Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,721 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by ryeguy
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd pay $149... for SFTB Blanton's. But for regular single barrel I'd only pay less than $70.
John Francis Donaghy
Total rip off. I'd be willing to bet the owner of that little store already purchased that bottle with cash for ~$50 from his store, and whoever buys it now is actually buying from the owner as a private seller so he can pocket the excess. Illegal, but rampant practice these days.
TexasAggies06
AG
Ok that's what I figured. I got into Bourbon a couple of years ago when I lived in Kentucky for a short period but then got out of the habit when I moved back to Texas. Just getting back into it and and started looking around here for the good stuff, so this was the first bottle I had seen. I thought that price was obscene, but wondered if the supply/demand ratio was off enough in this area that that was the best I would find. Glad to hear that's not the case.
Bert315
AG
Family member has a business trip in Frankfurt in a couple weeks. Was going to have her try and pick up a bottle of Blantons Gold. Anything else I should have her try to pickup while over there that's hard to get or can't get here in the states?
FriedTex
AG
I'm curious, why does Makers Mark Cast Strength only top out at around 112 proof? As opposed to 120+?
SpiderDude
AG
FriedTex said:

I'm curious, why does Makers Mark Cast Strength only top out at around 112 proof? As opposed to 120+?

They still add water... just not as much. They have to have a consistent proof for mass production (if nothing else because they printed the labels to say 112 and regulators enforce the **** out of that)...so they dilute to 112 in the blending process.
aggielostinETX
AG
SpiderDude said:

FriedTex said:

They still add water... just not as much. They have to have a consistent proof for mass production (if nothing else because they printed the labels to say 112 and regulators enforce the **** out of that)...so they dilute to 112 in the blending process.
What else do distillers use/add when dropping proof? Sugar? Spices? etc...
Mr_mo8268
AG
If it's bournon they can't add anything other than water.
John Francis Donaghy
SpiderDude said:

FriedTex said:

Yeah, the definition of "barrel proof" has definitely gotten looser in recent years. That label used to be reserved for the true straight from the barrel 130-140 proof bottles. Now it's getting slapped on pretty much everything over 110.
SpiderDude
AG
Deats said:

SpiderDude said:

FriedTex said:

It better only be water unless they're marketing it as a flavored whiskey. That being said, my favorite Rye is Angel's Envy...I question if they add a hint of sugar. It's sweeter than I'd expect from just sitting in a rum cask.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
SpiderDude said:

FriedTex said:

According to who?

Isn't the proof handwritten on the label? And each batch is different?
RaylanGivens
"but wondered if the supply/demand ratio was off enough in this area that that was the best I would find. Glad to hear that's not the case."

Supply/demand ratio is way off, so finding it at about $60-65 is crazy fun. Most bigger stores are receiving 6 bottles (case) every 2 months, so it's gone it a matter of hours. Mom and Pop may get one or 2 bottles.
aggielostinETX
AG
SpiderDude said:

Deats said:

SpiderDude said:

FriedTex said:

It better only be water unless they're marketing it as a flavored whiskey. That being said, my favorite Rye is Angel's Envy...I question if they add a hint of sugar. It's sweeter than I'd expect from just sitting in a rum cask.
Lot's of ryes seem real sweet to not be tweaked after.
CharlieBrown17
AG
130-140 doesn't mean anything in regards to if it's barrel proof or not.

Some of the best SAOS (especially rye) and four roses barrels I've had were high 90s or low 100s and uncut.
SpiderDude
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

SpiderDude said:

FriedTex said:

According to who?

Smaller producers might hand write but they're most likely testing the proof once and then filling all the bottles with that same proofed juice. Most mass produced are printing the label ahead of time presumably based on what their master distiller decided on (for proof).
the dude10
AG
You still seeing any SAOS rye? I got one of their cask strength ryes years ago and it was amazing
Joseydog
AG
Deats said:

SpiderDude said:

Deats said:

SpiderDude said:

FriedTex said:

I would not be surprised if there was an additive. Flavorman is a big producer of additives for liquor, including whiskey, and they make flavor profiles. When we were starting our distillery, we did a tour of bourbon/whiskey distilleries in Kentucky. I don't remember whom, but someone suggested that we meet with Flavorman. We met with them and they offered develop a flavor profile (to be added to our whiskey) for about $20K. The additive was not to create some exotic whiskey flavor, but supplement the whiskey. Of course, we would then have to continue to purchase the additive to have a consistent product. We had no interest in our whiskey's taste being created by an additive so we declined.

