

https://wiglewhiskey.com/shop/bottles/whiskey/oaxaca-rye/

Port Finished Rye:

https://wiglewhiskey.com/shop/bottles/whiskey/port-rye-whiskey/

Madeira finished bourbon:

https://wiglewhiskey.com/shop/bottles/whiskey/madeira-finished-bourbon/

I elected to purchase this (barrel strength Rye):

https://wiglewhiskey.com/shop/bottles/whiskey/pennsylvania-deep-cut-rye/
jh0400
AG
That mezcal finished rye looks interesting.
TexasAggies06
AG
I was recently gifted a bottle of Black Ridge Small Batch bourbon, haven't had a chance to try it yet. I had never heard of it and a quick search online shows reviews are pretty mediocre. Not complaining about free booze though... anyone ever tried it or know anything about it?
schmellba99
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

aggiecouch said:

Yeah that's probably a good call. No harm in letting it sit till July. Thanks.

That AE Rye is really sweet. It's not something I drink normally, but every once in a while when I get a sweet tooth it's really good. Drink it when you're in the mood for dessert, and you may appreciate it more.
Pairs wonderfully with a thick ribeye medium rare.
schmellba99
AG
SpiderDude said:

Deats said:

SpiderDude said:

FriedTex said:

I'm curious, why does Makers Mark Cast Strength only top out at around 112 proof? As opposed to 120+?

They still add water... just not as much. They have to have a consistent proof for mass production (if nothing else because they printed the labels to say 112 and regulators enforce the **** out of that)...so they dilute to 112 in the blending process.
What else do distillers use/add when dropping proof? Sugar? Spices? etc...

It better only be water unless they're marketing it as a flavored whiskey. That being said, my favorite Rye is Angel's Envy...I question if they add a hint of sugar. It's sweeter than I'd expect from just sitting in a rum cask.
There is usually some residual rum in the barrels as well, that adds to the flavor profile significantly.
SpiderDude
AG
It wasn't bad but after tasting it I elected to only purchase the barrel proof Rye instead.
LawHall88
AG
So tomorrow is National Bourbon Day.

To honor the occasion, the Ag Department put out an article on its corn breeding program:

Quote:

COLLEGE STATION Dr. Seth Murray may have more than a casual interest in National Bourbon Day on June 14.

Murray, Texas A&M AgriLife Research corn breeder and Eugene Butler Endowed Chair in the department of soil and crop sciences at Texas A&M University in College Station, has an ongoing research project aimed at producing better whiskey through science.

Whiskey is the generic name of distilled alcohol made with grain and aged in a wood barrel. Bourbon whiskey must by federal law be produced in the U.S. from at least 51% corn, distilled to less than 80% alcohol and barreled at less than 62.5% alcohol in new charred oak barrels. Most bourbon whiskey brands utilize 70-80% corn in their recipes.

Murray's corn breeding program evaluates about 7,000 varieties per year for food and animal feed, but his novel corn-for-whiskey project is attempting to answer the question: Can different corns make whiskey taste different? Better?
Aggie bourbon?
Quote:

For many reasons the most important of which being the rise and "blending" nature of the commodity grain market, which distillers turned to for grain after Prohibition these same concepts of variety and environment, or terroir, have been largely ignored in whiskey, he said.

But this is slowly starting to change, largely due to the craft whiskey movement, and Murray and Arnold say they are working to unravel the underlying science.

They have now evaluated about 30 Texas A&M varieties and are scaling up a proprietary Texas A&M hybrid. One acre each of three hybrids have been planted by the F&R grower to do proof-of-concept work, and hybrid seed production for next year's much larger production is planted in the Rio Grande Valley on contract.

