Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,870,396 Views | 38709 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by HouseDivided06
aad03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jh0400 said:

The main reason I see that the Underbelly pick was sought after, aside from the fact that is was picked by Chris Shepherd, is that Underbelly is no more. Hopefully he'll do and release more picks once Georgia James is open. I only wish there were more picks released ITL. There's no way I could ever make it to Nasa Liquor during the week for a pickup.
Ok, didn't realize Underbelly was gone, never been there. Haven't been inside the loop in 2 or 3 years.
Class of '03
reveille23
They need to put a limit on those store pick bottles when they have them. One guy getting 18 of the 60 bottles is a bunch of crap. Thankfully they still had the NASA pick when I finally was able to get there at around 11:00.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I also wish they'd put limits on store picks. Who the hell has time to drive to NASA mid.morning mid week?
WES2006AG
AG
reveille23 said:

They need to put a limit on those store pick bottles when they have them. One guy getting 18 of the 60 bottles is a bunch of crap. Thankfully they still had the NASA pick when I finally was able to get there at around 11:00.
Was their a line of people waiting? I would be pissed if I was in line behind that guy and didn't get one after they let him buy 18 of them.
BQRyno
AG
WES2006AG said:

reveille23 said:

Was their a line of people waiting? I would be pissed if I was in line behind that guy and didn't get one after they let him buy 18 of them.

Wow I must have missed that. I was the first one there at 9:10 sitting in my car (paternity leave ftw). Other cars pulled up and we all just stayed in our cars. Finally at 9:40 some guy pulled up and walked up to the door, so we all got out to not end up at the back of a line. Basically everybody walked in and grabbed what they wanted. It was gone by about 9:50. I grabbed 4 of each. One for me, two for buddies at work, and one for wheatables. I didn't see anybody grab a whole case - most were just using the cases and doing half of each pick if anything. I think 6 bottles of Underbelly is most I heard/saw anyone grab.
jh0400
AG
The fact that it was all gone before the store was even supposed to be open is still kind of ridiculous.
BQRyno
AG
Yeah I'm not sure why they opened early. I'm glad I was there way ahead of time and had the opportunity to spend a couple hours of my day driving and waiting for bourbon. It's not usually possible for me.
AlaskanAg99
AG
The beer stupidity has hit bourbon. Except there's a lot less bourbon to go around.

Supposedly it's at another store but probably all gone. Debating driving over in traffic. I believe a two bottle limit should be enforced. But store owners tell me they don't care. a sale is a sale.
jh0400
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

The beer stupidity has hit bourbon. Except there's a lot less bourbon to go around.

Except if this was beer you'd have to go to the distillery and stand in line for hours to get it since it was a special release.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Need to build a Houston bourbon trade/mule list.
Post removed:
by user
Right Rigger
reveille23 said:

Those owners don't give a ***** They just want to move product! People getting all worked up about these store pics make me laugh.
BQRyno
AG
Right Rigger said:

reveille23 said:

Those owners don't give a ***** They just want to move product! People getting all worked up about these store pics make me laugh.
I've basically never found anything particular awesome/cool/unique. I don't have enough money to work through a point system, I don't have any great mom and pop shops close by, and I don't have any connections. Store picks are about the only unique thing I can buy, and it lets me try something slightly different then usual for a reasonable price. That's why I like picking them up when I can.
AlaskanAg99
AG
If I can get store picks I will. Same price as regular and it may be better. But there's only a few I go after,mostly EC. It seems the stores with picks are along the 45 and nothing on 10. The WB (Costco) picks seem pretty bland. I'm closer to 6/10, but work 290/610. But I can't be running all over trying to get these things. Esp down to NASA or Spring...fergitaboutit.

The only store on the reg that's feasible is Bling Pig.