I have seen big containers stamped Flavorman sitting on the production floor of a whiskey distillery (the distillery was not in Kentucky). They could have just been experimenting with making a flavored whiskey, though this distillery has never sold a flavored whiskey.

Joseydog
AG
SpiderDude said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

SpiderDude said:

FriedTex said:

According to who?

Smaller producers might hand write but they're most likely testing the proof once and then filling all the bottles with that same proofed juice. Most mass produced are printing the label ahead of time presumably based on what their master distiller decided on (for proof).
I cannot speak for other producers, but we do not follow the procedure you indicate here. For our barrel proof, we proof and bottle each barrel. We handwrite on each bottle the barrel number, the date barreled, % alcohol by volume, and proof. There is no blending or combining of different barrels. The proofs vary depending on when the whiskey was barreled and where in our facility it was stored. Also, there has been some inconsistency in the craftsmanship of the barrels, which also can affect the proof. The proofs have varied from 108 to high 120s.

This is a time consuming process so it is understandable that the large producers will make a consistent proof (by adding water) for all of its "barrel proof."
John Francis Donaghy
Joseydog said:

Deats said:

SpiderDude said:

Deats said:

SpiderDude said:

FriedTex said:

I would not be surprised if there was an additive. Flavorman is a big producer of additives for liquor, including whiskey, and they make flavor profiles. When we were starting our distillery, we did a tour of bourbon/whiskey distilleries in Kentucky. I don't remember whom, but someone suggested that we meet with Flavorman. We met with them and they offered develop a flavor profile (to be added to our whiskey) for about $20K. The additive was not to create some exotic whiskey flavor, but supplement the whiskey. Of course, we would then have to continue to purchase the additive to have a consistent product. We had no interest in our whiskey's taste being created by an additive so we declined.

I have seen big containers stamped Flavorman sitting on the production floor of a whiskey distillery (the distillery was not in Kentucky). They could have just been experimenting with making a flavored whiskey, though this distillery has never sold a flavored whiskey.

Does this distillery sell whiskey under their own name?
Joseydog
AG
Yes.
John Francis Donaghy
Does it start with a "D" and end with "ickel"?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Nah pretty sure it's been off shelves for years.
Joseydog
AG
I am not going to name the distillery, but its products are currently available at your local liquor store.
jsn1986
AG
Heard W12 may have been spotted at Houston Specs. Anyone confirm?
boboguitar
AG
jsn1986 said:

Heard W12 may have been spotted at Houston Specs. Anyone confirm?
If you heard about it, it's already gone.
RaylanGivens
Specs says not so
boboguitar
AG
My best advice for catching a weller 12 is to call the stores regularly and ask. Ask for their delivery days and then call on those days to see if they have one in. Most will tell you.
aggiecouch
Went and picked up a few bottles today during my weekend food and booze run.

Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 proof (as recommended by CactusThomas): good stuff, right up my alley. Thanks for the rec! I'll have to keep this one stocked from now on.

Pendleton Midnight (my friend's favorite that he's been pushing me to try, not a bourbon but eh): is ok, nothing to write home about but drinkable for sure

Angel's Envy Rye (also not bourbon): hard nope on that one, no idea what I'm gonna do with the rest of this bottle cause I'm finding this one more or less intolerable
jh0400
AG
I'd take the AE Rye off of your hands if you're in Houston.
aggiecouch
Sorry, up Dallas way, but thanks for the interest. You really like this stuff?
jh0400
AG
I'm a sucker for finished bourbons or eyes. If you didn't like it at first sip I'd let it sit for a month or so and come back to it.
aggiecouch
Yeah that's probably a good call. No harm in letting it sit till July. Thanks.
John Francis Donaghy
aggiecouch said:

That AE Rye is really sweet. It's not something I drink normally, but every once in a while when I get a sweet tooth it's really good. Drink it when you're in the mood for dessert, and you may appreciate it more.
HouseDivided06
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

aggiecouch said:

That AE Rye is really sweet. It's not something I drink normally, but every once in a while when I get a sweet tooth it's really good. Drink it when you're in the mood for dessert, and you may appreciate it more.

I'll add to this, I can only drink it in the winter time. It's just not a summer drink for me. But if it's cold out, and especially if you're by a fire, it's pretty damn tasty.
SpiderDude
AG
It's my favorite Rye, hands down. But it is no doubt very sweet. It's not a daily drinker by any means. I enjoy when I want something special.
First Page Last Page
Page 373 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.