"We have to work with the timelines of corn growing seasons, and good whiskey and bourbon are aged for a number of years, so unfortunately whiskey aficionados will need to wait a few more years until they, like the Capitol Hill staffers, can taste the difference in corn selected for improved whiskey flavor," Murray said.
https://today.agrilife.org/2019/06/13/texas-am-corn-breeder-looking-to-build-a-better-bourbon/
SpiderDude
AG

Very good find for the money. Purchased the last bottle at WB in North Austin. It's not quite on the level of the Angel's Envy Finished Rye (where the AE hits you with the amazing brown sugar and maple notes this hits you with a bit more blackstrap molasses)... but for $36 I'm gonna enjoy the **** out of this one!
FlyFish95
That BH is pretty brown-sugary
SpiderDude
AG
Gig 1995 said:

That BH is pretty brown-sugary

No doubt. There's definitely less Maple than the Angel's Envy Finished Rye but it's an excellent pour. I like it so much i'm picking up a few more bottles after work.
jh0400
AG
I had a pour of VWFRR last night at Anvil, and while it was good I don't know if I'd splurge on it again. I think I much prefer the higher proof of the THH.
RenoAg
jh0400 said:

I had a pour of VWFRR last night at Anvil, and while it was good I don't know if I'd splurge on it again. I think I much prefer the higher proof of the THH.

I happen to think VWFRR is the best of the Van Winkles. And I tend to agree with you on preferring THH.

In other news, I would like to report a bourbon tragedy. Found an old opened bottle of EC12 in my bunker and thought I was going to have some nice pours tonight. Then I see plenty of sediment in it. And a sip of it confirmed my worst fears. Drain poured after that...
CactusThomas
AG
Never mind. Miss read your post.
jh0400
AG
Don't get me wrong. I liked the VWFRR, and I agree that it's probably my favorite of the VWs. It's close between it and Lot B. I just wouldn't pay $55 for another glass when I can get THH that I like more for a third of the price.
SpiderDude
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kentucky.com/news/business/bourbon-industry/article231893578.html

A lot of HH fans are pissed that they are bringing this back (as a 7 year) at almost triple the MSRP of the previous 6 year offering. Who do they think they are... Buffalo Trace?! I saw a lot of pissed off comments on IG about it.
schmellba99
AG
My only complaint about Basil Hayden is the fact that they keep everything they bottle at 80 proof. Would love to see them up the proof some - doesn't have to be barrel proof, but a good 95-105 proof offering would be awesome IMO.
schmellba99
AG
SpiderDude said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kentucky.com/news/business/bourbon-industry/article231893578.html

A lot of HH fans are pissed that they are bringing this back (as a 7 year) at almost triple the MSRP of the previous 6 year offering. Who do they think they are... Buffalo Trace?! I saw a lot of pissed off comments on IG about it.
....and those same people will go out and spend the money. Which is why HH has decided they can bring it back at 3x the price with an additional year aging. The market makes the call.
barney94
AG
Opened a fifth of Makers Mark Cask Strength last night. I forget how great it is...value for the money is very high on it.
SpiderDude
AG
I'm not so sure. People won't be bending over backward to purchase at that price point. Taters are lining up tho i'm sure.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Pretty much the same price as EHT SmB with an age statement
AquaCasaAg
AG
What is a fair price for a BTAC bottle at this point? I know fair is in the eye of the beholder so I'm asking based on your views.
Fall92
AG
I would say between $400-$499 depending on the bottle and year.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
WES2006AG
AG
AquaCasaAg said:

What is a fair price for a BTAC bottle at this point? I know fair is in the eye of the beholder so I'm asking based on your views.
Retail...
the dude10
AG
$250-$300 seems fair honestly considering the market. With what they are going for anything less than that should be considered a steal
aggiecouch
I know the old forester 1920 is rated pretty highly around these parts. Any of their other offerings worth picking up?
SpiderDude
AG
Their new Rye is their first new mashbill in over a hundred years... apparently it was worth the wait. Best Rye for the money. MSRP in the low 20's.
aggiecouch
I'll look for it, thanks for the tip
aad03
AG
aggiecouch said:

I know the old forester 1920 is rated pretty highly around these parts. Any of their other offerings worth picking up?

I really liked the 1910 Old Fine Whisky. I'll buy another bottle when I see it on the shelf.
Class of '03
agcrock2005
AG
aggiecouch said:

If you can find the 1910 grab it. Also very good for the price.
Avocado Toast
AG

First time I have ever seen them at the liquor store so I bought both.
RaylanGivens
Avocado Toast said:

https://i.imgur.com/m76Ukixh.jpg
First time I have ever seen them at the liquor store so I bought both.

Something not seen in Texas often

Avocado Toast
AG
Was actually at a really crappy place in Denver that probably does most of its business selling flask sized bottles of McCormicks.
First Page Last Page
Page 375 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.