BQRyno
AG
I'm in Richmond/Rosenberg, so I feel your pain on stores with decent picks nearby.
schmellba99
AG
reveille23 said:

Odds are that guy was buying for at least a dozen different folks. See it all the time, especially on the HBS group.
AlaskanAg99
AG
And the HBS is growing incredibly fast. All the lurkers hear of where 4 cases of unique stuff lands and 3,000 plus get wind of it. It's a double edge sword that's making things worse, not better.
jh0400
AG
I'm a lurker on HBS, but I'm in no danger of snagging one of the special picks unless it releases at the midtown Spec's, Tony K's, or possibly Rice Liquor.

I'm a little more upset that I'm still not able to drive, or I would've taken down at least one lot on HWE that had a One Fifth BT pick. I remember it being pretty good when I had it in the restaurant.
WES2006AG
AG
What is HBS?
tx4guns
AG
Houston Bourbon Society. Admin here.
AlaskanAg99
AG
It's the worst part of social media. Same **** happened with craft beer which made me pretty much ignore anything pro breweries do and focus on homebrewing. Profiteers/traders/horders are now doing the same to bourbon and there's a lot less to go around.

Old man yells at cloud. News at 11.
Furlock Bones
AG
i've given up trying to get the latest and greatest bourbons. i've had William Larue Weller and Pappy Van Winkle 15 and 20 years. they were good. but, the experience wasn't so good that i felt i needed to chase things anymore.

in fact lately, i've been trying out various Scotches. they seem to be toying a bit more now i guess in response to the bourbon craze.
reveille23
Quote:

Odds are that guy was buying for at least a dozen different folks. See it all the time, especially on the HBS group.
That is it exactly! The little lady in there said one guy from HBS came in and scooped up 16 bottles. WTF!
I'm done with that store. Found some other store picks up the road, and they have yet to be swarmed by the masses (yet). So my bourbon money will be going to them instead.
jh0400
AG
This isn't like beer then. That guy wouldn't have been muling for others. Those bottles would be on BSM for 3-4x cost.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ya know, I need to find some Weller 107. I like that stuff and have only a bottle left.

I did have some of my infinity bottle. Rules were min 10years or 100 proof/barrel proof went in. Had a pleasant mix of heat and maturity. I did 1oz from each bottle that fit the parameters. Could be multiple instances of the same bourbon, so long as it came from different bottles. No idea what the actual blend is.
FriedTex
AG
I disagree - they are amazing - but not worth the pain some go into getting them
AlaskanAg99
AG
So... anyone familiar with Paris? I have a local friend who is over there frequently and want to get some of the export onlys.
schmellba99
AG
Furlock Bones said:

i've given up trying to get the latest and greatest bourbons. i've had William Larue Weller and Pappy Van Winkle 15 and 20 years. they were good. but, the experience wasn't so good that i felt i needed to chase things anymore.

in fact lately, i've been trying out various Scotches. they seem to be toying a bit more now i guess in response to the bourbon craze.

Same here, chasing unicorn bottles wasnt worth it to me. Difference is that i am more into rum these days, scotch is bog water swill and I honestly do not comprehend how people actually like that stuff.
jh0400
AG
Furlock Bones said:

I was never able to get close enough to buying a unicorn at retail to even worry about it. I've been fortunate to try all of the BTAC except ER 17 (not spending $30+ per pour on what is most likely a 90 Proof oak bomb) and most of the VW line through acquaintances or at bars. I'd love to have a WLW or THH at home to share, but I doubt that will ever happen.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Im just happy I found EH Taylor while I'm in Austin this weekend. My bottle at home was getting low and haven't seen it in College Station.
Credible Source
AG
Which Taylor did you find?
jh0400
AG
Speaking of EHT, what's the best way other than BSM to find a BP?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Nothing special just the small batch. Just don't see it much back home, especially not marked up.

Did see the rye and I think single barrel but wasn't really paying attention since I wasn't looking for those
WES2006AG
AG
I saw a bottle of the Taylor single barrel the other day but the guy wanted $90 for it. Seemed high so I passed.
the dude10
AG
jh0400 said:

Speaking of EHT, what's the best way other than BSM to find a BP?

I have a couple I hoarded away two years ago. I could trade you one if you have anything interesting. I really like that stuff tho and never see it anymore.
First Page Last Page
Page 314 of 1107

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.