Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,748,623 Views | 37530 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by Bulldog73
aggielostinETX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
tandrus
AG
Is that EHT Small batch? And a blood oath set?
tandrus
AG
I'll PM you.
Señor Chang
AG
Picture is too small
aggielostinETX
AG
Yep!!!

And just got this!

AggieKatie2 said:
CactusThomas
AG
Whiskey for ants?
tandrus
AG
Deats said:

Yep!!!

And just got this!

I've heard Little Book is good, but KO Batch 2 is over rated (especially at $200).
aggielostinETX
AG
tandrus said:

Deats said:

Yep!!!

And just got this!

I've heard Little Book is good, but KO Batch 2 is over rated (especially at $200).

Little Book 2017 was a top finisher in a blind tasting that included some BTAC. The KO was $175, it was to round out the collection.

AggieKatie2 said:
HouseDivided06
AG
Little Book is port barrel finished, right?
aggielostinETX
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

Not that I can see. It's a blend of an 8, 11, and a 40 year.

AggieKatie2 said:
tandrus
AG
Deats said:

HouseDivided06 said:

Not that I can see. It's a blend of an 8, 11, and a 40 year.
Maybe the 0 is a typo, but this is the blend for the 2017 release:
=4 year old bourbon, 13 year old corn whiskey, approximately 6 year old 100% malt whiskey, and approximately 6 year old high rye whiskey
CharlieBrown17
AG
Deats has batch 2

Has some real old Canadian whiskey iirc
aggielostinETX
AG
Yeah, those are Chapter 2, 2018 release 118.8 proof.

AggieKatie2 said:
NASAg03

$40 @ Specs. excellent texas bourbon. favorite so far.

not a fan of their regular stuff. more buttery / caramel notes, little spice.
Post removed:
by user
CharlieBrown17
AG
And now for some education without the condescension....

That's a sourced whiskey distilled somewhere else and bottled in Texas. So they claim "Texas Made"
Credible Source
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

That's a sourced whiskey distilled somewhere else and bottled in Texas. So they claim "Texas Made"

That actually makes it more appealing to me. I won't drink bourbon made in Texas.
Right Rigger
This year's KO Rye and associated price should stay on the shelf!!!
FarmersFightAg
AG
Carl Hungus said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

That actually makes it more appealing to me. I won't drink bourbon made in Texas
Fully agree with this. I am not bothered by sourcing from out of state as long as its good juice, which this bottle is. Much better than their original label.
CharlieBrown17
AG
FarmersFightAg said:

Carl Hungus said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

That actually makes it more appealing to me. I won't drink bourbon made in Texas
Fully agree with this. I am not bothered by sourcing from out of state as long as its good juice, which this bottle is. Much better than their original label.

EDIT: continued looking as I'm stuck at a computer and bored at work and added info I found after my post.

Transparent sourcing is A-Ok in my book.

"Texas Made" and then only listing where it was bottled and not distilled is shady and means I won't buy it.

Though based on the their label approved by TTB its probably pretty decent. It has an eight year age statement hidden in the back label. Kept looking and this is true for the Limited Reserve bottling not the single barrel.

I also guess that is a store pick/special bottling for Specs. I can only find a 90 proof limited reserve in the TTB approved labels. Either that or they're plain just ignoring TTB regs. So the single barrel wasn't listed quite the same as the other 1835 products and caused it not to show up, but I did find the label and the Single barrel does, in fact say distilled in Kentucky on the label so kudos to them for that but I still dislike the "Texas Made" advertisement. The single barrel does not have the age statement of the limited reserve label. Also surprised it was distilled in Kentucky, expected it to be a MGP (Indiana) product. Also don't trust that it isn't labeled straight bourbon when the Limited Reserve is.

Long story short, guys like High West that are super open about where they're sourcing (although it takes a trip to their website, but their bottle also tells you to go there for more info) from are my favorite. Something like Ezra Brooks or the new Old Ezra barrel proof that say distilled, aged, and bottled in Bardstown Kentucky for Luxco are still ok with me. Something like this that completely ignores the fact that it is sourced and pushes itself as being from a particular region is something I won't purchase.

John Francis Donaghy
CharlieBrown17 said:

FarmersFightAg said:

Carl Hungus said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Transparent sourcing is A-Ok in my book.

"Texas Made" and then only listing where it was bottled and not distilled is shady and means I won't buy it.

Though based on the their label approved by TTB its probably pretty decent. It has an eight year age statement hidden in the back label.

I also guess that is a store pick/special bottling for Specs. I can only find a 90 proof limited reserve in the TTB approved labels. Either that or they're plain just ignoring TTB regs.

Long story short, guys like High West that are super open about where they're sourcing (although it takes a trip to their website, but their bottle also tells you to go there for more info) from are my favorite. Something like Ezra Brooks or the new Old Ezra barrel proof that say distilled, aged, and bottled in Bardstown Kentucky for Luxco are still ok with me. Something like this that completely ignores the fact that it is sourced and pushes itself as being from a particular region is something I won't purchase.

Agree 100%. I like how Smooth Ambler does it where their in-house stuff is sold as Smooth Ambler and their sources offering are sold under the Old Scout label, as in they went out and scouted some good whiskey to bottle and sell. Same company, different products, different branding. And their Old Scout stuff is usually really good.
FlyFish95
third coast.. said:

Lol texas bourbon. Might want to stick to space

Not everyone likes paying $600 for $50 Bourbon.
jh0400
AG
Luckily there are plenty of good options for bourbon other than buying bad Texas whiskey or BT bottles on BSM.
FlyFish95
If he likes it I'm not sure it really matters what other people think about it.
Credible Source
AG
I picked up two THH, a GTS, and an AECS today. Hell of an afternoon. Wife is a little annoyed. Tomorrow Cenral Texas gets MWND and W12. Hopefully I can celebrate an Aggie win with some BTAC.
Sixdrakes
AG
Carl Hungus said:

I picked up two THH, a GTS, and an AECS today. Hell of an afternoon. Wife is a little annoyed. Tomorrow Cenral Texas gets MWND and W12. Hopefully I can celebrate and Aggie win with some BTAC.
Nice haul!!
the dude10
AG
Very nice! I am trying to decide if I want to run around this afternoon hunting or not. Might hit just a couple places and see
the dude10
AG
Ended up finding a GTS, THH, four roses store pick and midwinter nights dram.
the dude10
AG
Also, any opinions on little book batch 2? What is a generally accepted price point for it? Might be able to grab a bottle tomorrow but I don't know how much I realistically should be willing to pay
Credible Source
AG
the dude10 said:

tandrus
AG
the dude10 said:

So jealous.
the dude10
AG
Don't be too jealous, the GTS and THH were marked up, though not all the way to secondary. I have never seen any BTAC in the wild at msrp. I paid for it, but did get some antique collection so I guess that is lucky. I also saw some well above secondary prices.
tripperwill
AG
I've paid for a GTS at retail once, but it's the one and only time I've even seen a BTAC in a store.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Another option would be the Goody Goody Woodford Reserve Double Oaked store pick. It's about $55 I believe and it's pretty good.

I really like that stuff!
Wheatables02
AG
It's the only Woodford Worth a damn. The store pick double oaked or the double double oaked
First Page Last Page
Page 343 of 1073

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.